Grand Floridian Vs Disney Fantasy

Clarkson U

DIS Veteran
So, I am at the Grand Floridian this week for a conference - and have a conference rate for the hotel stay of $417/night plus taxes and fees. That is for a room with a standard view with a balcony.

It got me thinking of what is the better value.

So I decided to price out a week at the Grand Floridian vs a week on Disney Fantasy for the dates of 11/16-23/2024.

For the Grand Floridian - I chose a room with a water view, 7 day park tickets (no park hopper) and a dining plan that includes 1 table service, 1 quick service and one snack per day. So this would cover lunch and dinner but no breakfast. All in with taxes and fees before any other costs would be just above $8100 - I should say this is for 2 Adults - as additional adults in the room will cost more for the hotel stay. Looking around the resort - I doubt I could get breakfast for 2 adults for less than $15/day - so for 7 nights - another $100. Making the approx total of $8200.

I compared this to the Disney Fantasy - same dates; same 2 adults traveling. Looked at Category 4 A stateroom - Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah on Deck 10 midship.

This is the 7 Night Very Merrytime Western Carib cruise from Port Canaveral.

All in including gratuities for 2 adults - would be just over $6033. I would have to add in parking also for this - so another $150 ish or so estimate for parking near the port. This would make the approx total around $6200.

When I compare it this way - to me I should cruise. I don't have to worry about making reservations for meals, fighting crowds at the theme parks and I can save some money. I should mention that the Grand Floridian would not cover room service (what they call Disney Private Dining) without an additional cost for any item, whereas on the Fantasy room service for many items is included.

Just thought I would share the observations and the calculations. It's not perfect but does give a ball park figure of the 2 - I chose Grand Floridian because Deluxe Resort and I view a stateroom on the ship as also being Deluxe equivalent.

Obviously the entertainment is different at the 2 places but curious as to what others think. My only request is that you keep it positive and not put down anyone else's opinions. Thanks!

A very interesting comparison. Thanks!
Of course you are comparing the top WDW hotel with a very nice stateroom on the Fantasy. I wonder how the comparison would be if we compared say a week at POFQ with an ocean view cabin for the same period.

POFQ cheapest room I could find with same options as above for 2 Adults - almost $5600 plus costs for breakfast

Fantasy Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom Deck 9 FWD sleeps up to 5 is almost $5100 plus parking around the port but includes gratuities as pre-paid

A very interesting comparison. Thanks!
Of course you are comparing the top WDW hotel with a very nice stateroom on the Fantasy. I wonder how the comparison would be if we compared say a week at POFQ with an ocean view cabin for the same period.
This comparison makes more sense to me. We have DVC points now, which throws it off even more when trying to compare parks vs. cruise. The cruise never wins on cost when the lodging is "free" because you've paid points and dues.

And yet, we have three cruises booked (with the likelihood of cancelling at least one of them). *shrug*

This comparison makes more sense to me. We have DVC points now, which throws it off even more when trying to compare parks vs. cruise. The cruise never wins on cost when the lodging is "free" because you've paid points and dues.

And yet, we have three cruises booked (with the likelihood of cancelling at least one of them). *shrug*
I understand! We've owned DVC since 1995. But we still love to cruise too.

Both vacations have their own merit. Just wanted to say that first. :)
For me, the difference between WDW and cruise was always the *type* of vacation we wanted to have. WDW is busy and, often, exhausting. Our first cruise we did a 3-night followed by a week at WDW and we both said we did that backwards. The cruise should've been last because it was so relaxing compared with WDW. A cruise *feels* easier in terms of planning, and lot less running around to "maximize" the money spent, if that makes sense? At WDW, we always felt the need to cram in as much as possible. For whatever reason, we don't feel that way on a cruise.

Now that we are Florida residents and annual passholders, WDW is not a vacation destination for us any more, but cruises definitely are. I like the vibe on a cruise ship, I like visiting new places and experiencing different cultures. (That said, we're eyeballing Disneyland for a vacay next year. LOL)

We had the same realization a few years back. We just cruise now. The parks are so crowded now, doesn’t matter when we visit. We hate the genie + and LL system - always have to be on your phone - just too complicated. And the cost of tickets and food at the parks is insane now.

We had much rather cruise. So relaxing. And we rarely do any excursions. We just enjoy deck 13 on the fantasy. We are sailing again in a few weeks - VGT rate of $3500 for 2 people. All we need to add in extra is parking, tips and drinks. No excursions. And palo is free!

And we just discovered that we can trade our unused DVC points for Disney cruises thru one of the brokers. Win, win for us. Will be doing that next year. Will be like free cruises!

How much value can we calculate into the equation for not standing in lines, not walking all day on asphalt (because you need to maximize the cost of a park ticket), the frustration of getting VR codes and then having the ride go down, and teeming masses of people - who don’t realize their entire family is blocking traffic flow?

Versus

Relaxation on a cruise? ☺️

(Excursions on a Western C wouldn’t be too much $ for me.)

And there’s the intangible of lifetime cruise count. Not proud, but it exists.

When I go to WDW it is because I want to visit a theme park... when I cruise it is because I want to relax, and see whatever islands we stop at. It's comparing apples and oranges for us.

The current prices of WDW hotels are insane IMO... you can do the same vacation for a lot less than paying the price of deluxe. We spend a lot less time in what amounts to a hotel room for us when we are in Florida then we use the stateroom which you HAVE to pay for to be on the trip at all.

How much value can we calculate into the equation for not standing in lines, not walking all day on asphalt (because you need to maximize the cost of a park ticket), the frustration of getting VR codes and then having the ride go down, and teeming masses of people - who don’t realize their entire family is blocking traffic flow?

Versus

Relaxation on a cruise? ☺️

(Excursions on a Western C wouldn’t be too much $ for me.)

And there’s the intangible of lifetime cruise count. Not proud, but it exists.
Or (and I mean that a bit tongue in cheek 😊):

How much can you value to go from one immersively themed environment to the other, being taken hostage by the first order, sing along on It‘s a small world or singing along to September while you save the world from extinction together with the Guardians of the Galaxy

Versus

Being stuck on a ship all day.

It’s all in the eye of the beholder. 🤣 I know most of us here love cruises, but I love the theme parks very much, too! Would I pay rack rate at the Grand Flo? No way! I am very happy that I bought DVC (resale) 14 years ago. Otherwise we would be staying offsite by now at WDW.

Or (and I mean that a bit tongue in cheek 😊):

How much can you value to go from one immersively themed environment to the other, being taken hostage by the first order, sing along on It‘s a small world or singing along to September while you save the world from extinction together with the Guardians of the Galaxy

Versus

Being stuck on a ship all day.

It’s all in the eye of the beholder. 🤣 I know most of us here love cruises, but I love the theme parks very much, too! Would I pay rack rate at the Grand Flo? No way! I am very happy that I bought DVC (resale) 14 years ago. Otherwise we would be staying offsite by now at WDW.
Agree with this. We love both for very different reasons. Due to flexibility and DVC points, we have done a lot more park visits, but it's hard to choose a favorite.

Completely apples and oranges for me. I enjoy cruises occasionally but visiting WDW never gets old for me, and I find it to be an incredible value (but we have AP's and never pay near rack rate - cruises are MUCH more expensive for us).

POFQ cheapest room I could find with same options as above for 2 Adults - almost $5600 plus costs for breakfast

Fantasy Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom Deck 9 FWD sleeps up to 5 is almost $5100 plus parking around the port but includes gratuities as pre-paid
Although large compared to some cruise lines, DCL staterooms are small when compared to most hotel rooms.

A room at the Wilderness Lodge has a balcony, like a Verandah stateroom. I think Wilderness Lodge rooms are the smallest rooms at WDW. Plus they tend to be the least expensive Deluxe Resort rooms.

Perhaps comparing the cheapest room at Wilderness Lodge with a DCL Verandah stateroom is more appropriate?

We have DVC so like others have said that shifts the value, but not as much as you’d think. Park tickets and dining at WDW are so expensive. We’ve found the best value to for us is to stay a couple nights before and after a shorter 4 night cruise. We use our dvc points and enjoy the hotel pool, and don’t feel we need to do any big expensive character meals / buffets / signature dining on land because we know we will be eating our nice meals on the ship. Sometimes we will add a halloween/Christmas party or a one day park ticket if we are missing the theme parks. We enjoy those little one-day park visits more than if we stay a full week because the parks can get so exhausting if you do them every day.

Like others have said, being DVC makes a big difference. But no, our lodging isn't free! Afterall, we do have to pay dues and taxes every year. But we absolutely love staying at SSR prior to and after our DCL cruises. It's one of the nicest and the most relaxing resort at WDW in our opinion. It's also just a short boat ride from DS. As far as the parks we agree visiting them is absolutely exhausting. You not only walk on asphalt all day, but the crowding and cost is approaching ridiculous.

Like others have said, being DVC makes a big difference. But no, our lodging isn't free! Afterall, we do have to pay dues and taxes every year. But we absolutely love staying at SSR prior to and after our DCL cruises. It's one of the nicest and the most relaxing resort at WDW in our opinion. It's also just a short boat ride from DS. As far as the parks we agree visiting them is absolutely exhausting. You not only walk on asphalt all day, but the crowding and cost is approaching ridiculous.
Yeah, the way I look at it cruise cost vs. DVC isn't always linear as the seasons don't always align.

However, for us, we are staying 6 nights in early summer.... A DVC cost for a 1 BR will be about let's say $3,000, plus that month's payment of AP will be about $200, figure about $300 a day for food/snacks/gifts (just to make easy math) totaling another $1800.
All in cost for that trip will be somewhere around $5,000 (we don't have to worry about flights).

Most comparable thing would be a 7 night on the Fantasy... A 1 BR is nowhere near that price... Even a verandah stateroom not in aft is likely to be around 3-4k more than that...

So...WDW ends up being more affordable for AP holders, who drive to WDW, who also own DVC....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter