Gay parents at WDW or DLR

Thanks for understanding my questions. I hesitated to even ask, since I've seen topics spin out of control on these forums!

As I've thought about it and read the recent posts, I realize the need for me time is definitely something that varies individually and situationally. I have my children every other week for one week at a time. I get more than enough me time during the week they are away from me. And even when they are with me, I don't smother them at all, and they spend time at their friends' homes in the neighborhood (or they all come to my house)! This gives me even more me time. I get plenty! I am also older, and have had a lifetime of me time, probably more than I needed!

I know others here have their children for much longer periods, and it can be so tough! Our school just started, so I have been trying to get back in that groove. Also, many have infants or very young children or special needs children, which is even more demanding. I definitely get the need for me time! I was just curious about vacations, and I think I get it. We've generally taken shorter, somewhat structured vacations. The idea of me time was just not part of the planning, although they will often spend hours playing with kids they meet at hotel pools, while I sip a few cocktails. As the kids become teens, and I start looking at things like cruises or larger resorts, I know they will want to do the clubs and other activities, and I will need to think more of the me time and how to best enjoy it.

Yeah we are just all in different shoes girl... as I stated in my other response above I just don't have me time lol which is great because I love spending all my time every day 24/7 with my DD BUT 1st vacation in years I am going to make myself get away one evening for some me time one way or another. Have not "planned" it yet and our schedule is packed. I have been pretty much the ring leader of this crazy trip and have scheduled some reservations for my parents to have couples time and my daughter and I to have mommy and daughter time (like every other day of my life but at WDW :D SO EXCITED) but yea im gunna run away and pretend I am kid at some point alone... I hope. If not it will be because like every other day of her life I do NOT want to miss a beat. I am blessed to work from home and I home school her (for now for the early years) ssssooo its always us time which is fantastic. :) We will be there 9 days but even if I run away one evening 2-4 hours I will most likely be told something I missed she did or said or saw during my me time that will make me super sad and torn about it even though I enjoyed me time for the first time in forever .... lol... im crazy. Am I the only one that every time I type and say "for the first time in forever" I get that song from Frozen in my head and have to sing it out loud? To think my daughter is not even Frozen crazy but this happens to me.

Okay, I'm honestly not being judgmental but genuinely curious, do you all really need me time when vacationing with your kids? I am lucky to have my DS11 and DD8 50 percent of the time and still spend every minute I can with them, especially on vacations. (We just returned from a great time in Pigeon Forge, TN!) Maybe it's because I'm older (53) and generally don't care if I date or not? Again, just curious...

OP, I also wonder what you being gay has to do with this. We're you looking for more gay-specific recommendations? If you don't get them here, you can try the LGTB Forum. There is good information all across the DIS!

Count me in as another mom who has her child all but about 5-6 weeks out of the year. My son's dad lives out of state, so visitation is a month in the summer, a week at Christmas, and sometimes spring break. In addition, my son is an only child, so it's important to me that we can have vacations where we BOTH get "me" time. I can't even tell you how much he loved the kids' club on our Disney cruise and having other kids to hang out with on our ABD trip.

As far as being open about one's life, it can be relevant, depending on your perspective. As a single mom, I don't always feel welcome among traditional families (where mom and dad are married). Another single mom posted here that she was afraid the singles meet ups on cruises are for people looking for dates (that hasn't been my experience). I can imagine that we all have reasons why we might not feel included in a certain group, but my personal experience is that single moms are some of the most inclusive, non-judgemental, and supportive people I have ever met.

I can't say much about single dads, simply because I don't know very many. And most of the ones I have met was in a dating-type situation, and they turned out to be complete jerks.

Count me in as another mom who has her child all but about 5-6 weeks out of the year. My son's dad lives out of state, so visitation is a month in the summer, a week at Christmas, and sometimes spring break. In addition, my son is an only child, so it's important to me that we can have vacations where we BOTH get "me" time. I can't even tell you how much he loved the kids' club on our Disney cruise and having other kids to hang out with on our ABD trip.

As far as being open about one's life, it can be relevant, depending on your perspective. As a single mom, I don't always feel welcome among traditional families (where mom and dad are married). Another single mom posted here that she was afraid the singles meet ups on cruises are for people looking for dates (that hasn't been my experience). I can imagine that we all have reasons why we might not feel included in a certain group, but my personal experience is that single moms are some of the most inclusive, non-judgemental, and supportive people I have ever met.

I can't say much about single dads, simply because I don't know very many. And most of the ones I have met was in a dating-type situation, and they turned out to be complete jerks.

I hate to say it, but I feel the same way. Not exactly sure why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter