Grand Californian

Sorry for the delayed update. We were at the Grand on 5/20 and 5/21 in a 2 bedroom villa. We had a great time! They are still working out some bugs. On Friday they were not serving any hot food from am until 4:30 pm, not sure why.

The pool area was great! Staff walks you over to where you want to sit. We ended up cancelling our cabana because it was not necessary, of course the hotel was only at 30% capacity. I am sure that won't be the case with the increased capacity. We were able to bring in drinks and snacks. The gift shop, Hearthstone, and Craftsman bar and grill were both open. Good drinks and food and super friendly service. The hotel was SOOO clean and it felt good to be home. I am grateful we got the chance to stay with decreased capacity. There were very few people and it was super relaxing. Our villa overlooked DCA which is always a good time!

Friday night we had dinner at Club 33. It was amazing to walk back to the villa after treating ourselves.

I am happy to answer any questions. :)

I’m so glad you had a nice time!

Would you mind going over how security works when you exit from the GCH? I’ve been wondering in general about where it’s located and if the lines can be long, but I’ve mostly been curious about the process in the morning when we exit into DTD to line up for the parks in the morning.

Would you mind going over how security works when you exit from the GCH? I’ve been wondering in general about where it’s located and if the lines can be long, but I’ve mostly been curious about the process in the morning when we exit into DTD to line up for the parks in the morning.
I too would like to know!

It’s the same place as always heading into DTD. No lines because it is (right now) hotel guests only. When returning to the hotel just show your room key.

Sorry for the delayed update. We were at the Grand on 5/20 and 5/21 in a 2 bedroom villa. We had a great time! They are still working out some bugs. On Friday they were not serving any hot food from am until 4:30 pm, not sure why.

The pool area was great! Staff walks you over to where you want to sit. We ended up cancelling our cabana because it was not necessary, of course the hotel was only at 30% capacity. I am sure that won't be the case with the increased capacity. We were able to bring in drinks and snacks. The gift shop, Hearthstone, and Craftsman bar and grill were both open. Good drinks and food and super friendly service. The hotel was SOOO clean and it felt good to be home. I am grateful we got the chance to stay with decreased capacity. There were very few people and it was super relaxing. Our villa overlooked DCA which is always a good time!

Friday night we had dinner at Club 33. It was amazing to walk back to the villa after treating ourselves.

.....how did you get into Club 33? 👀 (that's sort of a bucket-list/lottery-win thing for me -- I wanna be a member!)

It’s the same place as always heading into DTD. No lines because it is (right now) hotel guests only. When returning to the hotel just show your room key.

Lol, that's good information except that I don't know where "the same place as always" is at the Grand Californian. I haven't stayed there since before they started doing security throughout Downtown Disney. I have stayed at the DLH and know security there is at the end of DTD just in front of the hotel and I know where security is located off of Harbor. And I've entered and exited from the GCH's DCA entrance/exit and know where/what that security line looks like. Do you line up behind the big fancy gates (the big ornate ones with the tree pattern) that exit right out to Downtown Disney? I don't remember seeing security outside of them (but maybe I just visually tuned it out?), so I wasn't sure if it was further in at the hotel like in the lobby or somewhere unexpected. My DH would probably laugh because he has an easy time remembering the physical layout of anyplace he's ever been, but the great hall, pool area, entrance to DCA, and exit to DTD are all jumbled up in my head. When I look at a map of the hotel, I do kind of remember the layout and it seems like the sensible area to do security would be the hallway just right before those big ornate gates, but I wasn't sure. And I was definitely not sure about lines, so it's nice to know that it will be quick and easy to get into DTD for an early morning start at DL's turnstiles.

Lol, that's good information except that I don't know where "the same place as always" is at the Grand Californian. I haven't stayed there since before they started doing security throughout Downtown Disney. I have stayed at the DLH and know security there is at the end of DTD just in front of the hotel and I know where security is located off of Harbor. And I've entered and exited from the GCH's DCA entrance/exit and know where/what that security line looks like. Do you line up behind the big fancy gates (the big ornate ones with the tree pattern) that exit right out to Downtown Disney? I don't remember seeing security outside of them (but maybe I just visually tuned it out?), so I wasn't sure if it was further in at the hotel like in the lobby or somewhere unexpected. My DH would probably laugh because he has an easy time remembering the physical layout of anyplace he's ever been, but the great hall, pool area, entrance to DCA, and exit to DTD are all jumbled up in my head. When I look at a map of the hotel, I do kind of remember the layout and it seems like the sensible area to do security would be the hallway just right before those big ornate gates, but I wasn't sure. And I was definitely not sure about lines, so it's nice to know that it will be quick and easy to get into DTD for an early morning start at DL's turnstiles.

Yes, security is at the big fancy gate across from Wetzels pretzels in DtD.

First thing in the mornings they have security on the far side of the courtyard and you come out between Starbucks and World of Disney. They usually have CM out to help point you in the right direction. Afternoons/evenings you exit and go through security at the big gates between sephora and the dress shop.

On the map red is mornings and purple is afternoons

First thing in the mornings they have security on the far side of the courtyard and you come out between Starbucks and World of Disney. They usually have CM out to help point you in the right direction. Afternoons/evenings you exit and go through security at the big gates between sephora and the dress shop.

On the map red is mornings and purple is afternoons
View attachment 577935
Huh. We were there just last week and in/out was always purple arrow. The temperature check was in the hallway of the buildings on the left side of the picture. Anyway, the map was a good idea.

I entered the security line at GCH at around 8am and encountered zero line (they must have let them through before then). We got to the turnstyles ahead of Harbor and M&F folks and were one of the first in the parks.

If you want to be sure to be closer to front-of-line at the turnstyles, I'd probably recommend 7:45am entering the GCH security line. If you kind of don't care, 8am is sufficient IMO.

If you want to be sure to be closer to front-of-line at the turnstyles, I'd probably recommend 7:45am entering the GCH security line.

Thanks! We will aim for 7:45 in that case. We are definitely front-of-the-line types. Well, I am the front-of-the-line type and my family goes along with me along with some hefty doses of eye rolling.:rotfl2:They’ve definitely appreciated it on more than a few occasions, though, including the time we were picked to go behind the gate and help do the countdown to open the park.

Alright, I talked myself into canceling our stay at the Courtyard and booking two nights at the Grabd. I am pregnant and have been dealing with a lot of pain and swelling from being on my feet too long. I want a quick entrance into the parks and a quick exit to my hotel room when I need a break. So in addition to buying some good compression socks, I am treating us to two nights here. My husband is not a fan of the Grand, but I am hoping this trip will redeem it for him.

I am super excited that the hotel guest only entrance into DCA will be open by then. I wonder if they will hold guests until 9am there or if they will let people in at the same time they let everyone in at the front gates...

Anyone know where I can find the hours for the restaurants in GC? I’d like to know what time Craftsman Grill serves breakfast.

Storytellers and Napa Rose reopen tomorrow!
It appears the Napa Rose lounge is not opening, since there are dinner tables placed in the lounge area.

The direct entrance to DCA is also opening (sometime this weekend)

Valet parking will be available (not 100% confirmed)

Alright, I talked myself into canceling our stay at the Courtyard and booking two nights at the Grabd. I am pregnant and have been dealing with a lot of pain and swelling from being on my feet too long. I want a quick entrance into the parks and a quick exit to my hotel room when I need a break. So in addition to buying some good compression socks, I am treating us to two nights here. My husband is not a fan of the Grand, but I am hoping this trip will redeem it for him.

I am super excited that the hotel guest only entrance into DCA will be open by then. I wonder if they will hold guests until 9am there or if they will let people in at the same time they let everyone in at the front gates...

I don’t think you’re going to regret it. I have friends that were rolling their eyes when we booked opening day/weekend at GCH and are now completely jealous about how exclusive it was...hoping you have an amazing time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter