• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Give Me Your "Don't Miss" List for a WDW Family

disrev

God, Family, Mouse.
With plenty of of WDW Orlando trips under our belt and likely many more to come, but return trips to DL and DCA much less likely, I'm looking for your TOP 5 DON'T MISS attractions at DL and DCA (combined) that our WHOLE FAMILY can do. We are a family of 6 making our fist trip to Disneyland with out kids (11, 9, 6, and 2 that is 38").

The kids are equally intrigued by completely new attractions as well as the same ones that have unique differences.

Repeat, I'm looking for just your Top 5 (making it a little more of a challenge) and only if the whole crew (age 11, 9, 6, and 2 that is 38") can ride.

I will expand this to "Don't Miss Things" and not only "attractions", and include the 2 and 6 year-olds as being able to do it...so none with height restrictions
  1. World of Color
  2. Paint the Night parade (once it restarts - Memorial Day?)
  3. Frozen stage show
  4. Pirates of the Caribbean (just better at DL)
  5. Alice in Wonderland (original dark ride at DL)
:wizard:

Without the 2 year old, this list would be very different. But here’s my list:

Pirates. Different than WDW and way better.

Animation Academy for the drawing classes.

Buzz light year (I prefer it to Midway Mania but probably because I’m better at Buzz )

Jungle cruise

Alice in Wonderland

(Edit to remove Radiator Springs - I missed that your 2 year old is 38”.)

Hopefully your bigger kids (and you, too) will have the opportunity to ride some of the thrillers like space mountain, guardians etc.

I also would recommend Fantasmic but ONLY if you’re able to do a dining package. The show is magical, if you’re sitting down and close to the water.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Without the 2 year old, this list would be very different. But here’s my list:

Pirates. Different than WDW and way better.

Animation Academy for the drawing classes.

Buzz light year (I prefer it to Midway Mania but probably because I’m better at Buzz )

Jungle cruise

Radiator Springs

Hopefully your bigger kids (and you, too) will have the opportunity to ride some of the thrillers like space mountain, guardians etc.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!
Oh, we definitely plan to do some rider switching. Just wanting to prioritize family riding first!

I will expand this to "Don't Miss Things" and not only "attractions", and include the 2 and 6 year-olds as being able to do it...so none with height restrictions
  1. World of Color
  2. Paint the Night parade (once it restarts - Memorial Day?)
  3. Frozen stage show
  4. Pirates of the Caribbean (just better at DL)
  5. Alice in Wonderland (original dark ride at DL)
Adding three more attractions, as that was the OP,
  1. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
  2. Storybook Land Canal Boats
  3. Pixar Pal-Around

When we went to WDW, I printed out a list of attractions. Then I went through them and compared with DL. I crossed off the 'duplicates' (unless there was a big difference in the ride experience) and went from there, focusing on the 'not at DL' and 'a way different experience' attractions. Worked for us, but we didn't have kids with us.

As far as the whole family, do the classic dark rides that are not at WDW.
Alice
Mr Toad
Snow White
Pinocchio
Peter Pan (the DL version is different)

You are limited with a 2 year old, and they just got rid of the It's a Bug's Life land. I'm going to focus on what's different at DL or exclusive to DL.
1. Agree with most, ride the Dark Rides in Fantasyland, especially those that are not at WDW like Mr. Toads. The Alice ride is also a good one that is not at WDW.
2. Casey Jr Train Ride in Fantasyland. If your 2 year old is into trains, they will love this one. My son was a big Thomas nut at that age, and loved this ride. It was a must do at his age. They do not have this at WDW.
3. At California Adventure, there is the Monster Inc ride which is a fun one. I don't think they have this at WDW. The Little Mermaid ride in DCA is also fun, but I think they have similar ride at WDW.
4. Pirates of the Caribbean is much better over here.
5. It's a Small World. Another one that is far better at Disneyland.
6. I'm going to add a 6th that is fun. Tow-Maters in Carsland is another fun one for small kids.

Now, here are the bigger kids ones that you shouldn't miss because they are either not at Disneyland or are different:
1. Space Mountain - Very different and way more fun. The one at WDW gives me whiplash and back pain. This one is super smooth.
2. Indiana Jones
3. Radiator Springs Racers
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Incredicoaster
6. An honorable mention is the Materhorn. I don't like this ride because it is bumpy and jerks you around (WDW space mountain reminds me of this). But is iconic of Disneyland and should be ridden at least once.

I grew up with WDW for my first 30 years and was at WDW this December. I moved to CA in 1999 and have been a Disneyland passholder for the last 19 years. I like Disneyland WAY better. It took about 2 to 3 visits to Disneyland to convert me to a Disneyland diehard and even trips back to WDW can't change my opinion. One big difference that I noted from my December trip, is that at Disneyland, parkhopper passes make a difference. Its so easy to do, and you should consider parkhoppers. At WDW, not so much. Also, get the Maxpass if you can swing it. I think you will really enjoy your trip.

Looking at both parks with all ages, I would say:

1. Storybookland Canal boats - so cute for little kids
2. Pirates of the Caribbean - much better ride in DL
3. IASW - character additions make this a different ride than WDW
4. Mr. Toad or other dark rides
5. Monsters, Inc.

I have never been to WDW so I can't say what is different/similar or better/worse, but I can share with you some of my favorite DL/DCA attractions!

Not in any particular order...

1. Peter Pan! - Always a favorite and I have LOVED this ride since I was little!
2. Fantasmic! - I never miss this show! I saw it for the first time when i was about 4 or 5 and it became an instant favorite!
3. Storybook Canal Boats - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one! It is so cute and is fun to see where all the characters "live"
4. World of Color - I always thought i wouldn't like this show for some odd reason.. bso I only saw it for the first time about 3 years ago. I was so wrong.. it's amazing!
5. Carsland! - Just being in Carsland is an experience! So just take some time to explore this part of the park - rides, entertainment, photo ops.. etc.

1. Cars Land. Beautifully designed with lots of fun stuff to do for all ages. Plus the neon lighting every night is fun.
2. Alice in Wonderland. A quintessential dark ride that everyone can enjoy, and it’s been nicely refurbished.
3. Pixar Pal-Around or the Golden Zephyr. Beautiful views of DCA and the rides are relaxing.
4. Hungry Bear. My family loves to grab something to eat and sit by the Rivers of America, watching the boats go by. It’s so great.
5. Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough. This is so well done, your younger kids will get a thrill out of it and your older ones will be fascinated with how the illusions are created.

Hard for me to come up with anything really different than what’s been said already in this thread. As a result, this is mostly reiteration. Your 2 yr old definitely narrows the list, but thankfully some of the best attractions in DL aren’t thrill rides. I’m also trying to keep in mind that you’re WDW experienced and looking for the most unique experiences to DL, not nessesarily the best experiences overall.

1. PotC - hands down the best version

1.5 Haunted Mansion - (only counting this as 1.5 since most younger kids I’ve had with me on trips have been scared by this one) the hatbox ghost is an impressive addition that (I think) is unique to DL. I’m also partial to the exterior style of the DL mansion. It feels more ominous to me than the WDW version, which gives me more exciting build up before entering. Also, if you visit after September, the Nightmare before Christmas overlay is very fun and definitely a unique take on the classic Mansion. A bit less scarry I would say, but I’ve not ridden it with younger kids so not 100% sure how a 2 yr old would take it.

2. All of FantasyLand - there are more attractions here than 5 and nearly all of them I would consider not to be missed. Therefore, I am lumping in the whole land as a must do.
-Casey Jr and the storybook land canal boats are two halves of an experience around storybook land that the young and young at heart will love.
-the 5 dark rides are the classic DL experience and only one of them (PP) is replicated at MK. Alice is arguably the best of them and worth the usually longer queue.
-Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough is a beautiful take on a dark ride experience; just without the “ride” part of it.

3. Finding Nemo Subs - another very unique and fun experience, so long as no one gets claustrophobic. A personal must-do every trip.

4. DLRR Grand Circle Tour - the best way to soak in all of DL. Great views, especially of the rivers of America, plus a nice break for your feet if you need it

5. Toontown - I wonder if a lot of DL regulars overlook it because it’s more aimed at younger guests, but when you do have younger kids in your group, I find Toontown to be lots of fun, especially as their fun spreads to me. The rubbery nature of the land, along with the classic tongue in cheek gags everywhere offer something for everyone. Plus, having the meet and greets in Mickey and Minnie’s houses make it more fun than just waiting in a regular line somewhere to see them.
-RR’s Cartoon Spin has one of the best themed queues in the park. You could almost call the queue a walkthrough attraction of its own.

Yes, I did inflate the list a bit, but there is plenty to do at DL that is both age appropriate for a 2 yr old and a unique experience to DL park itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter