Glow Lights for the Model Monorail

boBQuincy

<font color=green>I am not carrying three pods<br>
One of the coolest surprises of the 50th Anniversary celebration are the monorail glow lights. One of the biggest disappointments might be that the new monorail model does not have them (or headlights). But we can add them!

Parts: LED strip HAMRVL COB LED strip, 320 LEDs per meter, 8 mm wide

I used Ice Blue. Blue, Pink, and Purple are available, don't know if any other colors are available. *(update: red, gold (warm white), green, etc are available but I have not tried them yet).

Pololu step-up converter # 799 to get the required 12 V from the monorail batteries.

28 or 30 AWG wire
Cut the LED strip to 100 mm pieces, in the middle of the solder pads. Solder wires to the pads, about 2" long wires between cars, about 4" for the end to connect to the power. I like to use small connectors between the cars so they are not permanently coupled.

For best results the LED strip should be angled toward the beam, maybe about 15 degrees. This is done with a 1/4" or 5/16" wide x 3/32" thick plastic strip sanded an an angle. Glue/double stick tape the strip to the monorail, stick the LED strip onto the plastic strip.

The # 799 voltage converter can be adjusted for brightness, the nominal 12 V is *very* bright, below about 10 V the LEDs are off, some adjustment is nice to have.

Attachments

• monoglow_1360594.jpg
    monoglow_1360594.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 6

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter