• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Villas...Would you buy in so you could, well... buy in?

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
I wanted to know from all of you DVC experts, how fast do you think the rumored 50-unit Grand Californian Villas will sell out?

Do you think they'll sell out to current DVC members before non-members get a chance to buy points there?

Just wondering about this because we're considering buying into DVC (a small resale contract) just so we can be one of the first to have an opportunity to buy into a DLR DVC (and not take a chance of it selling out before we get the chance to buy in).

Is this a good idea? Do you think it would be necessary?:confused3

Well, I haven't gotten much of a response yet, so I changed-up my question a bit so you'd know where I was coming from.:goodvibes

Any advice would be welcome.:thumbsup2

:rolleyes1

Hmmmmmm.....maybe I asked some dumb questions? Or.....maybe no one likes me?:sad:

Well, I guess I'll just keep hanging out here.....all by my lonesome.....move along.....nothing to see here.....:rolleyes1

I could not leave a fellow West Coaster hanging....:lmao:

:confused3 Not sure if I would buy in to buy in - I guess if I had enough $ I would. But I will be as close to the front of the line to purchase when they go on sale as I can get!!!! :cool1:I have already called my guide and asked him to "put me on the list" :yay:

Now we just wait :hourglass

One thing to consider, if it did sell out that quickly, I am sure that they would scramble to get another DL DVC for sale quickly. :woohoo:

Have they made an announcement? I would add on for sure! The Grand Californian is my favorite hotel. We try to visit once a year.

-DC

THANK YOU DVC DAISY AND DCFROMVA! WHEW! I was starting to hear an echo in here!

Well, we were thinking of selling our newer travel trailer. Then, with some of the proceeds, we'd buy a small (100 point) resale contract.

Now, I know 100 points isn't much, but it's enough for a week long stay most of the year in a studio at OKW or SSR or even BWV (standard view). Or, if we stay closer to home, it's enough points for 5 nights at the DLH or PP (4 nights at GCH) during value season at Disneyland.

You know, I kinda thought it would be a good start for us. Get our feet wet. Then when (or if) they start selling points for a Disneyland DVC, we can buy more points without the worry of it selling out before we get a chance to buy.

Not sure how fast it would sell out? Not sure how important the 11 month booking advantage will be there? I'm thinking the 11 month booking advantage might be A MUST at first, but I could be wrong.:confused3

Greetings to a fellow Inland Empire Disneyphile!

They haven't officially announced the Grand Californian DVC -- yet. When I asked my guide about it he claimed that he hadn't heard anything about it -- but wrote down that I was interested in an add on! :rolleyes1

You have to run the numbers and see what is best for your family and your situation. I understand that the points for GC stays now were lowered for the 50th year celebration and will likely not stay that way.

I know that it is harder to get there from where we live but have you ever been to Disneyworld? That is the best value for DVC for now.

I am too new to tell you whether the public will get to buy into a first phase of DVC -- if and when it is offered. I imagine that there will be a DVC in California some day. It may be better for you to wait and see what is offered before deciding to take the plunge and signing on to years of dues.

Just my 2 cents worth from someone who just bought!

My only concern with GCV in DL is that hotels in Anaheim around DL are so cheap compartively. I've stayed there for $55 a night within 2 blocks. Will the cost be worth it?

I understand the same is true at WDW to some extent, but not at $55/night.

I think you've got a good plan if you plan visit WDW once in awhile too. I'm like you, I think the 11 month booking window for DL could be a necessity. It seems easier to pass ROFR with 100 points then with a smaller contract for new members. I think you'll find once you're in you'll want more than 100 points so then you can just wait for DL DVC to add-on.

We found we needed more than the first 100 points since I made the mistake of staying in 2 bedroom units from the very start, so it will be interesting to see how we like staying in a studio in April. I think I'm going to miss the washer/dryer since we'll have our 6 yr old niece with us. This will be our first trip with only 3 of us, normally we're a group of 4-8.

My only concern with GCV in DL is that hotels in Anaheim around DL are so cheap compartively. I've stayed there for $55 a night within 2 blocks. Will the cost be worth it?

Well ,this is only my opinion, but HECK YES!!! The cost is totally worth it. Especially since there's so few on-site rooms as there is. That's why Disney can charge such a high rate for their rooms there.

They don't have much land in the area to expand much, so I would think the Disneyland hotel rooms, and any DVC rooms there, will always be highly sought after.

I could be wrong of course.:goodvibes

We haven't stayed at the off-site hotels for many years even with the price difference, most were getting to old and worn. We prefer the DLR hotels and look forward to seeing DVC expand to DL.

I think you've got a good plan if you plan visit WDW once in awhile too. I'm like you, I think the 11 month booking window for DL could be a necessity. It seems easier to pass ROFR with 100 points then with a smaller contract for new members. I think you'll find once you're in you'll want more than 100 points so then you can just wait for DL DVC to add-on.

We found we needed more than the first 100 points since I made the mistake of staying in 2 bedroom units from the very start, so it will be interesting to see how we like staying in a studio in April. I think I'm going to miss the washer/dryer since we'll have our 6 yr old niece with us. This will be our first trip with only 3 of us, normally we're a group of 4-8.

We want to visit WDW again soon! We had such a good time there and can't wait to take our kids! Depending on airfare, we'd ideally like to make one longer trip to WDW and one shorter trip to DL every year. But if airfare is just too high, we'll take one looooooong vacation at WDW.

I here you about wanting/needing more than 100 points. I'm looking at some of the artist's drawings for AKV (which look so neat and beautiful), and now I'm thinking "Hmmmmmm, maybe we should just bite the bullet and buy 150 points from Disney for AKV?":goodvibes

Oh, and I also hear you about needing the washer/dryer. I can't tell you how many times I wish I had one while at Disneyland...especially when you have 2 young boys, ages 7 & 3.:rolleyes:

I completely agree. I live in AZ, and while DL would be an easier trip, the amount of points they want, makes it a non-starter for us. We've stayed at the Disneyland hotel, and Paradise Pier (both very Nice). Last time we went to DL, we stayed at the Holiday In Anaheim. The time it takes to walk from the disney hotels to DL is about the time the bus takes from the Holiday Inn.

If we were to go again, I would bank my points and pay cash for the Holiday Inn. We had clean rooms, cheap transportation and I believe the kids ate free. I think we paid somewhere in the $80 / night range.

I wouldn't buy in...too much for airlines, and time in the air to Calif. for us...

Yep, I'm considering trying to purchase a small resale contract so that I could get first shot at GCV. I'm really worried it might sell out before it ever got offered to non-members. We live in Northern Calif. and go to DL every year (except the years we go to WDW- which is only every 3-4 years). I figure with the right sized small contract I could bank/borrow every three years for the WDW trips, and then use the GCV points for my annual trips. BUT, where my DH has agreed to GCV, I haven't sold him on the initial small contract idea, so I'm going to have to wait for official word on just how small the GCV project is going to be before I make a final decision.

We would not be interested in buying DVC Calif.
It is close to us...but its not a vacation destination for us....we only go to Disneyland every couple years for maybe 2 days.
We have been there 15 times in the last 20 yrs.
I would just use my existing points if needed.

This is sort of a dilema for me. I really like the GC, and we now visit DL once a year. We totally think the GC is worth the money. If using points, it's one of the best Disney Collection values.
I would absolutely, positively buy in... but... I also really want another 100 at AKV.

Not sure if I should hold out for GC, or add on at AKV (again). :confused3

MG

I am not interested in buying a CA DVC but I was told this past week from a person that knows someone that works at the resort in CA that preparations were put on hold since Disney is not allowed to pre-sell in CA. Take it for what it is worth.

its a shame that they will only have 50 rooms to start out with. yes dvc members will have the first shot of getting points there. will there be any points left for non dvc members? dvc has over 100,000 members how many of them are going to jump at dl?

Being on the East Coast, I can't really help too much as we don't go to DKL often (maybe once every 3-4 years) so we would not add on there. However, there has been a lot of interest just on these boards about at DL-DVC, and if the initial offering is really as tiny as they say, then I would say yes, you will need the 11-month booking window.

My GUESS (and that is all it is) is that new members (those who do not currently own) WILL have a first chance to buy in, as opposed to existing members snapping up all of the points. Why? Because DVC has invested a huge presence in CA--they are doing this for a reason. They want west coast owners (and lots of 'em), and this is the best way to get those on the fence people over the other side.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter