Galactic Starcruiser - what is next for this space?

I think they should turn it into a dinner show. Have the "transport" pick you up inside HS, get you to the venue, dinner and a show, he some of the interactive elements available (extra charge of course!) The hotel section is the tricky part. It will be interesting to follow this.

I think they should turn it into a dinner show. Have the "transport" pick you up inside HS, get you to the venue, dinner and a show, he some of the interactive elements available (extra charge of course!) The hotel section is the tricky part. It will be interesting to follow this.

Why not rent out the rooms by the hour for people who want to take a break from the park without going all the way back to their hotel?

I am assuming the cost of the actors for 3 days, combined with the small nature of the hotel, is what drove the prices so high.
The advertized rates for the auditions for the principle characters was under $19/hr, which might seem low until you compare against base actor's equity rates which are only about 2/3 of that. Only big stars on TV and big movies make a lot. Most professional actors don't make much. Multiply times number of principle characters and the time they were visible each day (8 hours -- 3PM to short of 11PM) plus makeup/costuming time and add in cost of taxes and benefits and it comes out to about $6000 per 2 day journey for the entire ensemble of principle characters including the Saja or roughly the price on average of one cabin. Principle cast was not that big a percentage of operating costs which is why I do not think they have to forego interactive cast. A lot (not all) of the 'blue-shirt' crew members were college program so much lower hourly rates, but many many more blue shirts than principle cast. I think they could combine shorter visits (especially mornings and early afternoon when the staying guests are mostly not on board) with continuing longer-timeline visits that include staying guests and balance the costs better to bring down the full length price while building more market for those stays through the immersive experience of short-visit guests. They already have the datapad app for Galaxy's Edge so they could leverage it in combination for shorter experience visitors.

Could it work as a buzz light year star command hotel focused on Toy Story (Pixar) fans. Seems like a lot of this could be repurposed and add a character breakfast and boom you are done.

I think they could combine shorter visits (especially mornings and early afternoon when the staying guests are mostly not on board) with continuing longer-timeline visits that include staying guests and balance the costs better to bring down the full length price while building more market for those stays through the immersive experience of short-visit guests.
Interesting idea. They could even spread out the longer trips and do something like short visits during the week and then one full-length voyage each Friday to Sunday.

They'll probably just let it sit vacant until they decide what to do, even if it's years from now. Remember how they built the first set of buildings for Pop Century but then only finished the second set, and they let the other partially done buildings sit vacant for years until they turned them into Art of Animation? Disney has no problem with just letting stuff sit.

Josh D’Amaro saying they plan to do something which is why I asked this question. Most people think it will sit vacant. Was there more recent comments that make people think this?

Article I read a few months ago which is why I thought they would do something with the space.

Josh D’Amaro saying they plan to do something which is why I asked this question. Most people think it will sit vacant. Was there more recent comments that make people think this?

Article I read a few months ago which is why I thought they would do something with the space.
Thanks, Daisy. For anyone who wants to read the original article with the full interview with Josh D'Amarao, here it is:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/disney-josh-damaro/

I hope D'Amaro can still follow through on that remark! I haven't been inside the Halcyon but by all accounts it's quite a place.

Last edited:

No, I’m just trusting what they’ve said during earnings reports over what D’Amaro said. I’m not really fond of D’Amaro’s brand of salesmanship at this point.

I think it all depends on just what assets they have written off. I think they might have held back some of the fittings so they could be used as set dressing elsewhere on property.

I think they could use the building for storage or offices without violating the writeoff terms, but that's probably about it; I'm pretty sure that the depreciation is based on it no longer being viable for use as what it was; a hotel and entertainment venue.

I think they could use the building for storage or offices without violating the writeoff terms, but that's probably about it; I'm pretty sure that the depreciation is based on it no longer being viable for use as what it was; a hotel and entertainment venue.
Yeah, storage/offices is what I was thinking. The space just wouldn't work for much else, even if they *could* use it without it interfering with the write-off.

For those more familiar with the layout, how possible would it be to convert it into a more lightly themed hotel resort property - something that would be priced similar to premium hotels, without the full immersion? Add or reveal a parking lot, convert the earthbound 'station' into a more normal lobby, convert the rooms to have actual windows, or even balconies, drop all the cast member performances and just have it themed like a starcruiser - even keep some of the interactive extras like light-saber training and bridge tours...but allow guests to stay for as many or few days as they like, have a bus service to other parks, convert the shuttle entrance to the back of DHS into a walking path into DHS with a gate for entry as a perk of staying there.
Having windows overlooking a parking lot and a bus stop, with people freely walking in and out all day, would kind of spoil the whole "Starcruiser" illusion, don't you think?

There is no Star Wars content that is universally well-liked by all fans. They all have their detractors.
Well the OT came pretty darn close don’t you think. Seen half the kids in grade school with a Star Wars lunch box lately. Well it was pretty darn close to that in the 80s. Cultural phenomenon no doubt, but now it’s just meh.

Well the OT came pretty darn close don’t you think. Seen half the kids in grade school with a Star Wars lunch box lately. Well it was pretty darn close to that in the 80s. Cultural phenomenon no doubt, but now it’s just meh.
Most of the millennials I know are all about the prequel era.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter