Got back yesterday

TracyK

DIS Veteran
This was our fourth trip and definitely our least enjoyable due to the horrendous crowds. We have been twice at Easter so we've coped with the crowds before but nothing like this time. They had to close MGM, Epcot and MK due to capacity crowds and have also recorded the busiest days ever at Animal Kingdom, USF and IOA . It is thought this was due to people rebooking after September 11 and the fact that the early Easter coincided with Spring Break for many states.
The most enjoyable part of our trip was getting to ride one of the floats at the Mardi Gras at US. It was great fun throwing the beads to the crowd. We also really enjoyed escaping from the crowds at the Annual Passholder's lounge at Epcot and taking it easy around the World Showcase. Another highlight was the behind the scenes rescue tour at Sea World.
Tracy

Welcome Home.

Wow it sounds as though it was really busy......Cant wait to hear all about it

Welcome Home Tracy - sorry to hear about the crowds :(

How did you get to be on the Mardi Gras Float - sounds interesting and fun.

Look forward to hearing more soon :D

Janice - on our first day at US I noticed that there were families riding on the float and I wondered how they had been selected. The next day I went and enquired at Guest Relations. The man asked me how many were in my party. I told him just the two of us and he measured Stevie and told me that we could ride a float if we wished. He gave us each a wristband and details of who we had to report to. We went to the place and were taken behind the scenes and told which float we were riding. We were riding the Spirit of 76 American float. Our float had lady Liberty on and the Stars and Stripes and we had to throw red, white and blue beads to the crowds. We also got to wear 70's style robes. We had to be harnessed to the float for safety. It was great fun. A real party atmosphere. I'm really glad I asked.
Sorry there won't be any trip reports but I'm having a really busy time at the moment.
Tracy

Welcome home Tracy,

Sounds like you managed to have a good trip, shame about the crowds though, I'd heard that it was heaving over the Easter Weekend!

Penny :)

Welcome back, Tracey :wave:

The Mardis Gras float experience sounds really exciting - a definite 'one off'. The crowds didn't sound so good!

Welcome home Tracy.

Shame yer too tied up for a trip report but can relate to that as they take so long. I loved readin about yer Mardi Gras adventure as it was 'out of the norm'. Maybe you'll get time to jot down yer highlights or special memories? Huh? Eh? Pretty please?

Welcome home, Tracy. Sorry I'm late - I must have missed this somehow. Really sorry to hear that the crowds spoilt your trip. I hate it when it's busy and we've never been at the busiest times, so I can't imagine what it must have been like.

Thank you for telling us how to get on the floats. We'll be there for Halloween Horror Nights and I'm sure my dd's (17 and 14) and our friends' dd (17) would love to do this. I love these boards - all these little hints and tips that you'd never find anywhere else.

Thanks for the info Tracy - sounds like great fun :)

We saw the Mardi Gras parade on Millennium Eve and there were families on board then - we wondered if perhaps they were Staff and their families :D :D

Welcome home Tracy :)

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yourselves so much this time.

I wondered how they chose the people who threw the beads from the floats too! I have a lot of those necklaces....... perhaps we should get our own float together :D ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter