Yorkshire Wishes

Earning My Ears
Hey new friends,
Heading to Orlando for the first time in 5 Years, grabbed a very cheap deal for December.
Was a yearly visitor, until my me and my fiancé split up.

Now I'm in a position where I'm on a decent wedge, and really want to go back, even if it is on my tod. Got a good group of mates but they are not holiday people.

Went to the Canary Islands a few months ago solo as a tester, and for the most part enjoyed it.

Staying at the Rosen closest to Universal, going to buy a Universal pass (shame the the Uk one is 14 days) and buy 2 disney park passes. Only really bothered about Animal Kingdom and the new stuff.

Disney plans.

Disney day 1 - HWS morning, do the new star wars stuff i’ve never seen before. Evening go to the Poly beach, have a few cocktails and “watch” the fireworks.

Disney day 2 - Animal Kingdom, all day, JAMBO.

Sounds like i know what i’m doing eh? Doubtful. Anyone done it before? a cheeky solo break? Would love to hear some advice and stories.

Last edited:
I have been going solo for at least a decade. Just don't have family or friends that are interested. The best things about solo is that all the plans are yours. Don't want to wait for that ride, then just move on. Also, there are some single rider lines out there.

I have been going solo for at least a decade. Just don't have family or friends that are interested. The best things about solo is that all the plans are yours. Don't want to wait for that ride, then just move on. Also, there are some single rider lines out there.
Cheers Lad.

Think i know Disney enough, i planned all my last adventures on Excel.
Going to do it a bit different this time, staying outside the bubble. Go to some bars, see a bit more of Florida.
Any tips you've picked up on going alone?

Sounds like i know what i’m doing eh? Doubtful. Anyone done it before? a cheeky solo break? Would love to hear some advice and stories.
Sounds great to me.

I'm a long time solo traveler to WDW and beyond. My first visit was solo because I couldn't sync schedules with anyone else. Loved everything about it.

No advice but one story: Last year (Sept 2022) I spent 5 days at Universal and 10 at WDW. Some friends from Ohio where at Universal and some friends from California were at Disney so I met up on several occasions. I enjoyed having a few dinners and getting together for drinks but I enjoyed my solo time even more. There were occasions when I almost dreaded meeting up. Sitting at a bar solo allows me time to meet new people - I've enjoyed cocktails at Poly watching the fireworks and chatting with people. One tends not to do that when one is with friends.

I enjoy a cigar and have found that sitting in the smoking area of the resorts is a great place to chat up people from all over the world.

December is a great time in Orlando and the parks. Sounds to me like you know what you're doing.

Sounds great to me.

I'm a long time solo traveler to WDW and beyond. My first visit was solo because I couldn't sync schedules with anyone else. Loved everything about it.

No advice but one story: Last year (Sept 2022) I spent 5 days at Universal and 10 at WDW. Some friends from Ohio where at Universal and some friends from California were at Disney so I met up on several occasions. I enjoyed having a few dinners and getting together for drinks but I enjoyed my solo time even more. There were occasions when I almost dreaded meeting up. Sitting at a bar solo allows me time to meet new people - I've enjoyed cocktails at Poly watching the fireworks and chatting with people. One tends not to do that when one is with friends.

I enjoy a cigar and have found that sitting in the smoking area of the resorts is a great place to chat up people from all over the world.

December is a great time in Orlando and the parks. Sounds to me like you know what you're doing.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hey new friends,
Heading to Orlando for the first time in 5 Years, grabbed a very cheap deal for December.
Was a yearly visitor, until my fiancé of 10 years decided to be a slag.

Now I'm in a position where I'm on a decent wedge, and really want to go back, even if it is on my tod. Got a good group of mates but they are not holiday people.

Went to the Canary Islands a few months ago solo as a tester, and for the most part enjoyed it.

Staying at the Rosen closest to Universal, going to buy a Universal pass (shame the the Uk one is 14 days) and buy 2 disney park passes. Only really bothered about Animal Kingdom and the new stuff.

Disney plans.

Disney day 1 - HWS morning, do the new star wars stuff i’ve never seen before. Evening go to the Poly beach, have a few cocktails and “watch” the fireworks.

I am in Orlando now, solo trip as well. I do those often, because my friends don't want to go as.often as me 😁

Regarding DHS, since you're offsite, you'll find most attractions already with long lines, because of early entry. You might be able to do Mickey and Tower of Terror (maybe Rock and Roller Coaster too, but I wouldn't count on it) before everything will have a very long line.
Especially Rise of the Resistance and Slincky will have the worst lines. You might want to budget for the ILL for RotR and Genie+ and priorities Slincky with it.
The Studios are the most difficult park to tour, especially for someone staying offsite, without early entry.

Hey new friends,
Was a yearly visitor, until my fiancé of 10 years decided to be a slag.

Disney plans.

You will definitely meet people. Lots of solo travelers out there. I’m jealous. Honestly I’m getting tired of dragging the family around lol. Have a great time.

I would study up on Genie+. Doesn’t sound like you’ll be there that long but as a regular solo visitor I have found it to be of great assistance in avoiding lines. Especially true if you use it to stack rides for an afternoon/evening visit

I would study up on Genie+. Doesn’t sound like you’ll be there that long but as a regular solo visitor I have found it to be of great assistance in avoiding lines. Especially true if you use it to stack rides for an afternoon/evening visit
Yeah, been doing my research this week on the changes.
The whole end of fast pass sounded awful to me as someone who used to stay on site and planned everything months in advance.
The new system suites this trip down to the ground. To be able to spend $13 - $20 to get an instant fast pass really works for me in my current situation and the short condensed trip.
Appreciate its a poor change for regulars though.
Had a little change of plans on the 2 disney days (may push to 3 for HWS)

Disney Day 1
Buy Genie+
Animal Kingdom at rope drop
Do everything i can till 2-3pm (depends on park hours)
Get a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge
Go to Sanaa lounge and do the bread service.
Go back to Animal Kingdom till close.
Disney Springs/Boardwalk for the rest of the evening.

Disney Day 2
Buy Genie+
Animal Kingdom at rope drop (i love this park, sorry!)
Do the key rides
Head over to Epcot, do the Guardians ride, Sorin, Living with the land x3
Do a slice of drinking around the world + food ( Think the Christmas food festival will be on now)
Get bus to Magic Kingdom
Get boat to the poly (free boat ride *shrug*)
Enjoy a couple of backstratchers on the beach while happily ever after plays.

Still needs a bit of refining, but both of those sound like pretty awesome days.

Thanks everyone for the comments btw, any input or criticisms are really valuable.

Sounds like fun. Based on your plan I don’t think you’ll need Genie+ on the first day if AK is all you will visit. Unless you want to be certain to do FOP and Navi in the waning hours

That sounds lovely - I hope you have a great time!

Quick question about what you sol travellers do about flights - which airlines and routes do you find cheap flights for? Thanks!

Yeah, been doing my research this week on the changes.
The whole end of fast pass sounded awful to me as someone who used to stay on site and planned everything months in advance.
The new system suites this trip down to the ground. To be able to spend $13 - $20 to get an instant fast pass really works for me in my current situation and the short condensed trip.
Appreciate its a poor change for regulars though.
Had a little change of plans on the 2 disney days (may push to 3 for HWS)

Disney Day 1
Buy Genie+
Animal Kingdom at rope drop
Do everything i can till 2-3pm (depends on park hours)
Get a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge
Go to Sanaa lounge and do the bread service.
Go back to Animal Kingdom till close.
Disney Springs/Boardwalk for the rest of the evening.

Disney Day 2
Buy Genie+
Animal Kingdom at rope drop (i love this park, sorry!)
Do the key rides
Head over to Epcot, do the Guardians ride, Sorin, Living with the land x3
Do a slice of drinking around the world + food ( Think the Christmas food festival will be on now)
Get bus to Magic Kingdom
Get boat to the poly (free boat ride *shrug*)
Enjoy a couple of backstratchers on the beach while happily ever after plays.

Still needs a bit of refining, but both of those sound like pretty awesome days.

Thanks everyone for the comments btw, any input or criticisms are really valuable.
If you rope drop AK you won't need G+, really. Maybe you could buy the ILL for Flight of Passage. You'll be able to do every ride by 11 easily without G+.
Or you can buy it but start stacking rides for the evening after you park hop to another park.

Park hop is only after 2pm, so I'm not sure Day 2 can work. You cannot enter Epcot until 2pm so it's tight to be able to do the main rides there before the evening.

Currently for Guardians you need a Virtual Queue or an ILL. You can get the VQ only if:
- you start the day in the park, you can enter the queue at 7am
- you have entered the park, then you can join the queue in a second opportunity at 1pm. A reservation or a park hopper ticket is not enough, you must have tapped in the park in order to join this.
So you cannot join the VQ unless it's still available at 2pm when you enter the park. It's possible during slow days, but the return will be later in the evening. It won't work with your current plan. You'll need an ILL.
It might switch to standby soon, though, it's been rumored forever.

That sounds lovely - I hope you have a great time!

Quick question about what you sol travellers do about flights - which airlines and routes do you find cheap flights for? Thanks!
Thank you!
I booked through tui, and flying with virgin.
Could have probably saved a few quid booking it all separate, but not worth the hassle for me. Paid just short of 900 for flights and hotel.
Try skyscanner and Google flights, hotukdeals also sometimes have good deals.

If you rope drop AK you won't need G+, really. Maybe you could buy the ILL for Flight of Passage. You'll be able to do every ride by 11 easily without G+.
Or you can buy it but start stacking rides for the evening after you park hop to another park.

Park hop is only after 2pm, so I'm not sure Day 2 can work. You cannot enter Epcot until 2pm so it's tight to be able to do the main rides there before the evening.

Currently for Guardians you need a Virtual Queue or an ILL. You can get the VQ only if:
- you start the day in the park, you can enter the queue at 7am
- you have entered the park, then you can join the queue in a second opportunity at 1pm. A reservation or a park hopper ticket is not enough, you must have tapped in the park in order to join this.
So you cannot join the VQ unless it's still available at 2pm when you enter the park. It's possible during slow days, but the return will be later in the evening. It won't work with your current plan. You'll need an ILL.
It might switch to standby soon, though, it's been rumored forever.
Yeah you are absolutely right.
Realised I was never going to fit it all in and enjoy myself.
Plans have changed a bit, got a full 7 (14) day disney ticket haha.
Now looking like 4 disney days and 2 universal! 

If you’re asking in the general sense of you, what motivates me is that my DW isn’t into Disney and isn’t particularly fond of travelling. So rather than waiting for a once every five years or more trip I go solo annually. Works for both of us. I used to have some of my kids join me on occasion but they all now have families of their own

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter