• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going on a trip without your kids?

JRennie

French Quarter Fan
Hi all! I might get jumped on for this.... But....

I would really like to go on an anniversary trip next year with just my husband. We haven't been since before we had kids. Kids would be 3 and 4.5 next year when I want to go. To be completely honest, taking kids that young to Disney world sounds like the trip from hell and we for sure want to take them in a few years when they are a bit older. Has anyone gone to Disney world without their very young (whiny 😂) kids? Great trip? Regrets? Please share 🙂

Yup we go on a Mom and Dad trip every few years. 100% love it and lets us be a couple again. Thankfully my mother is able to watch him for the week. I would plan for when they are like 6-7 its the perfect age to go :D

Yup we go on a Mom and Dad trip every few years. 100% love it and lets us be a couple again. Thankfully my mother is able to watch him for the week. I would plan for when they are like 6-7 its the perfect age to go :D
That's kind of the age I was thinking. Taking them somewhere this young would just be a legit nightmare.

Our kids are a bit older but my husband and I are thinking of a trip just for us for our 15th wedding anniversary. Our kids are jealous, haha. I just remind them that they're going on two trips with us before then. Take the trip and have a great time!

Adult trips are awesome! However I’ll also add that 3-5 years is probably my favorite age to take kids. They are old enough to be fully aware of and engaged in the magic. They can go on almost all of the rides and are usually really into meeting characters at that age.

I went on a girl's trip without the kids a few years ago. I enjoyed the trip but kept thinking about how much fun my kids would be having so that took away from the fun for me. I would not go again without them. To me there are alot better adults only trip options.

Honestly we’ve taken adult only trips to other destinations, not disney. My dh doesn’t like disney as much as me and the kids do. So we’d go somewhere else.
Disney with kids those ages are great. Get a double stroller, and go. It wouldn’t be the same, but still fun. Just pick an off season time.

Speaking as someone who has 3 grown adult children. Time goes by too fast to go to Disney without them. You really have less than 18 years to enjoy going with them. You have the rest of your lives to enjoy it without them. It's not really a nightmare, you are making memories. You will sit together and smile when looking back at the times you went with them. You'll laugh at the ice cream all over the stroller. You'll laugh at the melt downs when trying to get a good picture, but you'll still have that picture. It's time with your little ones you will never get back. I went so often with my kids, that my husband got tired of the parks. My kids literally grew up going. We lived, and still all do, just under 3 hours. I can't tell you what to do, I can just give you a different perspective. Time goes by too fast to enjoy Disney without your kids.

Speaking as someone who has 3 grown adult children. Time goes by too fast to go to Disney without them. You really have less than 18 years to enjoy going with them. You have the rest of your lives to enjoy it without them. It's not really a nightmare, you are making memories. You will sit together and smile when looking back at the times you went with them. You'll laugh at the ice cream all over the stroller. You'll laugh at the melt downs when trying to get a good picture, but you'll still have that picture. It's time with your little ones you will never get back. I went so often with my kids, that my husband got tired of the parks. My kids literally grew up going. We lived, and still all do, just under 3 hours. I can't tell you what to do, I can just give you a different perspective. Time goes by too fast to enjoy Disney without your kids.
You make a good point but if they love disney and need a parent break I don't think it's a horrible thing to do. Traveling with small children is a different type of trip and imo not relaxing at all. If your going for memorys than yes bring the kids but if you just wanna be a happy adult and disney is your happy place I don't see any issue. Happy family also means mom and dad are still in love and able to be adults together sometimes.

You make a good point but if they love disney and need a parent break I don't think it's a horrible thing to do. Traveling with small children is a different type of trip and imo not relaxing at all. If your going for memorys than yes bring the kids but if you just wanna be a happy adult and disney is your happy place I don't see any issue. Happy family also means mom and dad are still in love and able to be adults together sometimes.
You can always get mommy and daddy time by putting the kids in the Disney child care for the evening. I don't think they are doing it now because of Covid19 but I know they were pre Covid19. Kids love it too. They get dinner, movies, arts & crafts, games. I believe it's ages 3 through 12. I remember when my middle one turned 12, she was upset that she couldn't go. The one at the Poly made an exception for us. She had just turned 12 that week. She wanted to go there with my younger one instead of going out to eat with my husband, son and me hahahahaha.
I also believe Disney has a babysitting service where they come to the room, at one time they did. I never used that. My kids were older when that started.
Yes, it's nice to have a peaceful dinner I agree, but time is too precious to do the entire trip without them at Disney. Maybe an exotic island, sure...but not Disney

We would love a child-free trip but taking kids at that age is so much fun! During our last trip, our boys were 2 and 4 and it was great. Seeing them experience things at Disney can't really be beat, especially at that age.

Why do you think it would be such a nightmare? There's definitely nothing wrong with an adult-only Disney anniversary trip, but I am not sure why bringing kids would be a disaster. It's the most kid-friendly vacation you could take.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter