Grand Floridan or the Polynesian?

Ghosthost42

Earning My Ears
We are staying for 8 nights in October 2020 and are trying to figure out where we will stay. My husband says the Polynesian. However I am leaning towards the Grand. We have two boys both under 5. We will be using the pools! Also this year there seems to be heavier discounts on the Grand than the poly. Which would be best?

I, personally, prefer GF as I've had a number of noise issues at Poly, though the theming at Poly is really awesome. You will have zero entry pools and splash pads at both. Monorail access from both - though one advantage of the Poly is the ability to walk to TTC to catch the EP monorail. GF also has more TS options. I have also seen GF typically pricing out less when discounts are released. The theming may be better for 5-year old boys at Poly, but, as an overall resort, for me, GF wins.

I, personally, prefer GF as I've had a number of noise issues at Poly, though the theming at Poly is really awesome. You will have zero entry pools and splash pads at both. Monorail access from both - though one advantage of the Poly is the ability to walk to TTC to catch the EP monorail. GF also has more TS options. I have also seen GF typically pricing out less when discounts are released. The theming may be better for 5-year old boys at Poly, but, as an overall resort, for me, GF wins.
I’ve heard the poly can be exceptionally busy and noisy. I would be worried about relaxing.

I’ve heard the poly can be exceptionally busy and noisy. I would be worried about relaxing.

The Poly was busy when I stopped by for dinner and fireworks. The pool area is pretty, and there is no shortage of things for kids to do. But that resort is not relaxing. Disney resorts in general are not relaxing.

If I want to relax, I’ll go to the Grand Hyatt in Hawaii. Or I’ll take a Disney Cruise.

We are staying for 8 nights in October 2020 and are trying to figure out where we will stay. My husband says the Polynesian. However I am leaning towards the Grand. We have two boys both under 5. We will be using the pools! Also this year there seems to be heavier discounts on the Grand than the poly. Which would be best?
Grand Floridian is prettier and a bit more peaceful. I would choose that, especially if the price is lower.

The GF is amazing, and the kids will be happy anywhere. However, the pool at the Poly and the kids water play place are better for you kiddos at the Poly imho. They will love it. With that said... the GF beds are a dream and it is very relaxing there. Poly needs a refurb.

Either way you are going to have a great vacay!

Why not split stay 4 nights each?
They are both awesome resorts and hard to decide. On our next trip we are doing a split stay between GF and BC. One cool feature is your bags can be transferred between resorts by luggage services. Very painless.

We stayed at GF last year and it beat my expectations. I had read that the GF deluxe doesn’t really have amenities as a real 5star resort (eg, 4seasons, Waldorf). But after staying there we were very Happy. We ate at Ohana one morning and also a nice resort. Very tropical type feeling.

We love the Poly and our kids loved the Poly when they were kids and into their teens. The pools are awesome. They can be crowded, the main pool especially. Adding the fence and checking MB's has helped.

I enjoyed the GF as an adult. To me it's much more of an adultish type resort. There were plenty of kids there, so it's just my personal opinion.

The Poly grounds, torch lighting and general vibe is more child friendly to me.

We also loved the location. Being able to walk to the TTC was a big benefit for us.

They are both beautiful resorts and discounts have been smaller at the Poly. If you get a good discount at the GF, I would go for it.

I would stay at the one with the better discount. They're right next to one another. Close enough to share a fitness center (well, it technically belongs to GF, but all Poly guests can use it). The Beach pool at GF is one of the easiest pools to watch small children, in my opinion.

I would stay at the “cheaper” one.... I’ve stayed at both and I prefer the Grand Floridian. The kids will enjoy either one. They are so close that you can always have dinner at the Poly or walk over to grab a Dole Whip and watch the fireworks on the beach.

While I like both, I’m more of a Poly guy. My kids are currently 9 and 5 and we’ve had several stays since our oldest was 4. Just really love it there. No resort is perfect and Poly has issues just like everywhere, but it checks many boxes for us

We like GF too (and the pools quite a bit), but one thing that bugs me about GF more and more each time I stay there is access to Epcot. You just feel pretty isolated with having to rely on monorail transferring (or taxi/rideshare/Minnie Van). We spend a lot of time at Epcot so for 8 days that would impact my decision (especially during Food and Wine).

The pools at both are great for us and for parents, GF probably wins head to head though. Just a bit easier to keep eyes on everyone.

I’m also more partial to fireworks viewing from Poly given the straighter angle to MK. With younger kids we find ourselves at the resort quite a bit for fireworks, and it’s hard to beat Poly viewing. GF is good too, I’m just a bit picky about the angle. That time of year you’ll have both the regular HEA show and the special MNSSHP show on select nights over your stay.

Poly discounts have really stunk the last few years.

Can’t really go wrong with either, but we tend to lean Poly when given a choice.

No bad decision here.

So much is personal preference. Either pool area has a kids area. I think the Poly pool is more interesting but I’m not 5 yrs old. I do like both of the other pools, with both have food and drink options and a bit quieter.

To me the Poly has the appearance of more kid friendly and themed. Also I like the option to be able to walk to T&T to catch the monorail to EPCOT.

Staff- my experience has been that the Poly staff always seems more inviting and friendly (I’m sure others have had different experience). I would choose Poly.

I have to admit, I'm really sensitive to noise and my DS11 is really sensitive to chaos, so we haven't stayed at the Poly for about 2 years. In years past, we have stayed in quite a few longhouses (Hawaii, Fiji, Rarotonga) there and it's just very difficult to get a room assigned that is far away from the lagoon and/or luau cove noise. I find the lobby and the pool area also quite chaotic. That's just my personal sensitivity, however. It doesn't seem to bother other people. But if you are sensitive to noise or hustle-bustle, it may not be the right resort for you. Even at GF, I find a prefer the main building or an outer building-garden view, simply to try to avoid hearing the Electric Water Pageant every single night. I find we still visit Poly during our stays to get a Dole Whip or go to Trader Sam's, but I don't know if I'll stay there again. The theming is fantastic though! One nice thing about Poly and GF is they are connected by a walking path, so, if you do choose GF, you can always stroll over to Poly for dinner, fireworks, a Dole Whip, etc.

We’ve stayed at both and liked both. I’ve found Poly availability more challenging than GF. Also, we are totally content with a standard room at GF and have never had a bad room there. We love the GF and find it relaxing and elegant- not stuffy at all. We usually visit the poly, but have not returned. As others have said, you can’t make a bad choice.

I’ve rented DVC club points at both and have found the rooms at the Grand Florian much more sound proof. They were testing new equipment for current fireworks display at 3am when we stayed at poly and there was no way we could sleep through that. That being said, I am a sucker for the theming at the poly and find the mornings outside near DVC area and quiet pool really nice and relaxing. Would echo what ever is the best deal. For me it was about what’s available point rental wise.

Following! Planning a Spring 2020 trip with my husband and son. My dream is Grand Floridian, his is the Poly! Idk if there is a wrong decision!

I have stayed at both resorts and enjoy each one for different reasons. If you are on the fence I suggest going with the one that offers the deepest discount, which I suspect will be the Grand.

Both resorts have busy common areas, however once you leave the Lobby in the Grand, and the GCH at the Poly, and head towards your building or longhouse, you escape that.

IMO the level of service at the Grand is higher, and if you use the lobby and common areas for relaxing, there seems to be more of them in the Grand. In the end it is personal preference though. In my family my DGD, my DDIL and I are the Grand Girls, but the others prefer the Poly.

I have thought about staying at the GF but both of the girls (10 and 19) refer to it as the snooty place. They love eating there but they do not want to stay there. They think its to snobby for kids they would much more prefer the Poly. So much in fact our 6th trip is in 2021 and they have selected The Poly (I was looking at the Contemporary).

I think my 2 boys would hate the GF. It makes me uncomfortable to think of them there lol. It's too pristine and white and pretty, and my boys would leave dirty hand prints everywhere and I'd be too embarrassed about that lol

I have thought about staying at the GF but both of the girls (10 and 19) refer to it as the snooty place. They love eating there but they do not want to stay there. They think its to snobby for kids they would much more prefer the Poly. So much in fact our 6th trip is in 2021 and they have selected The Poly (I was looking at the Contemporary).

I'm laughing because my DGD loved the Grand at 15, and would choose that resort over the Poly, mus to her parent's dismay. LOL! No one in my family other than my DH wants to stay at the CR, and I think he only wants to stay there to relive our first trips together. There was not much choice back then..the Poly and the CR. That's it. Good thing we have so many resorts to choose from, yes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter