Going on rides with small children question

Pooh667

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I have an odd question and it may be better asked on the theme parks board but I thought you guys may be able to answer it anyway. We are going with to Disney with our 4 year old twins. Last year they were not big enough for Big Thunder Mountain but they are now. My question is that will they be secure enough on the ride when they sit with either me or my husband, neither one of us are small people and I worry that if it is only a lap bar that it will rest on our knees but not even close to theirs. I hope this question makes sense. Yes, I have been on this ride many times but never with kids and it is funny how you worry about safety after you become a parent. They really want to go on a lot of the bigger rides now and I am nervous. Thanks for not laughing at me.

Susan:)

Iusually keep one arm around my 4 yr old when riding thunder mountain... She tends to slide in the seat....

as long as they meet the minimum height requirement I am sure they will be able to ride.

I understand what you are saying. My oldest DD is tall but a slender little thing. The lap bar seemed to be close enough to her, but I always ride with my arm around her, like Zurgswife mentioned...

Little ones do seem to slide around! Always good to take precautions!

:cool:

If you are worried about this you could always have them ride in a car (the one in front of you) together and you and DH can ride together, that way the lap bar will be "snugger" on them.

But I would not worry about it. I have never had a problem, other then the "sliding." Just keep your arm around her and have fun.

We took our twins on BTMR in October when they were 3 almost 4. They did fine. They didn't want to go on it again, but they liked it once. They asked to ride the slow train next! I would sit with them.

Have fun!

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies and for not laughing. We do plan on riding with one arm around them. Your replies have made me feel better.

Thanks,
Susan

I too have often wondered about this. As a plus size mom to 2 slender girls, the lap bars don't come down to far on them.

This last trip our son was just at 40 inches so he went on Splash Mountain and Test Track. He loved test track but what we did was my hubby and I sat on both sides of him with him in the middle. Then we each took one side and used our arms as sorta harness restraints for his shoulder since the belts were only lap belts. This helped keep him in place and worked really well. On Splash Mountain he sat beside me and I put my arm in front of him so that it kinda crossed over his shoulder down to his waist area. This helped keep him in place and not rock around so much. He loved it too. If it were me I would definitely hang onto them. Just for teh peace of mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter