Gay Day at Universal

Antonia

DIS Veteran
I read that June 2 is Gay Day at Universal. Has anyone been there for that before and how was it? I don't mind gays enjoying the park. However, I don't want my family to necessarily be surrounded in the pool by same sex couples. I am absolutely sure there are gays at the pool and at the park every day of the year - but is Gay Day just overwhelmed with same sex couples? And please, don't take offense to this post - I don't mean to start a debate.

I don't know about Universal, but from what I've heard from Disney parks, they act like any other guest. You might see two people of the same sex holding hands, but it's not like any other heterosexual guest showing affection.

LOL.. The funniest thing about it is that they do not act any different from "straight days". You could go today and find as many gay couples as any other time, doing nothing different.

We went one year "by accident" on gay day and didn't even realize it until I heard it in the news. That is how uneventful the day is.

Wanda

working for both WDW and UO, there isn't much of a difference in the parks on that day, except that for the most part, the guests are nicer. Employees and CM's (hey, I work at both of them!) get treated w/ more respect by the guests than say... on Night of Joy/Rock the Universe or Grad Nite/Grad Bash.

just my $0.02

I'm going and can't wait!!

I'm married, 30ish, hetero, and thrilled to be going. I'll be wearing my red shirt to symbolize the pride and respect and love I have for all my gay friends and cast members.

Most of the major events are all after hours and extra ticket type events. Pleasure Island will be the most crowded place every night.

I went last year, and unless you knew it was Gay Days in Universal or IoA, you would have never really noticed anything. In Disney it is noticeable because most wear red shirts, but most act just as any straight person would. Everyone is there to enjoy the park and the magic of the day. I'll be there again this year!

Outta curiousity....I was thinking of putting in a suggestion to the brass at UO that all employees (whether str8, bi, gay etc) would be allowed to wear a red ribbon on the Gay Day at UO to support the family. Just curious what people's opinons of this would be?

You can recommend it, but it's not an official event at any of the theme parks. Putting on a ribbon would kind of say that it is an official event at the parks. But try it -- you may be surprised!

We were visiting US in June of 98 (I think) and didn't even realize it was going on. No one showed extra affection , I have seen hetero couples going a little over the line by my standards but have yet to see a same sex couple pushing the line. I think most people regardless of sexual orientation have taste and know when to show affection and when not to. I hope I'm not coming off as lecturing, I'm really not! Go and have a good time!!! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter