• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grad Gift Question…..

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
So.:….some friends that live far away have a DD that is graduating this year. We have never met this young lady in person, but I do see her all the time on Facebook (I haven’t seen the friends in person in over 10 years).

Yesterday, we get a graduation announcement and senior pictures, which is nice, but at the same time I’m now feeling like I should send a gift. If I didn’t have my own kid graduating this year, along with a ton of kids I know very well, I’d consider sending a gift, but holy cow, I have to draw the line somewhere right?!

Thoughts…..
Would you send a gift?
Am I being wrong with my thinking?

I would not worry about sending a gift. I would only give a gift if you are attending the graduation party.
I was thinking the same thing and since they live in Arizona that won’t be happening.

Maybe they want to reconnect as you both have daughter's graduating this year? I'd send a small gift. Love the amazon idea for dorm items. New college students can always use that. Send her your daughter's grad announcement as well! Why not? Maybe you all will be empty nesters together and meet up again at some point.

BTW, I don't think there is any right or wrong here. My observation is that you handle everything with grace, @slo.

I wouldn’t send anything.
Only ones I ever gave grad gifts to were our nieces and nephews.
Seems like grad gifts are much bigger thing in the USA.
My son graduated last year and only gifts he got were from grandparents and some (not all) aunts/uncles.

Last edited:
Reactions: slo
So.:….some friends that live far away have a DD that is graduating this year. We have never met this young lady in person, but I do see her all the time on Facebook (I haven’t seen the friends in person in over 10 years).

Yesterday, we get a graduation announcement and senior pictures, which is nice, but at the same time I’m now feeling like I should send a gift. If I didn’t have my own kid graduating this year, along with a ton of kids I know very well, I’d consider sending a gift, but holy cow, I have to draw the line somewhere right?!

Thoughts…..
Would you send a gift?
Am I being wrong with my thinking?
If you care a lot for these friends, I'd recommend sending a grad card with a cheque for $20.22. It's not cost-prohibitive and makes the appropriate gesture. OTOH, if you don't see the people and don't plan to, simply congratulate the mom on FB with a heart smilie and be done with it. :)

Last edited:
I would send a gift. It doesn’t have to be extravagant.

I would go with your gut. My first thought was this: a 17 or 18-year-old should not be expecting gifts from old friends of her parents that she has never even met. I’d send a card, wish her well, and hope they do the same for your daughter.

Mailing out printed graduation announcements seems to be a regional thing. Most people around here don’t do it (although it’s common to post photos on social media). Invitations to a graduation party are different, and those are typically limited to family and close friends.

I would send a smallish gift but then I'm a pretty soft touch. I remember my kids appreciating the gifts they got. I like the idea of a check for $20.22 or, if I know what college they are going to, a $25 gift card to the bookstore, or a store for dorm stuff.

Maybe they want to reconnect as you both have daughter's graduating this year? I'd send a small gift. Love the amazon idea for dorm items. New college students can always use that. Send her your daughter's grad announcement as well! Why not? Maybe you all will be empty nesters together and meet up again at some point.

BTW, I don't think there is any right or wrong here. My observation is that you handle everything with grace, @slo.

Thank you….that is very kind of you to say.
I try, but sometimes I have doubt with certain things. It’s nice to have you all to bounce ideas and questions off of.

I agree with @AppleDumpling, go with your gut.

Personally, I would send a card and a small gift card $20-25 (Amazon is always my go to), but it really isn't necessary.

... and on a side note. For those wanting to get nice cards that aren't ridiculously priced go to Homegoods/TJMaxx. They have really nice cards that are $1.99-$2.99. (some on clearance too!) I miss smilies ... I would've used the yes head shake for that.

I wouldn’t feel obligated to send anything. I think a small gesture is always welcome, but I would never thinking badly of somebody who didn’t send something; even people close to us. We’re sending out announcements because we’re proud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter