Galloway half marathon journal

HootDad

<font color=teal>Makes magical trips each year<br>
Hi all,

I recently made a post where I asked about training for a half marathon and was told about Jeff Galloway's "Half Marathon: You Can Do It!" (Thanks jodhe!). That book recommends keeping a journal and I figured - why not keep it here?

The book suggests a 38 week training plan with the marathon on the 35th week. I actually don't have 34 weeks until the WDW marathon - so I'm coming into week 12. Looking at the schedule this looks quite do-able for me, especially as Galloway suggests a "run, walk, run" approach. If I had to jog 6 miles next weekend I'd have trouble, but I think I'll be fine with "run, walk, run".

I'm going to write the training schedule here - obviously more for me than anyone else (I bought the book on my Nook and the font on the schedule is so tiny I can barely read it! - so I'll have this to refer to). I have modified the schedule slightly to work with my schedule. I'm a bit worried about the Thursdays because I have to take the train into the city on Thursdays - I'll see how that works out

Every day except Saturday is the same every week:
Sunday - off
Monday - 30 minute run
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - 30 minute run
Thursday - easy walk
Friday - off
Saturday (all are "run, walk, run"):

11-Aug - 6 Mile run
18-Aug - 3 Mile run
25-Aug - 6.5 Mile run
1-Sep - 1 mile run + Time Trial
8-Sep - 7 Mile run
15-Sep - 7.5 Mile run
22-Sep - 3 Mile run
29-Sep - 8.5 Mile run
6-Oct - 8 Mile run
13-Oct - 1 mile run + Time Trial
20-Oct - 9 Mile run
27-Oct - 3 Mile run
3-Nov - 10 Mile run
10-Nov - 4 Mile run
17-Nov - 11 Mile run
24-Nov - 1 mile run + Time Trial
1-Dec - 12 Mile run
8-Dec - 4 Mile run
15-Dec - 13 Mile run
22-Dec - 1 mile run + Time Trial
29-Dec - 14 Mile run
5-Jan - 4 Mile run
12-Jan - Half Marathon! WOOHOO!
19-Jan - 3 - 4 mile run
26-Jan - 5 - 6 mile run
2-Feb5 - 5 - 13 mile run

So you're actually only running 3 days a week, if I'm reading your schedule correctly. And walking one day.

hmmmmmm ... for myself, and I'm slightly older than you, that wouldn't be enough to prepare myself for a half. But then everyone is different!!

I'm hoping that the walking day turns into a running day before too long.

And maybe run a couple 5k races & a 10k or two before your half? Just so you can get a feel for what it's like to be a part of a race, no matter what size that race might be (number of runners).

Best wishes on your endeavor ...

So you're actually only running 3 days a week, if I'm reading your schedule correctly. And walking one day.

hmmmmmm ... for myself, and I'm slightly older than you, that wouldn't be enough to prepare myself for a half. But then everyone is different!!

I'm hoping that the walking day turns into a running day before too long.

And maybe run a couple 5k races & a 10k or two before your half? Just so you can get a feel for what it's like to be a part of a race, no matter what size that race might be (number of runners).

Best wishes on your endeavor ...

Well, like I wrote, I am following the plan for beginners by Jeff Galloway - and I figure he probably knows what he's talking about! :)

My first week following the Galloway program and so far so good.

In terms of weight loss I only lost .2 pounds this week so pretty much no change. On the other hand I weighed myself right after my run this morning and was down 2.6 pounds from Friday... but I'm strictly following the WW plan of having a "weigh-in" day and for me that is Friday, so we'll see what happens next week.

As to training, the big thing of course was the 6 mile run (okay, run/walk) this morning. I was able to do it with no problem though my pace was slower than I'd like. But, in my defense... 1) this was my first time doing this distance so I took it easy, 2) it's still a bit warm (about 70 and humid this morning) and I hope to increase my pace as it gets cooler, 3) I have not done a time trial yet so I'm not sure where my goal should be and 4) I figure I've still got plenty of time to get my pace up.

Finally I've been having a minor issue with my knee. I talked to my chiro and suggested messaging out my muscles with this message roller stick, so we'll see how that goes.

My first week following the Galloway program and so far so good.

In terms of weight loss I only lost .2 pounds this week so pretty much no change. On the other hand I weighed myself right after my run this morning and was down 2.6 pounds from Friday... but I'm strictly following the WW plan of having a "weigh-in" day and for me that is Friday, so we'll see what happens next week.

As to training, the big thing of course was the 6 mile run (okay, run/walk) this morning. I was able to do it with no problem though my pace was slower than I'd like. But, in my defense... 1) this was my first time doing this distance so I took it easy, 2) it's still a bit warm (about 70 and humid this morning) and I hope to increase my pace as it gets cooler, 3) I have not done a time trial yet so I'm not sure where my goal should be and 4) I figure I've still got plenty of time to get my pace up.

Finally I've been having a minor issue with my knee. I talked to my chiro and suggested messaging out my muscles with this message roller stick, so we'll see how that goes.

Good job. :cheer2:

I am also following the Galloway plan and it is working for me. I have to move some of the run/walk days around because I work 12 hr shifts and can't fit in a run on those days.

I am with you on the running as it gets cooler. I do much better on the days I can run in the morning before it gets hot.

Ask your chiro about KT tape. Mine recommended it for some foot problems and I know many of the runners around here use it for their knees. I am sold on it. :cool1:

Remember your long run (with Galloway) is supposed to be slow as it is helping build up your endurance. Your mid week runs at 30 mins are the ones to focus on pace and cadence.

Do I sound like I know what I'm talking about? I am a few weeks behind you in training, I'm doing Tink after you do WDW. So I'm am watching you and trying to keep up. :dance3: As she quickly flips thru Galloways book.

Please keep posting your progress.

Well looks like there are 3 of us doing the beginner's plan with Jeff Galloway.:thumbsup2 I also started a bit behind. I found on Jeff's website where if you were a "real" beginner, to do the conditioning. This consists of more walking during the week. So I am trying to incorporated that in also to the regular sessions. Not enough time to do both. :worried:

This will be my first 1/2 marathon. What better place to start than disney! :donald:

Hey if Jeff can have knee surgery and still come back to "run/walk/run" a marathon at the very young age of 60+. I figure he knows what he's talking about.

I will be following your progress popcorn:: and may add my own here, If you don't mind.

We can cheer each other on. :cool1: :goodvibes :yay:

indygirl99 said:

Ask your chiro about KT tape. Mine recommended it for some foot problems and I know many of the runners around here use it for their knees. I am sold on it. :cool1:

Please keep posting your progress.

Good tip about KT tape. I will check it out.

And thanks, I will!

John T - HootDad - Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

guardwife66 said:

I will be following your progress popcorn:: and may add my own here, If you don't mind.

We can cheer each other on. :cool1: :goodvibes :yay:

please do! Woohoo!

I went out to run my first "magic mile" this morning to get an idea of where I am at right now (after I got all KTtaped up). The verdit is that I made it in 14:14 :banana: that was run/walk/run intervals. I still can't run a mile straight yet.

So not yet fast enough to keep from being swept but still faster than my very first 5K. But at least I now have a point from which to improve. And I do have 5 months to work on that improvement. ::yes::

I think the rest of my runs this week I will head North from my house instead of south. If I go north I am at the top of a small (very small), hill that will add just a little bit more exertion effort. I think the total elevation change is 65 ft. Unfortunately it is down first then up but maybe up at the end is what I need.:lmao:

I went out to run my first "magic mile" this morning to get an idea of where I am at right now (after I got all KTtaped up). The verdit is that I made it in 14:14 :banana: that was run/walk/run intervals. I still can't run a mile straight yet.

Congrats! :thumbsup2:banana:

Great job so far! DH and I are running the half in January and this will be our 3rd half marathon. We used a modified Galloway program for our first half last year which was the Wine and Dine. We did the run/walk/run for the long run on the weekends and then had 3 runs during the week that started at 2 and built up to 6 miles as we got closer to the race.

You're pace is going to get faster as you continue to train. Those Magic Miles really do help to see your progress.

And as for KT Tape, I love the stuff! I had some bad IT band pain last year and with the tape on I had no problems keeping up with my training schedule.

On the weight side of things I lost another .6 pounds. Not great by better than going in the other direction! In the training side I did only 3 miles this weekend as per the training schedule. 6.5 next weekend. I picked up the pace a bit and was very pleased. I averaged about 13.5 minutes per mile doing run/walk/run, and perhaps more important I maintained pretty much the same speed through the entire 3 miles.

On the weight side of things I lost another .6 pounds. Not great by better than going in the other direction! In the training side I did only 3 miles this weekend as per the training schedule. 6.5 next weekend. I picked up the pace a bit and was very pleased. I averaged about 13.5 minutes per mile doing run/walk/run, and perhaps more important I maintained pretty much the same speed through the entire 3 miles.

Congrats! :cool1:

I wish I could report the same progress but I was so unmotivated last week. It makes it harder for me because I really don't like run/walk on my own. I wish there were someone local that was going to train with. :confused3

Guess I am just going to have to kick myself and get at it! I can do this!!! :rolleyes: :thumbsup2

I just found this thread and hope to join in regularly. I have been using JG's iphone app for the 1/2 marathon for about 3 months. I am training for the Tower of Terror run and trying to convince DH we must do the 1/2 in January at WDW.

Yesterday I completed my longest run yet, 8.3 miles in 2:03. The run/walk method works beautifully. Before I started I wasn't sure if I could even walk that distance without tiring but I did the run/walk and still had a little fuel in the tank.

I was motivated to use JG's method when I saw him speak at the pre-5K show in January 2012. He announced that anyone can complete a marathon. He said, "you just need 3 days a week". When I heard that I was on board!

I also have to lose weight and I'm down 18 pounds since May 2012. I hope to be down another 10 before the ToT run in September.

Good luck to everyone!

I just read on the RunDisney site that the terrain for ToT includes grass and sand? Does anyone know anything about that? I am not sure I'm ready to run on sand!

guardwife66 said:
Guess I am just going to have to kick myself and get at it! I can do this!!! :rolleyes: :thumbsup2

or download podcasts and listen like I do!

guardwife66 said:
What podcasts are you listening too?

DIS ('natch) both WDW and DL as well as WDW today. There are a few others I've heard about but haven't checked out yet. Also be sure to look for the live interviews between Jim Hill and Len Testa of WDW today - they are awesome although those are not ongoing podcasts.

DIS ('natch) both WDW and DL as well as WDW today. There are a few others I've heard about but haven't checked out yet. Also be sure to look for the live interviews between Jim Hill and Len Testa of WDW today - they are awesome although those are not ongoing podcasts.

Thanks! What a great way to stay inspired, listening to Disney. I will definitely be checking these out. Thanks so much!!:thumbsup2

Really good week this week (especially if you include the NYC DIS meet!)

On the weight loss side I'm down another 2.8 pounds (making me an even 14 pounds down from my high mark on July 6).

On the training side, I was scheduled on the Galloway plan to do a 6.5 mile run (run-walk-run) this weekend. Normally I would do this on Saturday. However, when I woke up Saturday I had 2 problems. First, I slept a bit later than I expected to which meant I would be getting a late start and I needed to be back at the house to let some workers in. The bigger problem, however, was that I woke up with a stiff back. More than stiff really - I knew from experience it was on the verge of completely giving out on me. So I decided to take it easy and hope it would be better on Sunday. I also started taking ibiprophin for good measure.

I woke up Sunday at 5AM and my back felt better but still a bit stiff. I took a couple more ibiprophin and went back to bed. I rose again at 6 and felt pretty good so I decided to go for it. I was extra careful to warm up and stretch well, and I also took it real easy on the run. As a result my time was not so great - although I think my time was still better than 2 weeks ago when I ran 6 miles. My per-mile average was about 15.5 minutes - again not great at all but like I said I was taking it easy. The main thing is I managed to finish the 6.5 miles and my back feels fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter