• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going to Universal late August; taking a 'risk' with not getting Express Pass

NOSaintsFan09

Earning My Ears
Me and my girl are doing a week in Orlando August 20-26. 2 days at Universal (Universal and Volcano Bay) and 4 days at the Disney parks.

Aiming to do Volcano Bay on Sunday, Aug 20 (I imagine they will release single day tickets eventually) and Universal Florida on Monday, August 21.

Debated about getting Express Pass for UF but I just really believe they won't be necessary. Late August is usually the "slow" time so I don't expect a big crowd Aug 21 and also, we plan on being their when gates open so the line times will be short the first few hours anyways. I'm sure the crowd will pick up as the day goes along, but I imagine we'll have knocked out most of the rides we wanna do by noon and if we want to get on more later in the day, we'll just do the single ride line and not worry about being separated.

Guess I'm just looking for assurance that my plan isn't too out the ordinary. I know there's always a shot we may get unlucky and Aug 21 will be a very busy day and we'll have to pay more for the EP at the window than we would if we just bought it now but I figure my plan isn't too risky or anything.

It is still busy in August. Might be even busier this year with VB. However, tons of people do the parks without express pass. It doesn't mean you won't have a great time!

Is there any way you could stay on-site at Universal? If you stayed at the Hard Rock, the Portofino Bay, or the Royal Pacific, you would get unlimited Express Passes for both the day you check in and the day you check out. Normally, I think those are ~$85 to buy at the parks, so you would be getting a perk--which I maintain will save you a lot of time AND mean you don't feel like you have to rush--that would cost you ~$340 if you bought it yourself. At that rate, one night at the hotel for you two might pay for itself.

Is there any way you could stay on-site at Universal? If you stayed at the Hard Rock, the Portofino Bay, or the Royal Pacific, you would get unlimited Express Passes for both the day you check in and the day you check out. Normally, I think those are ~$85 to buy at the parks, so you would be getting a perk--which I maintain will save you a lot of time AND mean you don't feel like you have to rush--that would cost you ~$340 if you bought it yourself. At that rate, one night at the hotel for you two might pay for itself.
Well, this is a Disney trip too. And we have a friend who works at Disney who was able to get us 40% off at the Movie Resort. I know Movie Resort isn't the greatest hotel but it was simply too good an offer to pass up. So we just plan on Ubering to the Universal parks for the two days we plan to visit.

I definitely get the logic you're getting at though. But since we have a Disney hotel for 40% off we can not not stay at Disney. Haha.

What is daily price of EP in late August? Prices not listed yet on universal site.

What is daily price of EP in late August? Prices not listed yet on universal site.

I just gave you a link to this in another post.

I didnt check to see if prices were up yet. Keep checking, or someone may remember what they paid last year.

You could do a search.

We went last week of August last year and didn't have EP. The only times I regretted it was for Kong, as it was the start of a torrential downpour and a 30 minute wait turned into 90 and then later for Transformers when the rain came back. Both days we were there wait times were minimal (no more than 30 minutes). We only did two days but felt like we did it all.
That said, we are planning first weekend January 2018 and this time I want EP as I have read it may be a busier time.

We went last week of August last year and didn't have EP. The only times I regretted it was for Kong, as it was the start of a torrential downpour and a 30 minute wait turned into 90 and then later for Transformers when the rain came back. Both days we were there wait times were minimal (no more than 30 minutes). We only did two days but felt like we did it all.
That said, we are planning first weekend January 2018 and this time I want EP as I have read it may be a busier time.
Yeah I think late August I am going to be fine just taking the 'risk' and going without EP. We plan to be there early so we'll prob knock out most rides by the afternoon with very little wait time. Hopefully!

Many southeast schools are back in session then. The SC, GA, and FL counties that I know of are all back. (SC actually goes back August 21st - that will be for most of the state, not just one county. The GA counties went back before then that I know of. FL is mixed from during the week before and that Monday). So, I'd take that gamble myself too for the 21st. Locals may be there on the 20th though. However, just two days for Universal and VB is cutting it a bit low. If at all possible, I'd add a day for Universal - there are buy two get the third day free tickets all the time at Undercover Tourist.

Many southeast schools are back in session then. The SC, GA, and FL counties that I know of are all back. (SC actually goes back August 21st - that will be for most of the state, not just one county. The GA counties went back before then that I know of. FL is mixed from during the week before and that Monday). So, I'd take that gamble myself too for the 21st. Locals may be there on the 20th though. However, just two days for Universal and VB is cutting it a bit low. If at all possible, I'd add a day for Universal - there are buy two get the third day free tickets all the time at Undercover Tourist.
I would love to but Universal is kind of like a 'bonus' on our trip. We have a 7 day trip, with arrival on Saturday afternoon, August 19, Volcano Bay Sunday the 20th, Universal the 21st, then the Disney parks from the 22-25 with our flight home on the 26th. It was actually suppose to be a six day trip but we added seven so we could do Volcano Bay.

However, if UT offers a buy 2 get 1 free which includes Volcano Bay, I'd be very tempted to try and squeeze a few hours of IOA in on the Saturday we arrive.

We have done the third/fourth week of August for the past five years at both WDW and Uni. There are other visitors, yes. We accept that and don't let it bother us. We might even say "at least it's not June/July".

On a lighter message, that time frame definitely has less crowds than the two weeks before. We have also done it without EP's. Just get there for rope drop. Use the app to check line times. Take in the shows with high capacity and relax for a nice lunch in the middle of the day. Stay until closing to experience (especially) the Harry Potter areas all lit up and with short lines. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter