Gallstones/Gallbladder Surgery

I had mine removed a couple of years ago. I was back to work a week later, with a weight restriction of 10 lbs for about a month or so. Staying away from greasy/fried food and soda is recommended.

I started having severe pain in March 1997 and went to the ER. They misdiagnosed me as having acid reflux, prescribed Prilosec and released me.

The pain would go away, only to come back every month or so for about 3 months. The ER doc probably saw the previous note, assumed it was acid reflux, would give me Phenergan (which completed knocked me out) and send me home.

Then I had no pain for about 4 months. Everything's great, right? Later that fall I started having it again and it became more or less constant whenever I ate anything with a lot of fat or cholesterol in it. Eventually it got to where if something had any fat or cholesterol in it it would light me up. By the time I actually went to see someone other than an ER doc, I could only tolerate fat-free muffins and water.

He diagnosed me in about 5 minutes, got me an ultrasound 2 days later that confirmed it, and I had it out 5 days after that. They said my gallbladder was so diseased that they almost couldn't take it out laporoscopically, and open surgery would've had a much more significant recovery time. As it was, I was laid up about 5 days and was back to work.

Long story short: I wish I hadn't fooled myself into ignoring it when the pain went away for 4 months. If I'd gone to that doctor earlier in the year I could've avoided so much pain and the risk of complications.

I met with the surgeon this morning and my surgery is scheduled for Monday. I really liked her and she had great bedside manner. She said that if they suspect stones in the bile duct, they'll perform something called ERCP (a procedure done endoscopically) to remove those as well. She said that will make the surgery a little longer, but won't affect my recovery. I'm just hoping it's all very routine and goes as smoothly as possible. So far, so good with no recurrences, but I'm being SO careful with what I'm eating.

Had mine out as well about 10 years ago. Went in for my yearly physical and Doctor noticed my liver enzymes were elevated. Went for some test and sure enough mine was functioning at only about 7% normal. Scheduled surgery the next week. Funny thing is I never had a single symptom prior to that. Afterwords, I can eat anything I want.

Well, that's that. It's gone. The surgery was at 10:00 and I've been home since around 1:30 resting/sleeping. Feel okay overall. My biggest annoyances at the moment are shoulder pain (which I I guess is common for laparoscopic surgeries of any kind) and my throat being sore from intubation -- I've had some surgeries, but that was my first time being intubated.

So, now here's to hoping I can start introducing more fatty foods again soon (although, this was a wake up call to maybe not indulge quite as much as I'm used to) and that my recovery is fairly smooth. My DH is going to the pharmacy to pick up an oxycodone prescription just in case I need it, but I hope not.

I may pop back in for other questions. Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences!

Listen to your body and the Dr. I made the mistake of doing too much too fast because I felt fine and ended up back in bed with a fever.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Does anyone remember how long it took for your abdomen not to be swollen? I had lost a little weight from eating low fat the past two weeks, but now my stomach is so swollen.

Also, does anyone remember if they felt slightly nauseous after? I definitely have soreness in my torso, but not really pain -- I'm just taking Tylenol or ibuprofen as needed. But I almost feel like there is something in my chest, like I could throw up, but I don't think I actually will. I don't have a fever and feel okay overall, just this nausea thing that comes and goes.

i did have one sick spell about 7 days after my gallbladder was removed, and i was fine after I vomited bile (sorry for the detail). I had eaten Chinese food as a treat the day before, and I think my body was still adjusting to having no gallbladder. Check with your doc to be sure.

The bloated abdomen seems a little better today. I hope my belly button goes back to normal/small again.

I'm feeling better today. Not really nauseous, but I am having some heartburn-like feelings that come and go. I guess it just takes a while, like @bgirldeb said above for you body to adjust. I read about bile reflux (as opposed to acid reflux). Gosh, I really hope I don't have that, or if I do, it's just temporary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter