Grand Canyon trip

I'd recommend you consider exploring the Grand Canyon by going on the Grand Canyon Railway (https://www.thetrain.com/). It's based out of Williams. There's a hotel connected to the railway station in Williams and you can get packages of just 1 or multiple nights, even some include staying a night at a hotel IN the park. My MIL is 74 and very infirmed, can't walk very far at one time, hiking is a no go, and she wants to see the Grand Canyon...that's how DH is going to help her experience it.
We did the railway on our first visit. I’m not a fan since it hems you in with time constraints and we wouldn’t get to be there to see sunrise or sunset.

https://www.roadscholar.org/find-an...f-utah--s-grand-circle-of-parks-and-monuments
Get some information on Grand Canyon area with this web site. This is a great company, use to be Elder Hostel.
Also explore the web site. I have traveled with them 3 trips. One trip went to everyplace you mentioned except Grand Canyon. But they may have one tour that includes it.
Your room, most meals, tours, tips, are included. You are in a new bus, so you don't have to worry about driving or parking.
Read the reviews.

I am planning to go a 5 night trip that starts in Sedona and goes to Grand Canyon, overnight in the park, also includes train trip.
My parents did several of their trips back in the day, and they were REALLY good!

Wow! Thanks JimMIA. We will be doing the I-70 via Denver route. The plan right now is to stay over in Omaha the first stop.
Just to clarify, we will be going to Tucson after our northern AZ leg of the trip. We were not planning on using it as a base for any of that portion. Our daughter has rented a VRBO in the Tucson area for a week, and our family will be meeting there after our GC portion.

Do you think we need to book hotels (other than GC village) in advance, we would like to maintain some flexibility. Again, we are going the 2nd week of May.

Book all of your hotels ahead of time.

Wow! Thanks JimMIA. We will be doing the I-70 via Denver route. The plan right now is to stay over in Omaha the first stop.
Just to clarify, we will be going to Tucson after our northern AZ leg of the trip. We were not planning on using it as a base for any of that portion. Our daughter has rented a VRBO in the Tucson area for a week, and our family will be meeting there after our GC portion.

Do you think we need to book hotels (other than GC village) in advance, we would like to maintain some flexibility. Again, we are going the 2nd week of May.

If going I70 Denver the scenic route is get to 550 and head south on it through Durango. Many beautiful spots along the way. I40 into Arizona takes you past Meteor Crater and then you can visit Ft Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff. From there Beararizona as you see is cool, and its easy to see many canyon views from the village along the south rim without aggressive hiking. I would go south from here through Sedona, I'm not a hiker but Red Rocks State Park has trails I managed while 7 months pregnant!
Then take I17 if roads are clear but if not 89A south through Jerome is a beautiful drive to 69 or 169 back to the interstate. I used that route for work when I had a client to visit in Sedona, less traffic and prettier ride. If you don't want a hotel inside the park, I would not anticipate trouble finding places to stop. I love Matterhorn in Sedona, great balcony views.
There are pretty resorts and overnight lodging all along your way, if you want a specific place reserve it, but you can roll and book on the road pretty easily.

I would certainly book anything at national park lodges WAY in advance. You can usually book a year and a day in advance, and most have a 30-day cancellation policy, so you can make adjustments if needed. You're not going during prime time, so that means easier reservations, but it also means some lodging may not be open.

For Zion, Monument Valley, and I think Bryce, you have good outside-the-park options available if you have to do some schedule juggling. And Flagstaff has plenty of hotels (as long as Northern AZ U is not holding graduation). But you REALLY want to be INSIDE Grand Canyon, whether you're at the North Rim or South Rim. Grand Canyon is the reservation I would have solid, and not change.

Also, note that the North Rim of Grand Canyon closes for the winter. It is closed right now, with reopening planned for May 15 -- so it's possible it won't be open during your trip and you may have no choice but South Rim.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

I know there have been some threads about the GC recently and I have read them. My situation: DH and I will be vacationing in May/22, we are driving from the midwest. We want to spend some time in the area followed by a weeks stay with family in Tuscan. We don't have time restrictions but we do have some financial restraints. Most importantly, both my DH and myself have had some very serious health set backs in the last year, so the ability to enjoy the sites by hiking is very limited.

So, I guess my question is what is the best way to see the area with our limitations? We are looking at Zion, Bryce Canyon, Antelope, and the GC itself. I know I have to make reservations soon if we want to stay in the village. We are at the very beginning of our planning and would love any suggestions and recommendations.

If you're in Tucson, Mt. Lemmon is right there. I'm camping there at the end of the month.

I booked our cabin on May 1st for May 16, 2022. There were only 4 cabins left

I havent read all of the replies, but will add my thoughts.

On the Grand Canyon, I would highly suggest staying in the park. We have gone twice and stayed outside the first time and inside the second time. We stayed at the Kachina right on the rim and LOVED it!!! We could sit in our room and gaze out at the canyon or go outside where the rim was literally steps away! The Grand Canyon is very busy during the day with day visitors. They all leave around 4:00-5:00 and then its what I call the "magic time". The area is so quiet and peaceful. The Kachina is right next door to the El Tovar and both nights that we spent there, we walked over to the El Tovar in the evenings and sat in their lobby and listened to a young lady playing her guitar and singing. It really made for a special and relaxing night.

We have also been to both Zion and Bryce. We also stayed inside of those parks, but it is pretty expensive. While nice, its also fine (and much cheaper) to stay outside of the parks too, which we had done on previous trips. On our first trip, we had our Mom with us and she couldn't do any hiking. Even though she couldnt hike, it didnt diminish her visit. She still saw so much. At Zion, she saw so much just by riding the shuttle bus and getting off at various stops to take in the view. At Bryce, we drove to all of the viewpoins and she was able to easily get out and look.

We also visited Antelope Canyon. You do walk through it, but it was level and not huge, so not a ton of walking.

Hope you have a great trip!

We did the railway on our first visit. I’m not a fan since it hems you in with time constraints and we wouldn’t get to be there to see sunrise or sunset.

Totally agree with this!

Plus the train drops you off with tons of people/everyone else on the train, and its usually at the busy time of the day! May feel like Disney World at the Grand Canyon!!! Just kidding, its not that bad, but it is super busy! By riding the train you miss the early morning and early evening when it is much quieter and more peaceful to take in the amazing views!

On the Grand Canyon, I would highly suggest staying in the park. We have gone twice and stayed outside the first time and inside the second time. We stayed at the Kachina right on the rim and LOVED it!!! We could sit in our room and gaze out at the canyon or go outside where the rim was literally steps away! The Grand Canyon is very busy during the day with day visitors. They all leave around 4:00-5:00 and then its what I call the "magic time". The area is so quiet and peaceful. The Kachina is right next door to the El Tovar and both nights that we spent there, we walked over to the El Tovar in the evenings and sat in their lobby and listened to a young lady playing her guitar and singing. It really made for a special and relaxing night.

I've only stayed inside, but Tusayan isn't that bad since it's really close to the South Rim. The main problem will of course be long lines at the entrance stations. During the day we went to Tusayan to see the IMAX movie. They have a ranger stationed there to answer question and one can apparently pay in advance or buy one of several passes. They say something about bypassing the lines as long as one has already paid the entrance fee. Not sure if it's a receipt that goes on the dash.

Fast entry into the Park can now be accomplished by paying entry fees at the Official Pay Station located in the Visitor Center. A special entry lane then allows vehicles to circumvent the heavy traffic lanes and to enter the Park with virtually no delay. There is no additional fee for using the Visitor Center Pay Station.​

I haven't heard that Grand Canyon NP has ever gone to requiring day use reservations.

Saves tons on entry fees for a trip like this! Any US Citizen or permanent resident 62 and older can get one.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/senior-pass-changes.htm

It used to be $10. It's a little bit more complicated now.

However, they're only available to individuals. The standard $80/year annual pass can be signed by any two people, and they don't need to be US citizens or permanent residents.

Right now my fifth grader is eligible for what was the fourth grade pass. I just need to print out the form and take it with us (and our child).

https://www.nps.gov/kids/upload/5th-Grade-Voucher.pdf

5th-Grade-Voucher.pdf

Yep....I paid $10 for it and keep it in my car

Those were the days. Not it's a $20 annual senior pass or an $80 lifetime senior pass. Or 4 "consecutive" annual senior passes that are redeemed for a lifetime senior pass.

There are a bunch of ways to use it. It can pay for some (but not all) parking fees. I'm pretty sure it can be used at Forest Service pay parking lots in the Lake Tahoe area. The "hang tag" used to be cardboard, but now it looks like a more durable clear plastic.

https://www.hiking-for-her.com/National-Park-Pass.html

HangtagWithPassLogoResize.png

That is a difference. Mine is lifetime.
I've used it all over

I bought one for my mother. We went on a trip years ago and I bought one well before the trip started. Then once my dad and I left her at a lodge inside a particular park and had dinner outside, and I just bought another one for him when we reentered. However, if someone enters with a pass holder, it may be possible to ask for a reentry pass for someone accompanying the pass holder.

My mom couldn't find it and I ended up getting her a new one the next year. But it was still $10.

I heard there was a huge rush to get them before the price went up.

I was also told when entering not to put the pass on the mirror because someone might just break into your car to get it. I put it back in its place and leave it there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter