Grand Canyon newbie

KCmike

Never have fallen asleep on any
Okay we just came from our first California trip and now I want to visit the Grand Canyon. I came across a hotel called the El Tovar. I guess first question is what are some fun things to do at the canyon? Could we drive to Disneyland for a few days? How long of a drive? Anyone been to the El Tovar or any other hotel near the southern rim?

Any websites or interesting info like disboards?

My ultimate goal would be to visit the canyon for a few days and then drive to disneyland and visit for the second time in my life and then maybe drive down to San Diego.

We just went during the fires and were really bummed that we couldn't really enjoy all of what SoCal had to offer.

We are major disney fans (Disneyworld 6 times and keeps calling, Disneyland one time and really loved it OCT 07).

This would be our first half nature vacation. kind of worried the kids will be too bored but would really love to see this wonder of the world.

Please advise.

We went to the Grand Canyon over spring break with out DD6 and DD4. You do not mention the age of your traveling party.

The El Tovar is the grand hotel of the Grand Canyon. Most other accommodations would be more motel in nature. We stayed at Maswik for the most recent trip and really liked it.

Never been to the Grand Canyon before. Children are 13,10, and 10. I would want to talk the wife into going beyond the canyon and into Disneyland and maybe to San Diego but i know that would be alot of driving.

I've stayed at the El Tovar several times--expensive, but worth it.

As for driving to Disneyland, expect about an 8 to 10 hour drive.

As far as the Grand Canyon is concerned, it's simply spectacular. You can sit/stand at on place for hours and watch the shadows and colors change like a kaleidiscope. There are mule deer, California condors, bats, squirrels, etc.

You can hike the trails into the canyon--just remember to allow twice as long to hike back as to hike in. You may get lucky and make reservations for a mule ride into the canyon--there used to be two--one a day/half-day trip and one overnight to the Colorado River.

There is a rim trail from the El Tovar that goes both east and west along the rim.

The list goes on and on.

Perhaps you should do more research at your local library or AAA office.

I punched in the distance between GC and disneyland and it said 8 hours. Are there alot of winding steep roads along the canyon or is there a straight shot (highway) out of there to Anaheim?

I punched in the distance between GC and disneyland and it said 8 hours. Are there alot of winding steep roads along the canyon or is there a straight shot (highway) out of there to Anaheim?

There are no winding steep roads as you won't be driving along the canyon. The map should have showed you driving south from the Grand Canyon to Williams AZ, then west on Interstate 40 to Interstate 15. And if you are driving south on Interstate 15 on a Sunday, add about 2-3 hours to your drive. I have seen that freeway literally bumper to bumper on a Sunday, as everyone drives back from Vegas to LA. I-15 also gets congested where it crosses I-10 on just about any day of the week (I was just there on Thursday, mid-day, and we were backed up going through that area for a good 30 minutes).

What time of year were you thinking about taking your trip?

I would like to know what time of year is best. We are thinking of a mid October trip. Any advice on this?

The grand canyon is much cooler in the winter. October should be ok but dont expect Arizona heat lol. (Case in point the Grand Canyon was 1 degree last weekend (In December) while in Phoenix we was 55 degrees) I been there once in October (South Rim) and it rained and started to sleet while we was driving home. It was foggy when we arrived but that disappeared by noon. (The rain didnt start until we left about 4PM)

With that said I think its an awesome time to go!! The crowds are little and the hotels are much cheaper then. We was there mid October once and the hotels right in the canyon we stopped at to check on were about $100 a night. I have never gone from the Grand Canyon to California as I am in Phoenix so cant help with that drive. I think it would be an awesome trip to combine the Nature with the FUn :-)

This will be our first year combining nature with fun too. El Tovar looks really nice but is out of our budget so were staying at Maswik. As for the kids Ive done plenty of research and there appears to be some great kids "Jr Ranger" program offered at the GC for no cost. My boys are 8 and 10 and so this would be perfect for them. Also there is a IMAX just south of the rim that is mentioned to be appealing for kids.

As for driving in one day it can be done. I wouldnt recommend it.

Ive gotten great hotel information at www.tripadvisor.com as well as www.grandcanyonlodges.com

The Grand Canyon is worth taking the kids to. Depending on personal skill level there are different hiking trails that can be taken. The most popular is the Bright Angel. This is the main trail that goes down into the Canyon. You can pretty much go as far as you would like and turn around. As stated before it takes twice as long to go up than go down, so plan accordingly. There are a few rest areas on the trail and usually has water available. Though you should check ahead of time concerning water availability.

I went there for the first two weeks in May 2006. Weather was nice on the rim, but it did get pretty warm down in the canyon. Drink lots of water.

I am a big advocate of the Jr Ranger program, so the kids may like that. It may be to late to get reservations, but the mule rides into the canyon are supposed to be pretty fun.

There are also several ranger programs offered throughout the day, so you should check those out. I recommend getting a National Parks Passport book. The are several cancellation stations with special stamps all throughout the Canyon. DS likes to get stamps of all the NP's he's been to. Kolb's studio and Desert View Watchtower have their own stamps.

The official website for Grand Canyon is www.nps.gov/grca

Have fun!:cool1:

I have been recording everything I can get my hands on in regards to the canyon on the travel channel lately.

We stayed at El Tovar back in June 2007. It was a very cool place! Loved staying on the rim. The ONLY problem we had at the hotel was that our a/c kept breaking down. Being the middle of June, it made the room pretty hot. (And the hotel was booked solid, so they couldn't move us) Other than that, it was very nice. The restaurant is great. Views are awesome.

Also, if you are a movie buff, the outside of the El Tovar is the hotel that Clark Griswold stops at in National Lampoon's Vacation (the inside scenes were shot on a soundstage, so you only see the outside of the hotel).

Kimya

How far is slide rock from the GC?

I am really trying to decide whether or not to try to do the Grand Canyon with Disneyland attached on the back side or go back to Disneyworld. It would cost me $1000 dollars more to go to the world.

I would like to add something special (and rather inexpensive) to add to our mini disneyland trip after the canyon as well. Is there anything fun to do around Disneyland for families?

We already did Hollywood, walk of fame, and newport beach. Any info would help.

How far is slide rock from the GC?

I am really trying to decide whether or not to try to do the Grand Canyon with Disneyland attached on the back side or go back to Disneyworld. It would cost me $1000 dollars more to go to the world.

I would like to add something special (and rather inexpensive) to add to our mini disneyland trip after the canyon as well. Is there anything fun to do around Disneyland for families?

We already did Hollywood, walk of fame, and newport beach. Any info would help.

Slide rock is in Sedona. Its about 100 miles drive and most beauitiful area you will ever see. In May it could be too cold to swim as its mountain water but the park is still open to explore and maybe get your toes freezing wet .lol. I have been to Sedona in May and we did wear jackets that year. Sedona is so beautiful and when you research you will see what I mean. Its all red rock.

11-12-2006-04.jpg

We took our kids to the Grand Canyon last year. they were 13, 10 and 6. It was one of the best trips we ever took!
They LOVED it. We stayed at Thunderbird Lodge which is one of the hotels right on the rim. It was nothing fancy, but having a canyon view from your room was awesome!!
We went in Nov and saw plenty of wildlife, missed the condors by about two weeks though.
tripadvisor forums is the best place to get advice!!

We will be visiting the Grand Canyon after visiting WDW in April - coming from Melbourne, Australia so we are spending a bit of time in the US (4 weeks). Saw the Grand Canyon in 1991 & from then on wanted to re-visit & raft the Colorado. You can raft the Colorado from about April to September (maybe longer) of various lengths. I am doing the 3 day trip (can only afford this amount of time) they fly you in from Las Vegas & you spend two nights/3 days rafting the lower half of the river. You can also get trips that raft the full length or from Bright Angel lodge (hiking in from the South Rim) to Lake Mead.

We will be then driving to San Diego & Los Angeles. Like the previous postings planning to drive through Sedona, Cottonwood, Prescott & through to El-Centro in California (stopping overnight). This seems a pretty long drive (9-10hrs) & we may stop before El-Centro (although pretty used to driving long distances coming from Aus.) - we just want to see some towns & the 'western' countryside off the interstates.

Regards
Chris.

Anyone have any pictures of the Grand Canyon hotels?

I took some while we were there in June. Will post this weekend, when I have a chance (at work, pics at home).

Kimya

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter