Gators at resorts...facts and wise tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the big cause for most of the arguing, is that some people really just can't believe some of us don't know anything about Florida wildlife. Most people do, but can't fathom that there are people who don't. As a person who doesn't, it really puts me off when someone tries to tell me I'm an idiot for not knowing. That doesn't mean we think that "Disney should be controlling all of the wildlife ". It means, "Let me know that this can happen". I've never even seen one before. (I'm in Canada), and it's the last thing I think of when I see a "no swimming" sign. I mean, don't they show movies right there on the beach?

Exactly.

I'm from New York, I've been to Disney World resorts 15+ times and I've never known that there were alligators anywhere let alone feet away from where my toddlers were frolicking on a kiddie beach. It's great that Floridians are taught this in grade school, that subject doesn't get covered up north. People out of Colorado don't know about avalanche safety, people out of Hawaii don't know about lava safety, people out of California don't know about earthquake safety. Perhaps we all know not to wander into the desert in Arizona without water, but alligators in every body of water north of the Everglades? Alligators in a patrolled, man-made lake in a luxury resort? Had no clue until yesterday. The family from Nebraska, same thing.

The sad news in this story is that a careless tourist is almost certainly responsible for the death of the 2 year old boy. Alligators of this size don't just approach people unless they have been conditioned to approach due to being fed over a period of time.

Dave

Someone knew that corporate barbecue's at the Beach Club and s'mores at the Grand Floridian might just condition alligators quite easily and they did nothing about it.

Someone could have scooped up those 5 alligators they found in 3 hours yesterday, do that every day, and reduce the threat significantly.

And, of course, the genius that decided that all resorts at Disney World around an alligator infested waterway needed imagineered beaches replete with lounge chairs, hammocks, swingsets, slides, and pails and shovels. That's just perfect. Oh, and then have no lifeguards on them. Oh, and then post no signs about reptiles. Oh, and then host evening events for children at feeding time.

It's not a careless tourist that is responsible. It's a multi-billion dollar corporation who put "atmosphere" ahead of safety, who knew of the danger, who didn't take action. They will now. Boy, will they now.

This thread should really be shut down. All of them in fact.
Fear gets the best of us and we act crazy when we think of the what ifs and search for a place to put the blame. We all think something like this could never happen, nonetheless happen to our family.
This world we live in can be a cruel place and regardless of the facts,opinions and everything in between may we all think of this family and pray for their healing and move forward without a pointing of a finger.

This thread should really be shut down. All of them in fact.
Fear gets the best of us and we act crazy when we think of the what ifs and search for a place to put the blame. We all think something like this could never happen, nonetheless happen to our family.
This world we live in can be a cruel place and regardless of the facts,opinions and everything in between may we all think of this family and pray for their healing and move forward without a pointing of a finger.

Completely agree especially now that we have the posters that want to cause drama and sensationalize this child's death back ..... and now the "old lady." I think that's the last straw.

Moderators, enough already. Tips have been given, the rest is pointless.

They need to put people with guns.

Seriously, the trolling is very inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter