GIANT Pumpkins (Updated - Pics!)

Ye be proud of yer grand gourd, matey! Arrr....many a jack be wantin' a bigger un'!

Arrrr......

Drat, I think a 475 lb. gourd is very impressive!!! :) You should be proud of your ribbon! Where are you going to hang it?

Any ideas on how to avoid the rot on the bottom, for next year? You are going to try it again next year, aren't you?

This has been so interesting (and fun), thank you for sharing your experiences with us, and I hope you've enjoyed it! :)

Here are some pics, with a couple more still on route! You may want to add some comments, Drat.

gourdhelpers.jpg

gourdintruck.jpg

At the fair!
athefair.jpg

atthefair2.jpg

atthefair3.jpg

Well...drat, that is one beautiful truck..oh yeah...the pumpkin...very nice, very BIG...I'm sorry is rotted...but you got a ribbon on your first attempt out..impressive!

1100 pounder?????gee, what girl wouldn't want one of those.

Two more pics of Gordo! :) I thought that was a great name, Vanessa! ;) :)

Drat's friend Emma, and the big guy. :)
pumpkinemma.jpg

Gordo, and his ribbon. :)
pumpkinribbon.jpg

Drat, I assuming that's the fungicide paste I see, on the stem? Are you going to be able to save the pumpkin for Halloween, or is that too far off, considering the rot problem?

I will certainly try one more year. I think I reached my minimum weight this year (500 lbs), next year I'll go for 1,000 lbs!

Yes, the green paste you see is the fungicide. You can also see the white window caulking.

Unfortunately, the pumpkin will not last until Halloween. It is rotting very quickly. I left the pumpkin in the back of my truck last night and this morning there was a puddle of pumpkin goo under it on the driveway.

I will try to harvest the seeds if they are salvageable. I will make them available to anyone who wants some as long as they send me a SASE bubble pack envelope. IF I'm successful with the seeds, I'll post all my contact info.

I was going to run a "Name the Pumpkin" contest during the summer. The suggestion of Gourdo is excellent. But, as we all remember from from my earlier posts, one of the first things we learned was that all pumpkins come from the female flower, therefore all pumpkins are female.

Over the winter break, lets think of some good female names for next years prize winner!!!!

Thanks for everyone's interest in this thread.
Drat

Originally posted by drat
I was going to run a "Name the Pumpkin" contest during the summer. The suggestion of Gourdo is excellent. But, as we all remember from from my earlier posts, one of the first things we learned was that all pumpkins come from the female flower, therefore all pumpkins are female.

Over the winter break, lets think of some good female names for next years prize winner!!!!

Thanks for everyone's interest in this thread.
Drat

Ooops...I guess it's a Gordella not a Gordo....:o :)

Once again, thank you Dave. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with us, it's been a lot of fun. I think you did wonderfully well for your first real attempt at growing a giant pumpkin, and I'm sure next year's will be a whopper!! :)

Please don't be a stranger, stop by anytime, you're a
Bud now, you know!! :) :)

...okay, I was having yet another senior moment..lol....you are going to stay and visit.....yippee! :bounce:

PUMPKIN GOO!!!! Oh, now that's my very favorite stuff!

girl names, huh? All right, i'll work on it...oh, how about cinderella..ya know, big pumpkin carriage and all?

Drat, thank you very much for contributing to this forum...I loved this thread....

I have to move 4 gardens and 2 trees for some construction we are doing this winter....after all is said and done, I may just have enough room and sun for an offspring of your famous first try...I think i'd love some seeds...then we can have a competition next year.

What a fun thread this was to read! Thank you for sharing your pumpkin adventures.

Wow! That pumpkin in huge. I can't imagine what an 1100 pounder looks like. Well done Drat. Sorry it split and is rotting though. I look forward to next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter