Going Deluxe - am I crazy?

Since you plan to spend time at the pool, I would highly recommend YC/BC - Stormalong Bay is amazing!!!

We also really enjoyed staying at CR because it was like having your own personal bus depot - just walk to MK (which is great too) and you can resort hop as much as you want!

I’ve done an adults only trip at Boardwalk and a family trip at WL. I liked them both - because I love MK I would pick WL (or poly or contemporary) over Boardwalk. And the grounds and pools at WL are so beautiful and relaxing; the outdoor theming appealed to me way more than Boardwalk’s. Poly outdoor theming is also super beautiful.

I’ve done an adults only trip at Boardwalk and a family trip at WL. I liked them both - because I love MK I would pick WL (or poly or contemporary) over Boardwalk. And the grounds and pools at WL are so beautiful and relaxing; the outdoor theming appealed to me way more than Boardwalk’s. Poly outdoor theming is also super beautiful.

Sometimes I feel a little crazy because everyone always says that for adults only trips the Epcot resorts are best, but I only ever do adults only trips (gf and I are in that dreaded Childless Millennial demographic!), and I prefer the MK area. I actually found myself missing it pretty badly when I stayed at BC in November. It's not like it was terrible, like I said I do enjoy the Crescent Lake area a lot but there's no comparison to me. It really does come down to personal preference imo.

Hey DISboards fam,

Looking for some POVs on staying at a Deluxe resort for a week-long trip (or maybe doing a split stay!). Since our April trip had to be cancelled, and DH and I have both been lucky enough to stay employed but extremely stressed out thereby, I'm trying to convince him to splurge whenever we do reschedule and book a Deluxe resort. I do think spending $600+ a night is insane (even though we could technically afford it but it seems like SO MUCH MONEY) but then again I feel like I've lost my mind so who cares anymore?

So, feel free to weigh in on what you think is the hands-down-best Deluxe (I'm not going to get crazy and book Club Level or a Villa, but Theme Park View is an option) and its can't-miss features. It'll just be DH and I, we don't have kids and are aggressive with our park plans so we can cover a lot in a day and still have time for pool/drinks to relax. The only time I've ever stayed in a Deluxe was like 1999 when I was a teenager and my parents got a sick deal at the Poly courtesy of a family CM (don't remember a thing about that stay), otherwise it's been CBR and All-Stars (or, once, the Howard Johnson in Kissimmee.)

Let's dream some dreams! :tink:

I don't think resorts are $600/night unless you are paying rack rate.

Depending on the time of year you go would depend on the resort, IMO. Christmas: Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge-Jiko and Sanaa are fantastic and you can do the safari they offer for an additional fee. Food & Wine or Flower & Garden (if they offer those in the future) an Epcot resort- I prefer Beach Club but any are great. Any other time, Polynesian. The GF is a beautiful resort, but not our cup of tea. You may try Grand Destino at Coronado-I have never stayed there. Have fun planning.

We made the upgrade--but a sort of compromised one. Like you, we've financially been unaffected (maybe better off--I still got my raise and bonuses, we got the stimulus, and between cooking at home almost every meal and hardly any shopping we're saving SO much money). But even when the bank account grows, some of those rates seem SO steep for a hotel.

We were supposed to leave for our trip next Saturday to Coronado. We rescheduled with the Free Dining promo they offered to affected travelers.

Initially we were booked at AKL, although we recently switched that to WL to be closer to MK. We have three adults in the room, so the free standard dining (which we were already paying for at Coronado after a room only discount) ended up being a massive bargain, more than a room discount would've cost. Both of those resorts were running just under $450 a night for standard view.

So if either of those themes appeal to you, and you aren't set on monorail access, you may be able to split the middle between splurging and not choking over the bill.

No, you are not crazy... going deluxe is quite special.

DW and I made many trips to the Boardwalk Inn. Our first visit was there and we kept going back. We loved the theming and, of course, the location. Being able to stroll over to the World Showcase in the evenings is quite special. We found that many of the standard rooms at the BWI have nice views of the garden courtyard, sometimes with Epcot sights in the background. Almost all rooms have balconies with chairs which I found quite relaxing.

That said all of the Epcot resorts are very nice. If you are looking to spend quality pool time you might enjoy either the Beach or Yacht Club and Stormalong Bay.

So if your budget can tolerate the $500-$600/night, going deluxe makes for a wonderful Disney vacation.

Sometimes I feel a little crazy because everyone always says that for adults only trips the Epcot resorts are best, but I only ever do adults only trips (gf and I are in that dreaded Childless Millennial demographic!), and I prefer the MK area. I actually found myself missing it pretty badly when I stayed at BC in November. It's not like it was terrible, like I said I do enjoy the Crescent Lake area a lot but there's no comparison to me. It really does come down to personal preference imo.

I think so too! Boardwalk was beautiful, in its own way, but I loved the outdoor theming so much at WL. I will say that there were more weirdos at WL - I bumped into a family with a preschooler who was completely nude in the hallway (think they were going between pool and room). But overall, WL for sure.

We really don't look at the title. We have stayed at several different price point resorts and have enjoyed them all for various reasons. Everything Disney costs way more than anyplace else so if you can afford it, do what you like. We've stayed at the Poly, Old Key West, Fort Wilderness, and French Quarter numerous times and loved each and never looked at their designations. I've stayed at the Treehouse Villas in 1989, and the Contemporary in 1978- which wasn't great but to be fair I was in a wing away from the action. What I'm saying is don't look at how they are designated, just what you want to experience.

Hey DISboards fam,

Looking for some POVs on staying at a Deluxe resort for a week-long trip (or maybe doing a split stay!). Since our April trip had to be cancelled, and DH and I have both been lucky enough to stay employed but extremely stressed out thereby, I'm trying to convince him to splurge whenever we do reschedule and book a Deluxe resort. I do think spending $600+ a night is insane (even though we could technically afford it but it seems like SO MUCH MONEY) but then again I feel like I've lost my mind so who cares anymore?

So, feel free to weigh in on what you think is the hands-down-best Deluxe (I'm not going to get crazy and book Club Level or a Villa, but Theme Park View is an option) and its can't-miss features. It'll just be DH and I, we don't have kids and are aggressive with our park plans so we can cover a lot in a day and still have time for pool/drinks to relax. The only time I've ever stayed in a Deluxe was like 1999 when I was a teenager and my parents got a sick deal at the Poly courtesy of a family CM (don't remember a thing about that stay), otherwise it's been CBR and All-Stars (or, once, the Howard Johnson in Kissimmee.)

It is very possible to stay deluxe and not spend $600 a night. And I wouldn't discount villas either as you can, typically, get a studio at a reasonable price and they are, IMHO, perfect for couples (queen bed and a sofa, so very spacious). The monorail resorts are going to be the most costly (except, perhaps, a garden wing room at CR which is a really nice option as well). We LOVE YC/BC and BWI and a standard or pool view room at AKL isn't typically in the $600 range. You don't say when you are traveling, but I would also be on the look-out for any room-only discounts that may become available for your dates. We were supposed to go in March and I had a water view room at YC booked, with a discount, for less than $600 (I refuse to pay that on a standard, WDW resort room!)

There’s a very real, very tangible difference between value and moderate, but I just don’t think there’s that much of a difference between moderate and deluxe. Not to justify the insane prices. They’re all nice.

I think deluxe is, frankly, just an idea that a lot of people have bought into. Or they stick to one location out of family tradition.

Two notes/exceptions:

Animal Kingdom Lodge feels like a truly different and unique experience given the animals, resort best food, and cultural opportunities.

It is a bit of a pain to take the bus around for multiple stops at the moderates.

There’s a very real, very tangible difference between value and moderate, but I just don’t think there’s that much of a difference between moderate and deluxe. Not to justify the insane prices. They’re all nice.

I think deluxe is, frankly, just an idea that a lot of people have bought into. Or they stick to one location out of family tradition.

Two notes/exceptions:

Animal Kingdom Lodge feels like a truly different and unique experience given the animals, resort best food, and cultural opportunities.

It is a bit of a pain to take the bus around for multiple stops at the moderates.

With due respect...you may not see the value in staying Deluxe over Mod, but having stayed at a Mod and a Deluxe within literal three months of each other last year (so everything was still fresh), I absolutely do. I'll never say never, but all things equal and given the choice I will pick Deluxe over a Mod every time and it has nothing to do with snobbery or an "idea" I bought into. Every resort has pros and cons, but there are tangible, practical differences between most Deluxes and Mods that mean something to me, and Mods (outside maybe GDT) just come up short for how I like to vacation at the World. Ultimately I enjoyed my 4 days at BC much more than the 6 days I had at POFQ. Park proximity and resort amenities matter to me that much, and I'm willing to pay for them (never rack rate though, only suckers pay retail). Everyone has different preferences, and different things that are dealbreakers for them in a trip, which is why it's great that we have so many resorts to choose from.

We love GF, Poly and WL in the MK area. For Epcot Yacht Club is our fav.
I like both the MK and EPcot area resorts because of all the dining options and proximity to parks.

I think so too! Boardwalk was beautiful, in its own way, but I loved the outdoor theming so much at WL. I will say that there were more weirdos at WL - I bumped into a family with a preschooler who was completely nude in the hallway (think they were going between pool and room). But overall, WL for sure.
At least the rest of the family had clothes on. Also, what is the difference between nude and completely nude?

I will pick Deluxe over a Mod every time and it has nothing to do with snobbery or an "idea" I bought into.

Didn’t mean to imply snobbery at all! Not my intention. :)

When I said Deluxe is an idea some people have “bought into,” I meant the idea that you need to stay at a Deluxe to have an authentic, complete, and/or satisfying Disney World experience. Or because that’s where you’ve “always stayed.”

You often see posts on these forums saying something like “We usually stay Deluxe but tried ___(CS, POP, POFQ, etc.)___ and were pleasantly surprised.” I think sometimes people are afraid to go outside the box.

It’s also worth nothing that Deluxe prices are insane. Staying at the Plaza with a view in NYC is cheaper than staying at the Poly many nights, and I just find that unacceptable.

I’d much rather go on two weeklong vacations to Disney than one 4/5-day vacation for the same price. But that’s just me and everyone is different.

The good thing is that there’s no wrong way to do it. Unless you’re ordering quick service pizza, in which case there is a wrong way.

Hey DISboards fam,

If you’re crazy then I am, too! I swore I would never pay deluxe rack rate, but I am booked at Boardwalk next May with a garden view. The price made my eyes pop!! Yep it’s over $600 a night. Eeeeeek.

Hoping for a discount, but will live with it if not. We had to cancel 2 trips this spring to other destinations, so we are using that money for Disney! And we already have tickets that I bought in 2016, so that helps!

We stay deluxe only because we own DVC which was bought because we were a family of 5 and needed the 2 bedroomvillas.

Frankly even after having stayed deluxe many times and enjoyed it if i was paying cash i would stay at POR if feels very like SSR anyway.

Deluxe is our favorite! BUT we spend lots of down time at the resort, so to us it is worth it. We love the food, service, accommodations, pools, and jus the relaxing pace. We have stayed at a variety, but hands down the Poly for the atmosphere of the tropics and feeling relaxed, walks at night with tiki torches, great pools, fireworks from the beach, shopping, feeling inside the magic of MK, and Hawaiian music... The Grand has our favorite rooms with the best beds. It is romantic there, slower pace with great pools too, with great food. It is perfect for two, even though my family loves it.

We are a family of five with now older kids and if had to pick those two are tops beating all deluxes. My kids have always loved down time at the resort, and that is top on my list too.

Last edited:
Deluxe is our favorite! BUT we spend lots of down time at the resort, so to us it is worth it. We love the food, service, accommodations, pools, and jus the relaxing pace. We have stayed at a variety, but hands down the Poly for the atmosphere of the tropics and feeling relaxed, walks at night with tiki torches, great pools, fireworks from the beach, shopping, feeling inside the magic of MK, and Hawaiian music... The Grand has our favorite rooms with the best beds. It is romantic there, slower pace with great pools too, with great food. It is perfect for two, even though my family loves it.

we are a family of five with older kids and if had to pick those two are tops beating all deluxes.

We spend a lot of time at the resort, too.

It’s also worth nothing that Deluxe prices are insane. Staying at the Plaza with a view in NYC is cheaper than staying at the Poly many nights, and I just find that unacceptable.

I’d much rather go on two weeklong vacations to Disney than one 4/5-day vacation for the same price. But that’s just me and everyone is different.

The good thing is that there’s no wrong way to do it. Unless you’re ordering quick service pizza, in which case there is a wrong way.

Agree about price - we’ve done a lot of different vacations including regular trips to Europe. Disney with a Deluxe hotel stay is at the top of the heap for cost.

OP, when are you planning to travel? Maybe since I'm DVC and rarely pay cash $600/night seems steep when you seem to be flexible on where you'd stay. I might be out of touch with current cash rates but I'm surprised there aren't better deals given what is currently going on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter