Girls Only Cocktail Sipping, Double Dipping Trip Report - COMPLETED...

Friday May 9th:
I awoke bright n' early and sent Richard for more morning provisions from Roaring Forks - I knew there was a reason he was good to have along! No time for dilly-dallying however as we were all booked to do the Segway Tour at Fort Wilderness later that morning. We decided to drive to Fort Wilderness and catch the internal bus to get to the meeting point. Which is exactly what we did!

IMG_0911.jpg

The Wilderness Back Trail Adventure was hosted by two great laid-back guys and we had a totally terrific tour! Sophie and I had enjoyed the Epcot Segway tour last October but this was Richard's first time - I loved watching his concentration as he steered the Segway through the cones and down a slope... So after a short safety film, a few practice manoeuvres and a rest room stop, we were off! Now this was a much more strenuous excursion than we'd previously experienced as we bounced, bobbed and buffeted along the trails. Again, I'm not going to go into too much detail - suffice to say, this exhilarating excursion is great fun and I can't wait until Samuel's 16 so we have an excuse to do it all over again...

IMG_0913.jpg

After a couple of hours, we made our way back to the car and I drove to the Alamo desk at the Dolphin so we could add Richard onto the hire agreement. This hassle-free procedure took minutes and cost nothing - how often can you say that?! As we had nothing planned for the rest of the day until the Pirates and Princesses Party in the evening, it seemed like a great shopportunity had presented itself! So we returned to the Premium Outlets Mall as there were a couple of items wanted to pick up. Sadly I didn't go anywhere near the Fendi store :sad: but I did manage to buy a couple of pretty Coach bags as gifts for my girlfriends. Richard (not a natural shopper) spent waaay too long in the Nike outlet only to exit with a multi pack of trainer socks - sad really... :rotfl:

By mid-afternoon we were hungry and so it was time to do something we'd hardly ever done before - eat off-site!!! Courtesy of our tip-top tourist map, I was able to pinpoint a couple of feasible food outlets and we decided to try Red Lobster in the Crossroads shopping area! Good choice! As it was around 4.30, I doubted it would actually be open but it was and we had the most fabulous seafoody feast for so few dollars it seemed silly! Can't wait to return TBH... We also popped into a nearby liquor store and bought a bottle of Moet to take onboard for the Sail Away party - all in all a very satisfying afternoon...

Richard propelled us back to the resort where we prepared ourselves for the Pirates and Princesses Party with passion! Before long we headed out again, this time on foot to catch a launch to the Magic Kingdom. Dusk was falling and the skyline was a magical silhouette ...

IMG_0878.jpg

Fortunately we didn't have to wait too long for a Friendship to show up and were soon chugging past the Contemporary towards Cinderella's Castle...

The evening started wonderfully well. We mingled with the crowds along Main Street, absorbing the atmosphere and savouring the oh-so familiar sights. I had the usual lump in my throat - what is it about this place that it can choke up such a cynical chick as myself...? Mmmm, anyway our feet were taking us to Adventureland and Pirates of The Caribbean - always a great start to any MK mission. We rode with Cap'n Jack a couple of times before heading to Big Thunder Mountain as the fireworks were starting. Riding BTMR continuously with pyrotechnics popping above your head is an absolute must-do IMO and we had a magical experience...

IMGP0027.jpg

IMGP0028.jpg

IMGP0029.jpg

And that was where the evening's enjoyment ended for me. Next up, Splash Mountain. The three of us had a log to ourselves and we were soon heavily involved in following the plot and singing along... It was on that first short drop that I got a downright drowning! We are talking head to toe H2O!! A major marination!!! Oh how we laughed as we skipped off to scare ourselves silly in Haunted Mansion. I stopped laughing quite soon after as my sensitive skin started to feel increasingly irritated. Wearisome woman that I am, I have widespread severe psoriasis and despite attempting constantly to keep the condition under control, the most unexpected experience can cause a problem. I guess the chemicals in the Splash Mountain flume affected me adversely (tho' I've never experienced any such problem before) and, to cut a long, tedious and self-pitying story short, I'm still suffering several weeks later... :(

The evening was ruined for me and my general fed-up feeling was only exacerbated by the queue for Space Mountain (guys, we've paid extra, open up both sides of the attraction - PLEASE!!!) and a cockroach :eek: that got much too close for comfort as I waited on a wall for Richard to buy a bottle of water... :mad: We left just before midnight on a packed boat, my skin prickling and burning. Back in the room, I examined the damage and was horrified at the extent of the problem. Fortunately I had some cream with me. Unfortunately there wasn't much remaining. In an attempt to lift my seriously slumping spirits, Sophie made us all a night-cap and we retired to bed... Cocktail count = 4...

:hug: Oh what a shame your lovely day was ruined like that - I hope it didn't affect the rest of your holiday

Did you dress up for the Princess & Pirate party ?

Oh Karen, sorry you had a psoriasis flare-up, my best childhood friend had it and I know it used to get her down.
My Poppy was born with Eczema and it made her a miserable ickle baby, especially the four times a day cream up sessions! Luckily, at 18months it just disappeared.
Skin conditions can be really horrible.
Your trippie is entertaining from the start, I am waiting to hear your next installment - hopefully a good night sleep and all will be well.

Saturday May 10th:
I decided upon waking that, whatever the state of my skin, I was not going to let it ruin our last full WDW day! I purposefully proposed a "Three Parks In One Day" (TPIOD) plan which the others seemed to agree with - I don't know about you but I always assume a grunt signals acquiescence...

We showered and dressed before dashing out to catch a bus to Animal Kingdom. The rules of TPIOD demand that at least two headlining rides are enjoyed at each park and with that in mind we made our way swiftly to Expedition Everest to pick up a Fast Pass before joining a short queue at the Dino-Institute. Once again we successfully brought back the Iguanodon and before long were out in the fresh air and deciding to take a chance on Primeval Whirl! This was bone batteringly brilliant and we arrived back at EE ready to take on the Yeti! Richard and Sophie hadn't been to AK since the summer of 2006 and could barely remember this ride. I, on the other hand, had ridden it three times in succession with Samuel last December! Woohoo! Bring it on!! Within minutes, we boarded the train. Unfortunately, a rather large last minute single rider got in next to Sophie and not only squashed her but also attempted to engage her in conversation! Poor girl! Still, we all agreed the ride was fantastic and if we hadn't been on a marathon multi-park mission, we'd have picked up another round of Fast Passes... But time was ticking. We walked to the bus stops, intending to get on whichever carriage came first. And as a "Hollywood Studios" hot-rod was waiting, that's where we went next...

Once inside, we quickly conquered the Tower of Terror and Rock n Rollercoaster! And so it was that within the hour we were on a boat, EPCOT-bound...

I love entering EPCOT at the World Showcase entrance - I don't know why, it's just so tranquil and nothing like what you expect from a theme park. But then I love the World Showcase and visiting during the Flower and Garden Festival is always a treat... So we strolled to France and decided to enjoy a couple of drinks along the way. I opted for champagne - I bet that surprised you! Richard ordered a glass of red whilst Sophie decided to try the Grey Goose slushie! Delighted with our choices, we wandered the World, watching street performers and savouring the sights and smells of the F&GF...

Suddenly peckish, thoughts turned to food and, as we were in Morocco, the consensus was to try the Tangerine Cafe. Oh my - the food here was so yummy! I definitely want to go here again...

But Italy was inviting us over, so we jumped Japan and side-stepped the States! I had a purposeful glint in my eye as we made our way into La Bottega. For there, in all it's glory, lay bottle after bottle of the truly remarkable Rosa Regale Brachetto d'Acqui - that's sparkling wine to you!

IMGP1482.jpg

IMGP1484.jpg

Now, dear reader, it's time for me to get serious. Please raise your right hand and repeat after me: "I swear on the DIS that the next time I go to the World Showcase, I will glug a glass of Rosa Regale!" Well done - I'm sure you won't regret it. Anyway, this is a delicious deep red bubble-fest that is tastes like the best champagne cocktail. Bizarrely I have had no joy locating it here in the UK so I bought a bottle in "Italy" and it sits in my pantry as we speak - I'm intending to pop the cork on my birthday...

Richard had never tried this nectar before but was so impressed he suggested another round and we sat in the sun, enjoying both the spectacular gardens and The World Showcase Players performing Romeo & Juliet... But hang on - what about the rides?!!! In a Maelstrom minute we had finished our flutes and were nearing Norway, having jumped Germany and eschewed China. I always get the giggles on Maelstrom - it's something to do with the facial hair, I think... :rotfl2: Anyway we ducked the film and marched straight to Mexico for the Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros - I just love the bit when you sail past the San Angel Inn - I can't stop myself from wildly waving at the diners... ;)

Before long, we found ourselves in Future World where Sophie and I introduced Richard to Club Cool! He sampled everything before pronouncing Beverly his favourite - it's his Italian genes, I guess... We checked the waiting times for the remaining attractions and everything was crazy so we decided that, to conclude our whistle-stop tour, we'd visit the re-vamped Spaceship Earth. Which we did and loved! From the dulcet tones of Dame Judi Dench to the interactive time-machine! All agreed this was a grand way to end a great day as we walked slowly to catch the bus back to base...

We spent a pre-dinner hour packing before ambling to to Artist Point for the final WDW meal of this vacation. We managed to squeeze in a round of Kir Royales before being seated and examining the menu. I particularly like this restaurant, not least because it has an excellent Pacific North West wine list and yet again it didn't disappoint. During the meal, conversation turned to the up-coming cruise and Sophie began speculating what the Navigator's verandah would be like...

Richard and I looked at each other and he nodded, so I said, "I don't think you're going to find out!" Sophie eyed me quizically and asked, "Why?" "We-elll," I began and proceeded to explain that actually we weren't going to be in a Category 7, 6, 5 or 4. "A suite?!!!" she spluttered and we nodded. I was going to leave it there but I'm ashamed to confess that once the blabbing starts it's impossible to stop so...

"Not just any suite - the Roy O Disney suite, baby!!!" I shrieked!!! And we all started whooping, much to the amusement (I hope) of the staff and diners alike! "I can't believe it!" our daughter declared repeatedly - and she couldn't. Especially the part where I'd managed to keep my lips well and truly zipped for almost 4 months! Actually, I find that tough to take in but, hey, it's gotta be good when you can still surprise yourself after almost 45 years... :rolleyes1

Buzzing with booze and cruise news, the three of us strolled around Wilderness Lodge for one last look at the resort before returning to the room for a final night-cap... Cocktail count = 7...

..Did you dress up for the Princess & Pirate party ?

We just wore our Pirate Night tops, Mandy - tho' we saw plenty of people in full regalia! And the number of grown-up 'princesses' was something of a surprise... ;) :rolleyes1

...Your trippie is entertaining from the start...

Thanks, Joanne - just glad you're enjoying my self-indulgent ramblings... :goodvibes

I've had that experience with Splash twice now. The first was during a MNSSHP night. I was strongly opposed to making it the first ride of the evening, but I was outnumbered 7:1. Sure enough, as I'd predicted, I got drenched, but I made them all suffer. Moaned all night long.

More recently, during a trip with the Stringers and the Oklahoma contingent (precisely which trip escapes me), I'd threatened to pull a major tantrum if my painstakingly straightened hair became even slightly damp. No prizes for guessing that I got wet in places I didn't even know I had places (head to toe H2O - love that! :rotfl: ). Mr K Stringer of this parish has video footage of me in stitches of laughter as the ride draws to a close. He also has video footage of the rest of the party in stitches of laughter later in the day at my Crystal Tips impersonation. Luckily, I seem to have escaped the psoriasis gene in our family. My brother inherited the entire quotient.

["I swear on the DIS that the next time I go to the World Showcase, I will glug a glass of Rosa Regale!"

So before I swear on the Dis, tell me Karen, is this a sweet drink, like the Mimosa's from Palo, as I'm not really a champagne lover. I always have an Asti Martini in Italy, which Paul usually faints at the price of :rotfl2: :rotfl2: so will I need some oxygen for him at the price of this too ? :rotfl: :rotfl:

A great day, I'm pleased that your condition didn't stop you enjoying your day. I love Epcot too, and the food in the Tangierine Cafe is delish :thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear about the Cruise, I hope you've got lots of piccies

Thanks again for sharing Karen ::yes::

I've been known to partake of the odd Rosa Regale or three. Mind you, the same could be said of most of the alcoholic beverages on offer around World Showcase. :rolleyes1

Try as I might (and I'm trying pretty damn hard), I can't begrudge you your moment of revelry in the big reveal. I'm sure the green-eyed monster will be back in fine fettle once you actually reach the ROY O DISNEY SUITE! Man, it's painful just to type it. Seriously, this is the bit I'm looking forward to. Regular embarkation is exciting enough, but it must be so thrilling to board as a genuine VIP. I hope they made a BIG fuss.

So before I swear on the Dis, tell me Karen, is this a sweet drink, like the Mimosa's from Palo, as I'm not really a champagne lover. I always have an Asti Martini in Italy, which Paul usually faints at the price of :rotfl2: :rotfl2: so will I need some oxygen for him at the price of this too ? :rotfl: :rotfl:

OK Mandy, it's you I really want to try this as it's actually quite sweet - definitely more of an Asti than a Champers! :thumbsup2 I can't recall the price - I'm afraid the prospect of a glass plays havoc with my mental faculties... :crazy:

OK Mandy, it's you I really want to try this as it's actually quite sweet - definitely more of an Asti than a Champers! :thumbsup2 I can't recall the price - I'm afraid the prospect of a glass plays havoc with my mental faculties... :crazy:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

"I swear on the DIS that the next time I go to the World Showcase, I will glug a glass of Rosa Regale!"​

OK Karen, I'll give it a whirl, and I promise to have one when I'm in Epcot in August and I'll raise my glass to you ::yes::

I've had that experience with Splash twice now. The first was during a MNSSHP night. I was strongly opposed to making it the first ride of the evening, but I was outnumbered 7:1. Sure enough, as I'd predicted, I got drenched, but I made them all suffer. Moaned all night long.

More recently, during a trip with the Stringers and the Oklahoma contingent (precisely which trip escapes me), I'd threatened to pull a major tantrum if my painstakingly straightened hair became even slightly damp. No prizes for guessing that I got wet in places I didn't even know I had places (head to toe H2O - love that! :rotfl: ). Mr K Stringer of this parish has video footage of me in stitches of laughter as the ride draws to a close. He also has video footage of the rest of the party in stitches of laughter later in the day at my Crystal Tips impersonation...

Usually it's my eldest DS who gets 'Splashed' - I can't begin to count how many times I've laughed and pointed at his plastered pathetic figure! Ah well - that'll learn me... :headache:

...Luckily, I seem to have escaped the psoriasis gene in our family. My brother inherited the entire quotient.

Only good thing my end is I don't see any signs of it on the children - yet. I was 15 when it started so I'm crossing everything I've got that my youngest DS (he turned 15 on Sunday) has a flake-free existence...

And on that note, time to exit as I'm off to see the dermatologist at the Sloane Hospital - it's so bad at the mo I have no alternative but to go back on methotrexate... :(

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

"I swear on the DIS that the next time I go to the World Showcase, I will glug a glass of Rosa Regale!"​

OK Karen, I'll give it a whirl, and I promise to have one when I'm in Epcot in August and I'll raise my glass to you ::yes::

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Suddenly peckish, thoughts turned to food and, as we were in Morocco, the consensus was to try the Tangerine Cafe. Oh my - the food here was so yummy! I definitely want to go here again...

Now, dear reader, it's time for me to get serious. Please raise your right hand and repeat after me: "I swear on the DIS that the next time I go to the World Showcase, I will glug a glass of Rosa Regale!"

I love the food in the Tangerine Cafe and I'm looking forward to trying a glass of Rosa Regale next visit.

What a great day you had and well done for managing it all when you must have felt sore from your reaction to the water in Splash.

Can't wait to read all about your wonderful suite

Tammy

I can sympathise on the skin, Karen. I am a long time eczema sufferer and water can be particularly nasty for my skin too, especially salt water. I hope it didn't spoil the rest of your trip - I had trouble with the recycled water on the cruise (but it wouldn't put me off going again). I am so excited to find out more about the Roy O Disney suite!

Laur's princess:

Loving your trippie Karen :lovestruc I will definately partake in a glass or two in Italy. My best friend is coming out to WDW a week after us and we are having an evening in World Showcase ( it was probably your last trippie that gave me the idea)

Cant wait to hear all about the cruise ::yes::

What a great idea to do 3 parks in one day, sounds like you got tons done :)

I love the food in the Tangerine Cafe and I'm looking forward to trying a glass of Rosa Regale next visit...

I would expect nothing less, Tam! :goodvibes BTW if you're a chocolate lover, have an accompanying little Italian dark choccie - delish!!! :worship:

Hi Karen
Just catching up on your report, doesn't look like our paths have crossed so far on this trip, but there's still time.

I can sympathise on the skin, Karen. I am a long time eczema sufferer and water can be particularly nasty for my skin too, especially salt water. I hope it didn't spoil the rest of your trip - I had trouble with the recycled water on the cruise (but it wouldn't put me off going again). I am so excited to find out more about the Roy O Disney suite!

Laur's princess:

Thanks, Laur's! :hug: Sorry to hear about your eczema - it's no fun is it!? Out of interest, have you found it any worse during pregnancy?

It definitely didn't affect the rest of my trip too much - I may have the occasional down day but I never let my skin hamper my holidaying! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter