• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Genie+ during Spring Break Crowds

All the hard to get genie + reservations for Epcot were gone by 11:00 this morning. Genie + was $29 per person today, and we are only getting TT and Soarin. We will have to ride Remy and frozen at deluxe hours tonight.

Genie + does not work well at HS and Epcot when it is crowded. All the good ones are already reserved by lunch.

G+ was $29 at MK on Sunday (3/12). It turned out to be a HUGE ripoff. It was crowded but not unmanageable. BTMRR was down most of the day and other heavy hitters like Pan and Pirates were intermittently shut down. *** Disney - DO BETTER!! My family of 4 had 2 different LL reservations for BTMRR that were eventually cancelled (one was made at 7am the other later in the day when it looked like it might open) - beyond frustrating. We even rope dropped Space Mtn and that had a delayed start due to audio issues. I know there are going to be ride reliability issues BUT if you are going to charge a premium for G+, PLUS one of your main rides is out of service for an extended period of time (Splash Mtn), make an effort to make your customers whole when your operations fall WELL below expectations. I really felt gouged.
When you have LL reservations cancelled, I thought they give you an "Anytime LL"?

We have always been there that week as that's when our school break usually is and it was never horrible. And I usually love planning Disney vacations, but now it seems like I can't get any dining ressies, the extra costs for the used to be free FP's, it is stressing me out!
If I had to pick just one word to describe changes to the current state of WDW trips: tortuous

Made me laugh when my family all started texting me details about Iger/Disney feigning concern about ‘aggressive’ pricing. They knew what they were doing the whole time. The only real concern they have now is for cracks starting to show, and timing of those cracks with the economy and Epic Universe and Texas on their tail. Of course they’ll try to spin upcoming better deals as goodwill and concern. I don’t have any insider knowledge but 100% don’t buy that it’s altruistic motives. Self preservation is more like it, that maybe they’ve gone too far from the formula that made WDW such an easy choice for guests and families.

G+ was $29 at MK on Sunday (3/12). It turned out to be a HUGE ripoff. It was crowded but not unmanageable. BTMRR was down most of the day and other heavy hitters like Pan and Pirates were intermittently shut down. *** Disney - DO BETTER!! My family of 4 had 2 different LL reservations for BTMRR that were eventually cancelled (one was made at 7am the other later in the day when it looked like it might open) - beyond frustrating. We even rope dropped Space Mtn and that had a delayed start due to audio issues. I know there are going to be ride reliability issues BUT if you are going to charge a premium for G+, PLUS one of your main rides is out of service for an extended period of time (Splash Mtn), make an effort to make your customers whole when your operations fall WELL below expectations. I really felt gouged.
This is how our MK went last spring break. G+ was pretty much useless, though we did get an awesome spot to view the parade. That was about it.

If I had to pick just one word to describe changes to the current state of WDW trips: tortuous

Made me laugh when my family all started texting me details about Iger/Disney feigning concern about ‘aggressive’ pricing. They knew what they were doing the whole time. The only real concern they have now is for cracks starting to show, and timing of those cracks with the economy and Epic Universe and Texas on their tail. Of course they’ll try to spin upcoming better deals as goodwill and concern. I don’t have any insider knowledge but 100% don’t buy that it’s altruistic motives. Self preservation is more like it, that maybe they’ve gone too far from the formula that made WDW such an easy choice for guests and families.
You're not gonna like what I have to say...:duck:

Essentially, as long as the parks are crowded nearly all the time, Disney is not charging enough for admission. Their "aggressive" pricing isn't aggressive enough. They raise their prices faster than inflation, and yet the parks remain very popular. TOO popular. Part of that is marketing and the Disney "family vacation" mystique, but, given the number of repeat visitors, people still see value in everything you get for what you pay.

I think Genie + is a way of increasing revenues without incurring the kind of backlash that would result from a massive admission ticket hike. But the guest experience is still impacted by crowds. Personally, I'm not rich, but would gladly pay a lot more to get in...IF I knew that meant that the parks are not slammed, and the wait times are much lower.

As it is, people make many short trips. Wouldn't it be preferable to pay more, less often, for a higher quality experience? Maybe once every 2-3 years instead of once a year, for example.

Last edited:
Essentially, as long as the parks are crowded nearly all the time, Disney is not charging enough for admission. Their "aggressive" pricing isn't aggressive enough. They raise their prices faster than inflation, and yet the parks remain very popular. Part of that is marketing, but, given the number of repeat visitors, people still see value in everything you get for what you pay.

I think Genie + is a way of increasing revenues without incurring the kind of backlash that would result from a massive admission ticket hike. But the guest experience is still impacted by crowds. Persnally, I'm not rich but would still gladly pay a lot more to get in if I knew that meant that the parks are not slammed and the wait times are much lower. As it is, people make many short trips. Wouldn't it be preferable to pay more, less often, for a higher quality experience? Maybe once every 2-3 years instead of once a year, for example.
Surprise! I do like what you have to say.

The demand has been there. And even while grumbling I continue to visit WDW. 2 trips this year.

But after watching the evolution, especially the last 5 years or so, I will never believe Bobs/Disney saying that pricing motivation was to quell crowds, and that discount motivation is their gesture at goodwill.

Surprise! I do like what you have to say.

The demand has been there. And even while grumbling I continue to visit WDW. 2 trips this year.

But after watching the evolution, especially the last 5 years or so, I will never believe Bobs/Disney saying that pricing motivation was to quell crowds, and that discount motivation is their gesture at goodwill.
That is a surprise, thanks.

I would say that the bottom line is their primary motivation, by necessity, but they also have secondary considerations. I may be wrong, but I believe that they would prefer to have somewhat less guests, but make more money per guest. They seem to be inching toward that business model, especially when it comes to the pricing of their hotels, and food outlets/souvenirs.

But again, they are also concerned with avoiding a public backlash. If they raise prices too fast, they will be accused of being greedy. Personally, I don't see that as "greed", but a move toward offering higher quality vacations for a premium price.

Essentially, as long as the parks are crowded nearly all the time, Disney is not charging enough for admission. Their "aggressive" pricing isn't aggressive enough. They raise their prices faster than inflation, and yet the parks remain very popular. TOO popular. Part of that is marketing and the Disney "family vacation" mystique, but, given the number of repeat visitors, people still see value in everything you get for what you pay.

I think Genie + is a way of increasing revenues without incurring the kind of backlash that would result from a massive admission ticket hike. But the guest experience is still impacted by crowds. Personally, I'm not rich, but would gladly pay a lot more to get in...IF I knew that meant that the parks are not slammed, and the wait times are much lower.

As it is, people make many short trips. Wouldn't it be preferable to pay more, less often, for a higher quality experience? Maybe once every 2-3 years instead of once a year, for example.
I agree! Though with Genie+, they're trying to appease the masses but are angering the masses at the same time. They should probably adapt a system similar to Universal's express pass and charge $100-$150 a day, on top of ticket prices. That way, few people buy it making their experience amazing while also making it less painful for those waiting on standby lines. Instead, Disney would rather maximize revenues by overselling a inferior product.

I agree! Though with Genie+, they're trying to appease the masses but are angering the masses at the same time. They should probably adapt a system similar to Universal's express pass and charge $100-$150 a day, on top of ticket prices. That way, few people buy it making their experience amazing while also making it less painful for those waiting on standby lines. Instead, Disney would rather maximize revenues by overselling an inferior product.
Unfortunately, it wouldn’t be as cheap as that. Universal typically charges that on the slow days/low end for the once/attraction Express Pass at a single park. The unlimited pass or one that’s good for both parks is considerably higher, like high $200s to $300s. You think people are angry now, see what happens when they charge those prices. I personally wouldn’t mind. We always stay at the UO deluxe hotels to get the unlimited. We also usually buy Genie+ and ILL.

Unfortunately, it wouldn’t be as cheap as that. Universal typically charges that on the slow days/low end for the once/attraction Express Pass at a single park. The unlimited pass or one that’s good for both parks is considerably higher, like high $200s to $300s. You think people are angry now, see what happens when they charge those prices. I personally wouldn’t mind. We always stay at the UO deluxe hotels to get the unlimited. We also usually buy Genie+ and ILL.
If Disney had a system similar to Express, I don't think they would give it for free as a perk to on site hotels. There are way more hotels than at Universal. I also think it would still sell out at whatever price Disney charged for it, similar to how even the VIP tours sell out.

I get Express after 4 with my AP and it's awesome. I get way more done in those evening hours than without it during the day.

If Disney had a system similar to Express, I don't think they would give it for free as a perk to on site hotels. There are way more hotels than at Universal. I also think it would still sell out at whatever price Disney charged for it, similar to how even the VIP tours sell out.

I get Express after 4 with my AP and it's awesome. I get way more done in those evening hours than without it during the day.
Both your comments prove Universal doesn't come close to Disney in terms of demand. Disney doesn't haveto do anything and the parks will still be bursting at the seams and people will continue to pay for krappy service like Genie+. Perhaps Universal's new park will change the calculus a little bit. But by then, Universal will also probably haveto increase their prices significantly to make up for all those capital investments.

They couldn’t give it as a hotel perk. I still think the cost would be way more than most people would pay. Maybe it wouldn’t anger people as much because it would be so expensive. I haven’t heard people being angry about the Starcruiser. Just saying that it was too much money for them.

Both your comments prove Universal doesn't come close to Disney in terms of demand. Disney doesn't haveto do anything and the parks will still be bursting at the seams and people will continue to pay for krappy service like Genie+. Perhaps Universal's new park will change the calculus a little bit. But by then, Universal will also probably haveto increase their prices significantly to make up for all those capital investments.
Universal already charged a decent amount for park tickets, pretty close or more than WDW. I don’t know where they will go once Epic opens.

Universal already charged a decent amount for park tickets, pretty close or more than WDW. I don’t know where they will go once Epic opens.
It will draw a lot of Disney fans to Epic. I think pricing will be similar to Disney. I firmly believe that Epic Universal is good for both Universal and Disney. Competition is a good thing. And may also alleviate crowding at Disney. That last part might be wishful thinking.

I don't disagree. People moan and whine about the prices and Genie+ (myself included) and yet they pay for it anyway. I like both Disney and Universal and go to both often. I just came back from a weekend at Universal and really liked not planning anything or having to bother with Genie+. Definitely agree that Epic Universe opening will make Universal increase their prices. I'm already predicting that the annual passes will go up in price.

I don't disagree. People moan and whine about the prices and Genie+ (myself included) and yet they pay for it anyway. I like both Disney and Universal and go to both often. I just came back from a weekend at Universal and really liked not planning anything or having to bother with Genie+. Definitely agree that Epic Universe opening will make Universal increase their prices. I'm already predicting that the annual passes will go up in price.
APs, tickets, Express pass, even deluxe hotels. I think they will ALL go up in price. Of course it's always a delicate balancing act, creeping up prices without scaring away the customer base. I know that the deluxe hotels are expensive at Universal but they're probably not expensive enough, considering what it comes with, unlimited express passes. That's crazy.

I think Disney should have kept FP+, but started to charge money for it. They weren't going to keep a free fast pass service, we know that. But G+/ILL/VQ seems to be too unwieldy, among other complaints.

I don't think a service like Express Pass would work at Disney. It would sell out every day, making it not worth the price. Disney is just too popular for that kind of system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter