Grand Californian Villas plus Aulani

nzdisneymom

DIS Veteran
We had thought we would try for Aulani during spring break 2014 but the more we have talked about it, the more we'd like to split our flight up and spend a couple of days in California. We were last there in 2009 and bought points there so we have some "home points" we can use :)

Anyway, we were thinking we'd fly (east coast) to SNA, spend two nights at GCV, then fly to HNL to spend a week at Aulani. Then fly back to California and spend two more nights at GCV (or other hotel if not available) before flying home.

We're good with flying into SNA from our home area, but the question then becomes where is the best place to fly FROM to get to Honolulu? LAX? or another airport? Best meaning good flights, better prices? Just comparing LAX vs. SNA for this summer is about $120+ per ticket (times four people). So I was wondering if there are other regional airports we should look at?

We would also have to arrange transportation from GCV to that airport so we would consider that cost offsetting any savings we might have (both there and back). Suggestions? Tips? What's worked for you? What hasn't?

It would be my guess that you'd have more options from LAX - and the ability to book direct flights to HNL. I'm not for SURE but I don't think there are any direct flights between SNA and HNL. That would make my decision easy. You can always still use SNA for your flights to/from home tho if you're stopping over in both directions.

That's what I've done several times.

I fly to SNA, stay at VGC. Then my last day in California, I spend the day at the parks, and then spend the night at a LAX airport area hotel. That way I don't have to worry about traffic when going to the airport, or get up really, really early to catch a morning flight.
I use the Disneyland Express bus both SNA to DLR, and DLR to LAX. It costs a little more to LAX, but not all that much.

The next day I fly to Hawaii, very relaxed.

Also, I don't think any LA area airport (Ontario, Long Beach, Burbank, Orange County) other than LAX has non-stop flights to Honolulu, unless it's a charter, or perhaps a non-major airline.

That's what I've done several times.

I fly to SNA, stay at VGC. Then my last day in California, I spend the day at the parks, and then spend the night at a LAX airport area hotel. That way I don't have to worry about traffic when going to the airport, or get up really, really early to catch a morning flight.
I use the Disneyland Express bus both SNA to DLR, and DLR to LAX. It costs a little more to LAX, but not all that much.

The next day I fly to Hawaii, very relaxed.

Also, I don't think any LA area airport (Ontario, Long Beach, Burbank, Orange County) has non-stop flights to Honolulu, unless it's a charter, or perhaps a non-major airline.

John, great idea about spending the night at an LAX hotel. We've used Disneyland Express from SNA to DLR but weren't sure if it also went to LAX (just starting to think this through).

We were thinking we would book two separate flights rather than doing multi-legs - but would multi-legs be better?

And to answer my own question, I did a multi-leg via Kayak for this summer:
$1133 Delta / American Airlines
ATL 9:45a SNA 11:38a
LAX 2:55p HNL 5:35p
HNL 12:10p LAX 8:45p
SNA 12:15p ATL 7:30p

If we were to book these two flights separately, they would be similarly priced. Nonstop is very appealing :)

I had to switch to a different "home" airport to get my best pricing for this summer for DL & Aulani - and I ended up booking my flights separately rather than multi-city BECAUSE we're not stopping over anywhere on the way home. I was afraid if I switched airlines on the west coast on the way back that we'd have to reclaim our luggage and go thru security again since it wouldn't all be ticketed together. Didn't want to have to mess with all that. SOOO I booked Alaska Air for our DCA - LAX flight and then I also used Alaska Air for our return from Maui to DCA (via Seattle). Then I booked LAX - HNL direct on Delta and I booked HNL - OGG on Hawaiian. Ended up at $1,073 pp but it was the cheapest itinerary I could patch together...I guess considering we've got the hop between HNL & OGG that wasn't too bad.

And to answer my own question, I did a multi-leg via Kayak for this summer:
$1133 Delta / American Airlines
ATL 9:45a SNA 11:38a
LAX 2:55p HNL 5:35p
HNL 12:10p LAX 8:45p
SNA 12:15p ATL 7:30p

If we were to book these two flights separately, they would be similarly priced. Nonstop is very appealing :)

We are also visiting Aulani and VGC this summer (first half of July)
Unlike what you found, I saved a couple hundred dollars per person by booking flights separately. We are flying to HNL in 1 day, staying in Oahu for 9 nights, then flying to LA and staying at VGC for 5 nights on way home. We have
BOS-LAX 7:15am-10:30 N/S 6/28 (Virgin America)
LAX-HNL 5:50pm-8:30 N/S 6/28 (Delta)
HNL-LAX 8:00am-4:30 N/S 7/7 (Delta)
LAX-BOS 8:25am-4:55 N/S 7/12 (Virgin America)

So, I booked us each on 2 separate round-trips (BOS-LAX, and LAX-HNL), total per person was $890. When searching multi-stops on Kayak, I was getting prices in the $1100 range. We will have to collect our luggage at LAX and re-check it for 2nd flight, but we have plenty of time!

We are also visiting Aulani and VGC this summer (first half of July)
Unlike what you found, I saved a couple hundred dollars per person by booking flights separately. We are flying to HNL in 1 day, staying in Oahu for 9 nights, then flying to LA and staying at VGC for 5 nights on way home. We have
BOS-LAX 7:15am-10:30 N/S 6/28 (Virgin America)
LAX-HNL 5:50pm-8:30 N/S 6/28 (Delta)
HNL-LAX 8:00am-4:30 N/S 7/7 (Delta)
LAX-BOS 8:25am-4:55 N/S 7/12 (Virgin America)

So, I booked us each on 2 separate round-trips (BOS-LAX, and LAX-HNL), total per person was $890. When searching multi-stops on Kayak, I was getting prices in the $1100 range. We will have to collect our luggage at LAX and re-check it for 2nd flight, but we have plenty of time!

That's a really good price! :thumbsup2 I had hoped to get ours under $1K and tried to price 2 round trips but since we are also hopping over to Maui for a few nights I couldn't do round trips without having to go back to HNL from OGG. I just wanted to come back from OGG with only 1 stop. We've never used Virgin America and I had hoped to try them out combined with Jet Blue for this trip but they were just coming out higher. We booked the 8:40 AM flight from LAX to HNL on Delta and a couple of days after I booked it went up and it is currently holding around $208 MORE than what we paid for it!! They have others later in the day still at the same price but that first one out must be selling well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter