Guide to Christmas in Disney

Great advice :thumbsup2
We planned on going to AK on Christmas Day, purposely avoiding MK.
Wasn't sure what to use our 3rd FP+ on. We plan on getting there early, and doing the major rides. Tough not knowing if FP- will be available.
The level of detail in this thread is amazing. Very helpful to newbies like me ;)
Again, can't wait to read more.

I really appreciate that! I started this in between jobs, as I was making the transition from media to copywriting. I wanted to combine two things that I am incredibly passionate about and it seems to have worked!

Funny story - our AAA travel agent emailed us to tell us that we were eligible for FP+ and Magic Bands. He was impressed when we said "we already booked everything!"

It helps me tailor my excitement by writing about it. Obviously I'd be talking everyone's ear off (more than I already do) about Disney and my trip.

Funny story - our AAA travel agent emailed us to tell us that we were eligible for FP+ and Magic Bands. He was impressed when we said "we already booked everything!" It helps me tailor my excitement by writing about it. Obviously I'd be talking everyone's ear off (more than I already do) about Disney and my trip.
I just LOL when I read your story, cause the same thing happened with me. She thought I was crazy with my late night discovery of being able to customize my MB.
Countdown on....tomorrow is finally November

Does anyone know the date the Grand Floridian Gingerbread House will be complete? I want to see this soooo bad and will only be there Nov 19 to 22. Thanks!

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread! We are going over Thanksgiving, but a lot of your advice still applies. Fantastic work!

Does anyone know the date the Grand Floridian Gingerbread House will be complete? I want to see this soooo bad and will only be there Nov 19 to 22. Thanks!

I'm wondering the same thing! We're going nov 11-18 and I hope we get to see it! I called GF today and the operator didn't even know what the gingerbread house was. :/

I'm wondering the same thing! We're going nov 11-18 and I hope we get to see it! I called GF today and the operator didn't even know what the gingerbread house was. :/

I know it's a bit old, but we went to WDW Nov 18-22 2010 (our first trip!) and the GF Gingerbread House was complete and gorgeous! So I would think that you have a very good chance of seeing it.

Thank you for all of this useful information!

I have a question if you avoid the parks altogether on NYE day, are there other things you recommend?

How would one of the water parks be (I believe it is TL open this year), Disney quest, or one of the mini golf places?

Thanks

Definitely brave the crowds and check out the Osborne Family Lights. I've heard they might be doing away with them, so I'd see it before that happens (if it even does). Snow in Florida... Magical!

Also, if you can stand the people, take a stroll down Main Street USA at night right before the fireworks show. It's gorgeous!

Finally, Epcot seems to be the least crowded at night at this time. It's definitely worth it to see all the decorations. If anna and elsa are at the Norway pavilion by then, that's a plus :)

I know it's a bit old, but we went to WDW Nov 18-22 2010 (our first trip!) and the GF Gingerbread House was complete and gorgeous! So I would think that you have a very good chance of seeing it.

From what I've read, it seems to go up around the week before Thanksgiving!

Thank you for all of this useful information!

I have a question if you avoid the parks altogether on NYE day, are there other things you recommend?

How would one of the water parks be (I believe it is TL open this year), Disney quest, or one of the mini golf places?

Thanks

Hey!

We actually go to the parks at night. I know that you will read everywhere that the parks close or are at capacity by then, but we have never had a problem (we go to DHS, MK is another story). This year we're gonna try EPCOT.

Last year we lucked out. We had a gorgeous day, so we spend the day at the afternoon at the boardwalk and then went to DTD and old Pleasure Island. We stay out late on NYE, but then take an early flight on NY Day. As a result, we usually sleep late NYE Day (till about 10am). When we finally wake up and get out, it's around 11am.

Last year, it was so gorgeous out that we went to the Boardwalk. We had a Quick Service from the Boardwalk Bakery and ate by the water. After, we toured the resorts along the Boardwalk, then took a bus over to DTD. DTD is very cool during NYE Day. The market is pretty normal (the area by the stores), but Old Pleasure Island is pretty alive. They are setting up for the night and had already started selling drinking by the time we got over there.

We didn't bowl, but we got a drink from Splitsville. This place seems really cool and we may try it this year. There are also plenty of photo ops at DTD, as they have Step and Repeat Banners and backdrops to take pictures in front of.

If you get nice weather, I'd recommend mini golf, renting the boats from Contemporary or DTD, checking out resorts, or even just walking along DTD. It's our last day, so while we'd love to be at the parks, we like to just enjoy each other's company. If it's nice weather, we like to be outside enjoying the warmth before heading back to cold NY.

If you don't get nice weather (if there's one day I want a beautiful day, it's this day and Xmas), I'd say head to the bowling alley, go resort hopping, or as a very last resort, see a movie.

I agree, thank you!! These posts make my day. :)

PlutoTheDog89 said:
It helps me tailor my excitement by writing about it. Obviously I'd be talking everyone's ear off (more than I already do) about Disney and my trip.

And I'm right there with you with this, I think people are starting to roll their eyes at me at work.....LOL. But, I can't help it!!! I'm so excited (we're also going Christmas week), sometimes the word 'Disney' just pops out of my mouth, and before I know it I'm off and running with it......and telling people, who REALLY don't care, my Disney plans, lol. ;)

What a wonderful thread! Love all the tips!

I went one year on 12/26 and stayed until the 3rd or 4th. It was a great trip and I have to agree with you on most points here!

I would add that I wouldn't let the crowds scare anyone away. We stayed on site and took full advantage of Park Hoppers and the deluxe dining plan. We managed to see the NYE fireworks twice (because it made me cry the first time), Fantasmic, many of the other park specific shows. We also hit every big ticket thrill ride in each park without relying heavily on Fastpasses so the lines weren't too bad. But Christmas week at WDW is something every Disney fan needs to see I think.

We went for the Christmas experience with family and treated anything that happened as "gravy" to top things off. I think that's the key though, getting there knowing that the crowds would be insane really set our expectation level so that we weren't upset when we had to wait for two buses to go by before we finally got on one after NYE fireworks. And we did get lucky. New Year's Day we managed to get into MK by 9am (I say managed because we were up late) and it was deserted! We could walk on most rides until lunch. It was wonderful!

What a wonderful thread! Love all the tips!

I went one year on 12/26 and stayed until the 3rd or 4th. It was a great trip and I have to agree with you on most points here!

I would add that I wouldn't let the crowds scare anyone away. We stayed on site and took full advantage of Park Hoppers and the deluxe dining plan. We managed to see the NYE fireworks twice (because it made me cry the first time), Fantasmic, many of the other park specific shows. We also hit every big ticket thrill ride in each park without relying heavily on Fastpasses so the lines weren't too bad. But Christmas week at WDW is something every Disney fan needs to see I think.

We went for the Christmas experience with family and treated anything that happened as "gravy" to top things off. I think that's the key though, getting there knowing that the crowds would be insane really set our expectation level so that we weren't upset when we had to wait for two buses to go by before we finally got on one after NYE fireworks. And we did get lucky. New Year's Day we managed to get into MK by 9am (I say managed because we were up late) and it was deserted! We could walk on most rides until lunch. It was wonderful!

This is such a great point and something I mildly touched on in a previous post (not sure if it's on this thread or another...) So many people hear about the crowds and cringe thinking that it's a "horrible" time or that it's impossible to move.

While it does get very crowded, I've only felt restricted or claustrophobic once, and that's when we tried to brave the parks on NYE Day. Otherwise, Disney does a fantastic job of managing the crowds. They actually open up backstage areas during very crowded times, and allow people to walk "behind the scenes". For example, the idea of Main Street when it's crowded can send anyone cringing. What WDW actually does is open the area behind Main Street (near Tomorrowland Terrace). You are able to walk behind the scenes to the roundabout/entrance area. This cuts down on traffic significantly.

Also, by sticking with my POA's, they can help you plan to manage the parks and crowds effectively. I know I haven't posted POAs in a while (I apologize, I got a new job and have been busy) but there are more coming. Expect the EPCOT POA Part III by the end of the week and the DHS POA next week.

I also think FP+ will help with the crowds. I don't wanna open this pandora's box in this thread (I only want happy, positive thoughts on here) but I'm a big proponent of FP+. First, the parks are not that bad during the morning. Second, I think having FP+ will manage the crowds even further. Third, I feel like some people may actually hang at their resort or find something else to do to avoid the crowds, then head to the parks for their FP+. For example, I feel like some people may book their FP+ for around 5pm. They will hang by the pool or do something different, then head to the park around 4:30pm for their evening FP. After all, no one wants to hang at the park all day for an evening FP+. I think this will cut down on crowds as well.

There's definitely more to come, so stay tuned! We're in the home stretch!

I had an idea this morning. For the week of Christmas and duration of my trip, I was thinking of either live-tweeting or setting up an instagram (or both). I wanted to see how many people would either follow me, or find it useful to read my posts. I'd post tips, updates, maybe ride wait times if I see short times or extremely long times..

I can't seem to post a poll in a post (I would need a new thread) so feel free to answer on here!

Technically, I won't be there exactly on Christmas but the 2nd week in December. This will only be my second trip to Disney and I'm not sure how the crowds will be. Any insight into this?

Thanks so much, all your tips are very helpful!! :thumbsup2

PlutoTheDog89 said:
I had an idea this morning. For the week of Christmas and duration of my trip, I was thinking of either live-tweeting or setting up an instagram (or both). I wanted to see how many people would either follow me, or find it useful to read my posts. I'd post tips, updates, maybe ride wait times if I see short times or extremely long times..

I can't seem to post a poll in a post (I would need a new thread) so feel free to answer on here!

I like the instagram idea!

Technically, I won't be there exactly on Christmas but the 2nd week in December. This will only be my second trip to Disney and I'm not sure how the crowds will be. Any insight into this?

Thanks so much, all your tips are very helpful!! :thumbsup2

Shouldn't be too bad. That's round about the time that I've gone the last 2 trips. You may have a bit of a wait for the e-ticket rides. But FP will help with that. And if you do MVMCP, you will be able to pretty much walk on any ride you want.

It looks like the Gingerbread House at GF is going up today! Photos at https://www.facebook.com/OntheGoinMCO

One of the photos says it will be open Nov 16 10am-10pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter