Gift ideas for 70 year old

Does he use an iPad? The 12 inch iPad Pro is a nice gift. Some people who need reading glasses don’t even need to use them as the print can easily be made bigger. That might be something to consider/chip in on together? You can find them refurbished for less.

When my Dad was still alive, we had great success with experiences for he and my Mom rather than objects. They had just moved to So Cal, so we got them seats to a hockey game, the Hollywood Bowl, a sailing ship, that sort of thing. Gifts for my Mom now that my Dad has passed away have been considerably more difficult.

LSS - could you maybe take him to Disneyland?

A really nice everyday coat (Keep comfort in mind).

Some type of mail subscription like beer of the month or fruits of the month, etc.

An experience - a show or visiting somewhere he likes, that you all do together (maybe lunch or dinner too).

Maybe a gift of his favourite spirit?

This is what we did for my grandparents, and now do for my folks. A more than decent bottle of the alcohol /wine of his choice that he would really enjoy but wouldn't buy himself.
Of course, I come from a family of drinkers, and this would be a welcomed gift.
If your father doesn't drink, perhaps he'd really value time spent with you & your siblings? A day trip somewhere, a special meal out, an activity you know he'd enjoy but wouldn't bother to do by himself? Museum he always wanted to go to? Historical location he always wanted to visit? Something along those lines perhaps-

Does he use an iPad? The 12 inch iPad Pro is a nice gift. Some people who need reading glasses don’t even need to use them as the print can easily be made bigger. That might be something to consider/chip in on together? You can find them refurbished for less.
I agree. I got my dad an iPad when he was in his 80's -he's in his 90's now and has upgraded on his own a couple times. He has macular degeneration so it helps as he can adjust the font when reading. Best investment ever....

A few hits for our over 77 year old moms these last 2 Christmases

A raised planter box. She can stand up to plant in it and pick the produce. She grew so much produce last spring/summer. Loved it.

Dh got me one for this spring.

A new smart tv- was only $180. Helped her cancel direct TV. Signed her up for Hulu Live because that's the service with her must watch tv. She had Amazon Prime. And now she has so many free stations with the preloaded stuff on TV and her favorite shows. And she'll save $1300 this year, the difference in her direct TV service and Hulu Live.

Said it was the best Christmas present ever.

Is he active? I have 2 brothers in their 70’s, 1 is 76 and 1 is 74, and they love playing Pickle Ball. My husband and I are in our late 50’s and have started playing too - it is so much fun. Maybe get him a racket and some balls and take him to play.

My dad asked for some hearing aids for his birthday. His current hearing aids were purchased at Costco and the price was much better and the equipment they used for testing was much newer and superior to the equipment used at the ear, nose, and throat clinic. Hearing aids have been a racket for years. Additionally i would order him a lot of hearing aid batteries, that he has some peace with that for a while.

Last edited:
I am 77 years old. The best gift my children and grandchildren can give me is their time. Sometimes we cook burgers, then play Shanghai Rummy. We laugh until it hurts and it's wonderful. So my suggestion is that you make your dad's favorite meal and do something together after dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter