Going in June - Gradnights?

KCMiller

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Well, will be going to DL for the first time between June 13 - 15, and I am a little nervous - what the heck are gradnights? Will the park be overrun with school groups during the day? Are the hours severly shortened? Should we bother, or will our experience sour us from DL?

The first time we went to WDW, it was the week between Christmas and New Years, and we survived that - crowds I don't mind - unruly, undisciplined children, I mind a great deal.

KC :earsgirl:

You won't have shortened hours the first 2 nights of your trip, but DL will close early of the 15th for Gradnight. It's an all-night party for graduating seniors. They usually have various music groups/singers playing in various locations. For the kids, it's a nice, safe way to party w/o parents and such. They get bussed there and back from their high schools. There might be school groups there during the days, but I went that week last year and didn't really see any, though there were crowds.

yeah, I'd avoid grad nights if I were you if only for the shortened schedules. I loved my grad night there...sooo much fun. we weren't there during the day, we chartered a bus to take us down so we were there when the after hours stuff started. great memories.

Same here, but we didn't get to charter buses we had to ride the big yellow limos! ;)

:goodvibes
We're planning our first trip to the CA area the week of June 13. DL might be in our plans, but this Grad nite might have us rethink that.
Does anyone know if the other area parks (KBF, MM) have similar functions?

Thanks !!!

Sorry, I had dates for last year. Guess I keep forgetting it's 2005 already. ;)

Just wondering where you found those dates??

On another message board these date were listed as grad nites

Thursday, May 19th
Thursday, May 26th
Thursday, June 2nd
Thursday, June 9th
Wednesday, June 15th
Thursday, June 16th
Wednesday, June 22nd
Thursday, June 23rd.

poster said they were from the spanish web site for grad nites.

I have tried looking for information on the English site but it doesn't show any. I have checked the spanish and this is what I got too.

Sorry, you are exactly right! That's what I get for trying to answer my own questions. ;)

What website are you referring to, that lists Grad nights? That would be a very handy reference tool.

We ran into grad nights in 2003. The only impact it had was that there was no parking next to downtown disney and it was impossible to get into anywhere remotely nice offsight to eat. The plan had been to go to Red Lobster since we had never been, in the end we waited an hour for the Outback Steakhouse. It was a little inconvienient and confusing; but not the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination.

We have our trip planned for 6/12 - 6/18 and now I'm wondering about grad nites and teens everywhere. We're staying onsite and I'm assuming they don't, so we should be able to hide at our hotel if we need to. They probably can't go to HOB most nites due to age. I'm just thinking of stuff we can do if they get to be overwhelming. Do they go to DTD much, we like to catch a few movies while we're there. We won't be on much of a schedule, it's my college kid getting over finals and me needing some time away from work.

Grad nights don't start until midnight and I think most grads will be in the parks. I know when we did grad night, some drove themselves instead of taking the bus so they could get there early or stay late, but a majority should be leaving early in the morning so you should sleep through most of the inconvenience (if there is any).

From what I know having known people who did Grad nights at DL a few years back, they usually have it when the park closes like midnight to 5 or 6am. It is just like when a school sponsors a shut-in for seniors at their gym and provide entertainment and food and music for them. The rule is that once they are in they can't leave until a certain time. There is supervision for them. I am actually more concerned about spring breakers because they are there during the day time when we all are there too. Gradnight never seems to be a problem unless there are some local teens who drive seperately to get into the park before midnight.

I clicked on the link, and learned more about grad nights, and frankly, I think it looks like a GREAT day to go to the parks - especially early in the day.

Yay, we're going to Disneyland!!!

KC :earsgirl:

I finally got the site to load and was surprised to see how things have changed. The picture on the front page showed grads in t-shirts and jeans. When I attended grad night, dress was more formal with the thinking that students would get into less trouble if they were dressed nice. I remember thinking it was silly as who wants to ride Splash Mountain in a dress, but those were the rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter