Going to San Francisco in May for a convention

tink29

DCO Fan
I have done a small search on my own, and find nothing my 15yr. old DD will like, or my 13yr. old DS. We will be there the weekend holiday for Memorial Day. Will the weather be nice enough to visit a beach?? I only found 1 beach that said it was for the "public". Am I just not doing the right kind of search? Or is San Francisco more for adults???

There's really not much "beach" around San Francisco, and that water is COLD.

There are plenty of things to do for all ages in San Francisco. I'll be there in a few weeks, and will post a detailed trip report when I return.

I'd plan on spending some time at Fishermans Wharf, walk downLombard Street, visit Golden Gate Park, Chinatown. I found a neat tour that is led by students who grew up in Chinatown that gives a less "tourist" perspective on it, Google "Back Alley Tours." Take a trip up to Muir Woods and Sausalito. There's a wealth of information on the INternet about things to do in San Francisco, Google is your friend. :goodvibes

THe weather there in May is usually gorgeous. :thumbsup2

We were just there in October, and it was one of the best vacations we have had. Fishermans Wharf is great, Alcatraz was really interesting, Lombard Street, Golden Gate Bridge. If you have a car, and you kids like to shop we loved Gilroy Outlet we found some amazing deals there. Also if you have a car, we really enjoyed the coastal drive, and visited many smaller cities around the Bay area (Pacifica, Santa Cruz).

Have fun!!

The museums at Golden Gate Park....The Exploratorium....the IMAX at the Metreon just to name a few. Check into getting at least a 3 day Muni pass for transportation...it includes cable cars, trolleys and all Muni buses. 3 day pass is $18/person and well worth it. Have fun.

Check out http://www.blazingsaddles.com/index.html. We'll be there Memorial Day and the next day . . . this one is on my list, of couurse I don't have to deal with teenagers.
I'm interested in knowing whether reservations are available or needed for Alcatraz? How about the night tour?

Reservations are higly suggested for Alcatraz, especially the very popular night tour. We're taking that tour in a few weeks, can't wait! I know when I was there on business in the late 80's and early 90's I was never able to take that tour because they were sold out days or even weeks in advance.

Thanks for all the great information everyone!! Especially the Muni pass idea. We will not have a car ( car rentals are not part of the convention package anymore :guilty: ).

There is also the train. You can take it all the way to San Jose. There are some very interesting things there too. There is an Egyptian Museum, the Tech(awesome for all ages). One thing not mentioned by anyone is the shopping. Union Square is great. Also head down toward the Presidio. there are lots of trails for riding bikes/walking near the beach and large lawn areas for lounging, etc. Have your kids look at websites, there is sooo much to do. The aquarium at fisherman's is small, but our 6th grade (I am a teacher in south bay) class loves to go every year. The shark tube is a favorite. There are also a few missions in SF and 2 in SJ area (santa clara university is literally across the street from the santa clara train station) and Stanford is really close to a train stop in Palo Alto. Also don't forget SF Giants and Oakland A's may be playing and both of those activities may be fun also.

Haight Ashbury area will appeal to most teenagers along with all the other places mentioned. The big Nordstrom Mall in Union Sq. is another must see if for no other reason than the curved escalators.

On the Western side of the city by the zoo there are several miles of beaches, great kite flying there also. The zoo is also a nice way to spend the afternoon.

The pacific ocean is very cold and rough and frankly scares the begeezes out of me, but my kids love it.

Take a walk across the GG bridge
Take a bay cruise
Spend an afternoon watching the different street performers at the Wharf and visit all the street vendors in Ghiradelli Sq.

Pick up a copy of Fromer's Guide Book. It is full of self guided tours and good information on what to see.

I live in Daly City which is right next door to San Francisco. I have two younger children so I am not sure what fun would be to a teenager. When I was a teenager living here, we would go across the golden gate bridge. We always go to pier 39 and Fishermans Wharf. Pier 39 has a fun arcade, access to alcatraz, fun shops and closer to fishermans wharf is the rainforest cafe which is fun place to eat. At the end of fishermans wharf is a sandy area with the water. The weather here year round is mostly foggy and cold....maybe 50's. I am use to the weather so I sometimes wear shorts but not often.

You can use our subway system called BART. It can take you to Millbrae which has a Cal Train system that can take you all the way to San Jose. If your teenagers like thrill rides then you can get to Santa Clara on public transportation and they would have a great time at Great America theme park.

Go on bart and take off of San Bruno and right when you exit is a quiet mall called Tanforan if you would like to shop out of the crazy parts of San Francisco.

The best beaches in the area are in a city called Pacifica. The only thing is that there isn't a easy way to get there without a car.

I can try my best to get you information on the area if you need any. Let me know.

My in-laws live in the east bay. They always can tell who the tourists are, because they are the ones freezing in their shorts and t-shirts. My mother in law told me that October is their warmest month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter