Grand Californian questions

Tinkerbell19672

DIS Veteran
Its been many years since we stayed at GC and we had a room on the Downtown Disney side that you could barely see if you craned your neck. I’m trying to figure out what the different room types are. Would love a room that isn’t too far of a walk from the gates but if we went with a cheaper room, which is the best option? Courtyard? Are courtyard rooms the ones with a view of the monorail? Also, how is their parking lot? Is it hard to find parking if you leave and come back during the day? Will they let us park in their lot after checkout? TIA!

both Standard and Courtyard can have either close or far rooms. DTD View and Park view are consistently the furthest from the elevators. Courtyard has the Monorail view and is my favorite.

Never had a problem with self parking at GCH...mot of the time just Valet though, it is not much more. You are able to keep your car in the lot the remainder of the full day even after you check out. You pay per night stay, not per day...so for a one night stay for example you actually get two FULL days of parking privileges.

...If courtyard is guaranteed a monorail View, that would be my choice too :)
Courtyard and Woods are a combined view category. All courtyard view rooms will have a view of the monorail, and most woods view as well. While there is no official map, most woods view rooms are near Soarin and GRR (view of trees and partial park).

My usual request is “near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose”, there are many courtyard/woods rooms in this area.

Courtyard and Woods are a combined view category. All courtyard view rooms will have a view of the monorail, and most woods view as well. While there is no official map, most woods view rooms are near Soarin and GRR (view of trees and partial park).

My usual request is “near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose”, there are many courtyard/woods rooms in this area.

Thanks so much. Does requesting near elevators put you closer to the entrance to DCA too?

...Does requesting near elevators put you closer to the entrance to DCA too?
Yes, the elevators near Napa Rose are near the entrance to DCA (Napa Rose is directly between the elevators and the entrance).

There are 3 groups of elevators, so it is important to specify “Napa Rose”

Yes, the elevators near Napa Rose are near the entrance to DCA (Napa Rose is directly between the elevators and the entrance).

Thank you. Do you know if I can still make this request if I book through Orbitz?

If you don't mind my asking, what are the best names for the other two groups of elevators?

...what are the best names for the other two groups of elevators?
There are no official names, but "Lobby" and "Vacation Club" should be clear enough :teacher:

The lobby is shown as the Great Hall on maps, but I have never heard anyone call it that

There are no official names, but "Lobby" and "Vacation Club" should be clear enough :teacher:

The lobby is shown as the Great Hall on maps, but I have never heard anyone call it that

Thank you! The lobby is the one that leads to DTD, right? I would like to stay near the DTD elevators.

Thank you! The lobby is the one that leads to DTD, right? I would like to stay near the DTD elevators.

Lobby is the main elevators that drop you in the Grand Hall of the lobby and closest to DTD

Napa Rose elevators drop between Napa Rose and Stortytllers out by the pool and closest to the DCA entrance.

Vacation Club or DVC wing elevators are in the South wing and not close to either entrance!

Lobby is the main elevators that drop you in the Grand Hall of the lobby and closest to DTD

Napa Rose elevators drop between Napa Rose and Stortytllers out by the pool and closest to the DCA entrance.

Vacation Club or DVC wing elevators are in the South wing and not close to either entrance!

Thank you! This is good to know, especially when staying in a regular room and you do not want to be put into a corridor of the lost.

Last trip, we booked a Standard through Costco. I called ahead to the GCH and requested that if at all possible we be near the Napa Rose elevators. When we arrived, we were not near Napa Rose; instead, they had upgraded us to Courtyard view and put us near the lobby elevators. I liked the location very much and will request it again (though there is never any guarantee that requests will be accommodated). It was near enough to the pool and DCA gate, but also a nice easy distance from DTD, and since we always made the most of EMH and used the main park entrances for our early mornings, it suited us fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter