Hakuna Matata - Marching in like Lions!

Yesterday, the df was too busy to fetch me from work, so I started walking my usual route home. About midway, I took a turn to explore. There's an entrance to a very nice walking path that crosses over the river in my city. It was very peaceful. Just me and the birds. It took me about a half mile out of my way, but it was good for the spirit. So I did 2.5 miles yesterday.

25718_381099173753_513883753_3635208_810790_n.jpg

A shot of the bridge.

Hope that's a beautiful place to walk. You guys live in a nice city.

I just rested today, you should rest after a half marathon right? Well unless your Goofy!

Dave:hippie:

Well Monday already eh? Geeeezzzz why do weekends go so fast.

Sorry team, I am so far behind in posts again this weekend. Hope everyone is doing awesome!!!!

Good Morning Team! :wave2:

Sunshine and 60° today. So looking forward to this week, as the forecast sunshine with highs into the low 70’s.

Let us know how you are doing with your weight loss. :cheer2:
We want to share your awesome accomplishments and excitement!
WTG-Robert 20#, Mike 16#, Connie 10#, Kim 10#, Dave 4# , Mary, Scott, & Vicky.

Dave- glad you are feeling better now!
Great question - it looks like most of us take a One-a-Day vitamin plus others! :hippie:

Hope- awesome walking path. :upsidedow

Jack-Good Morning :surfweb: We miss you!

Jennifer- Congrats on your first Track Meet-sounds like your girls are
doing Great even against the bigger schools. :goodvibes

Kim-we all feel like that! :eek:
Did you have lunch with our little Energizer Bunny this weekend?

Kristie- A couple of the problems for RD with the ‘judged race walking’
is they need judges out on the course. If the course is crowded and includes runners &
regular walkers it is very difficult to impossible to keep track of the official race walkers.

The Half & Full Marathons I register for do have the walking categories.
Detroit Marathon has divisions for the walk/run/jog and the walk where you
are disqualified if caught running or jogging. The Bib’s are different.
The walk/run/jog participants wear two Bib’s both on the front and back.

Mike- Again Congratulations - Great Report!
What a thrill to meet and talk with the Penguin!!!! You are Hooked…200 miles for a 5K! :lmao:

Scott- hope you were able to relax this weekend
and are feeling better. :upsidedow

Vicky- :hug:

Wishing you Sunshine and great training moments! :rainbow:
Connie, Dave, Denise, Eva, Gerry, Hope, Jack, Jennifer, Kim,
Kristie, Mary, Mike, Pam, Regina, Robert, Scott & Lynn, Sue, and Vicky-

AFM: Out the door to the gym-

Enjoy the moments! :wave:

Good morning y'all.

I woke with a lesson that your not sore the day after a hard race but the day after that. I'm not bad but have more sore areas than yesterday. I was going to do an easy 5 miler today but a pool workout sounds more fun right now. Besides it's another freezing morning. We are scheduled for temps in the 80s by wed.

Yes margie it appears that most of us take a vitamin at least every day. So for this weeks question a question about what we do to avoid blisters.

I wear shoes that have no tight places, snug enough not to slip but not snug enough to be putting pressure any where. Then well fitting socks with seams that you can't feel. A sock with a seam you can feel is a good for a blister on a long run or walk. Buy good socks from a shoe company made for running or walking.

The way you put on your shoes matters also. I loosen my laces a lot, slip my foot in and then with the shoe flat against the floor pull my heel snugly against the back of the shoe. Then tighten the laces back up from the toe end smoothing them as I go up and not pulling them to tight over the top of my foot just snug, to tight here will cause damage to the nerve on top of your foot and can hurt it for a long time. Then when the laces are snug double knot them. All the time I'm tightening the laces the heel is pressed firmly against the back of the shoe. This way there is not slippage on the heel as your run or walk.

Another good way to avoid blisters is to make sure you care for your feet. Regular lotion keeps you from having rough places. Blisters are a result of friction and rough dry skin on your feet cause more friction than smooth soft skin. Yes guys keeping your nails cut and your feet lotioned isn't just a girl thing. It can save you problems when you do a lot of miles.

If you feel any tight places when you have your shoe laced and ready to go that's where you might get a blister. Your laced shoe should actually feel like you have nothing on your feet at all.

Anyway, have a magical day y'all.

I use to get horrible blisters but now I just use those socks with the double layers at least for long walks and my problems seem to have gone away. I got 1 bad blister under my big toe during the full at disney but I think that is because I didn't cut my nails back far enough and one between my big toe and the next one on the other foot but I think that is more because I walked 14M with soaking wet feet so surprised I didn't have it any worse.

Mike got a blister after only 3M yesterday but again I think because he didn't put on the right socks, this where too thick so we had to cut our walk short to 3.6M yesterday and we where aiming for 5 - 6M.

Good Morning Team!

Congrats to this weekends racers! Awesome job by all.

To answer Dave's question of the week.
Not only is it blister care but general foot care. They take such a beating cramed into shoes for so many miles each week. I've been fortunate to stay away from blisters but I've had a purple nail from time to time. The keys as Dave has already mentioned. Good fitting shoes & socks. I love my "Wright" socks (double layer & foot hugging). Body Glide every potential rub or pressure point on the foot.
My 1 absolute must do indulgence is a pedicure about every 6 weeks. Keep the nails short & skin smooth.

Nothing exciting to report. Kind of a blah Monday at the office. Yoga tonight.

Have a fantastic day everyone.........Sue

Got in a couple miles on the TM this morn , Lynn reported it was warm and windy from her pup walk.

At work, such is life.

Good Monday Morning All,
Working with FEMA representatives today assessing the flood damage to our area, and it's raining AGAIN!

For my upcoming races- The RI State Police 5k Pursuit in April, and Perhaps the Mothers Day 5k in Newport (not sure how DW will feel about it). But there are a few summer 5ks in the area that take place along the shore. Newport you run by the Mansions and along some very scenic views.

I have been reading and everyone is doing great things, sorry to hear Jennifer's trial and tribulations on her race, thankfully she got through it with no permanent injuries.

Good News is it will be in the 70's this weekend and things will get a chance to dry out. Lots of wet basements around town, you see the hoses running out of them to the street. I feel for bad for them hopefully we can get some relief for them.

OKC run coming up~ good luck :woohoo:

Red Sox opening Day Sunday!!!

Be well everyone,

Jack

Hello team.

It's a sad day at our house. We received word this morning that our daughter has miscarried. Any miscarriage is a cause for sadness, but this one especially so as they had been trying three years for a child. We try to remember that God knows what is best, but times like these make it hard. :sad1:

As far as the blister question goes, that in one thing that has never been a problem for me. I have lost four toenails to date though, in spite of trying different shoes and different ways of lacing my shoes. Looks like I'm going to be losing another one soon....just in time for sandal season. :rolleyes:

Hi team! Well I made it through my 30K yesterday! :goodvibes Thankfully the weather was nice for most of the morning yesterday and the rain held off until the afternoon. Here's my race report - feel free to skip, it's a little long.

The Around the Bay race was held in Hamilton, ON which is about an hour outside of Toronto. I didn't realize exactly how the old the race was. The medal says 116 year anniversary and the shirt we got says "Older than Boston". DF and I met up with Kim and Mike (DH) on Saturday for lunch to check out the expo. Kim looks fabulous and you can really see the efforts from weight loss! :thumbsup2 Lunch was too short (as it usually is) so we'll have to catch up again before Scotiabank or Midsummer Night's. Are you guys in for that race again?

Skipping ahead to Sunday morning... DF was nice enough to drive me out to Hamilton and wait until the end of the race. I didn't think it was really necessary - at first :) After the race, I was very glad not to have to make the drive home by myself. We arrived at about 8:30AM, parked the car and waited indoors at Copps Coliseum until about 9:15AM or so and headed out to the start. I guess I should mention at this point that my left ankle wasn't feeling that great. I knew about my ankle the week before the race so I tried to stay off as much as I could but it definitely wasn't back to 100%. I found the 2:45 hr pace bunny but that was waaay faster than I could ever hope to run. DF spotted the 3:00 hr and noticed his sign read 10R/1W. I thought if I stayed behind his group, I'd be okay. So I waited about 10 people or so behind but lost him even before I crossed the start line. I was chatting with someone before the start but I didn't think he'd take off that quickly.

The course winds through most of downtown Hamilton, crosses the highway and then goes into some residential neighborhoods by the waterfront and then heads back to the start. The downtown area was filled with row houses - definitely nothing to look and actually quite boring. The roads themselves were pretty beat up so not the easiest on the feet plus you had to watch out for potholes and dips. The nice thing was seeing the residents coming out to cheer on the runners. I thought that was really nice since we were blocking all of their roads!

I crossed the 10K mat at about 1:03 which not bad. Unfortunately, my ankle was already sore and achy. But I didn't wake up at 6AM and drive for an hour to quit at 10K so I told myself I'll see what happens at 15K. I figured at least there would be buses and food at the 15K point - there were relay teams doing the race so there were exchange points at 10K, 15K, and 20K. At 15K, the ankle pain had become quite noticeable but thought "What's another 5K?" At the very least, I'll have done a half marathon distance so on I went. Just after the 15K mat, the 3:15 pace bunny caught up to me. She was doing 10/1 so I ran with their group for a bit but couldn't keep up after the 20K marker :( By this time, the top of my foot and ankle were burning so I had to slow down.

At 20K, the course goes through a really pretty neighborhood. Some of the houses back onto the lake but really, the area seemed almost like part of the countryside rather than part of a city. The cool thing about this part of the course was that some of the residents had set up their own aid stations and were handing out water cups, orange slices, bananas and candy. Definitely not something I've seen at many races before.

Here, the course had changed into rolling hills - I was okay with the uphills but the feet were unhappy with the downhills and I actually had to force myself to slow down. At 25-26K, there was a massive downhill which I wished I could have just run quickly down. From this downhill, you could see a big hill on the other side of the lake that you had to go back up. This is the hill that everyone talks about. But as much as I was hurting, I didn't think the hill was that bad. I did feel some burning in my quads when I got to the top but I had done some hill repeats so I felt prepared. I spotted the grim reaper and company at 27K. I've heard they come out every year. I got a real kick out of them trying to get runners to "rest" at the side of the road. Definitely put a smile on my face!

The final 3K was a slight downhill and lots of people out on the streets cheering us on! The race ended back at Copps Colesium with the runners entering the building through a loading dock area and then onto the finish line! So my finish was 3:36:01… not very impressive but something I'm glad I got done! And hey, I'm still upright and walking today so that's got to count for something. I posted my race and medal pictures on Facebook. So if you're on there - you can check it out!

Will catch up with everyone later! Have a training session and then a family dinner afterward. Thanks for reading (if you made it this far) :laughing:!

Dear Mary~ What can I say but, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. My prayers are with you. It's a very sad thing.
-------------------
Vicky~ way to stick it out.. You are tough!

Did 3.93 miles in 42 min today. Running 6 / walking 1.

Margie, Thanks! We're very proud of how far they've come already.

Mike, Dave, and Vicky, Great races! We're so proud of you!

AFM, 5 miles in 44 minutes. I may or may not be doing a 4 mile race when I go home for Easter. I want to, but I'm not sure my body is ready to race again yet.

Best,
Jennifer

Hi everyone,

Lynn- I think loose dogs in the country is expected. I have relatives who live in the country and their dogs and their neighbors' dogs are loose as well.

Thanks Sue! I'm excited about having someone else to run with and looking forward to it.

Margie- I'm sorry to hear DD has had such a rough year. Are things getting better?

Dave- Congrats on your race time!! I'm glad your race went so well!

Mike- I may check out that training plan. I'm almost to the end of what I'm working on since the goal is to run for 30 min. straight and then I am on to Tom Holland's beginner half marathon training plan to see how that goes. That is so awesome you had such a good experience with John Bingham. I can see how he would want to share your story- it sounds like a very inspirational one that would encourage lots of others! Congrats on your race!!

Mary- I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's loss. That is very sad news.

Vicky- Great job on finishing the race!! You must be tough as nails to keep pushing through all the pain in your foot/ankle.

I plan on getting some body glide and new shoes, but unfortunately we had to pay off our taxes first :sad2: which means I have to wait a little while longer before we have the money to get them. I'm hoping in the next month we can go to the local running store and check it out. I have switched to technical socks and am liking them. So far I have only noticed the blisters when I have run on the TM though. Thanks for all the tips and tricks!!

ASM- Today is an off day. I pulled something behind my knee yesterday (just walking around of course!) and my left ankle is giving me some trouble so I'm taking today off to see how it feels tomorrow. I think the bottom line is that I need to start making weight training as much of a priority as the running so all my weak areas get stronger and less prone to injury.

Have a wonderful evening.

Good Morning Team! :wave2:

Congratulations Vicky!
WTG - I think your time was fantastic.
pixiedust: For your ankle/foot issues!
Thanks for the race report … I enjoyed reading every word!

Hakunta Matata 2010 Race Calendar Updated to Here…:thumbsup2

Let us know how you are doing with your weight loss. :goodvibes
We want to share your awesome accomplishments and excitement too!
WTG-Robert 20#, Mike 16#, Connie 10#, Kim 10#, Dave 4#,
Mary, Scott, & Vicky.

Blisters- My feet swell- I am Blister Prone :eek:
So my shoes are a size larger and go from B width to D;
Wright Socks; Body Glide; over 10-miles and I still need
to tape area under big toes. I have used Duck Tape successfully.

Connie- hope things are a bit better for DD this week! :hug:
How are you doing with your training?
Is your foot still showing improvement?
We miss you-hope to hear from you soon!

Kristie- how are the repairs coming? :upsidedow
Get the parts you need? Are you able to train?
Less than two weeks until your next race…

Dave-I like the ‘Question of the Week’ idea! :thumbsup2
Hope you plan to copy them and organize them all in one post
Much nicer for reviewing what is working for others.
I am not usually sore after a half, but a couple of times when
I have added a new exercise (at the time they seem easy) I tend to over
do it–Ouch, yes, it’s the 2nd day that is always the worse! :sad1:

Jack-Nice to hear from you! :upsidedow
Added your races to the Team Calendar 1st page 2nd post.
Sorry to hear you guys are having such a terrible time with the
flooding this year. But it is good news that you are getting help!

Jennifer-Listen to your body :upsidedow
Relax and enjoy Easter at home with your family!

Kim-Vicky is very consistent with her training.
She has earned that A-1 physical condition!
Vicky also said you look fantastic!!!! :cheer2:
Do we need a new weight loss report?

Mary- *HUGS* That is heart breaking news…
I am so very sorry for your loss.
I will keep your family wrapped in prayer.

Mike- you are doing fantastic - nice post race run! ::yes::
Did you say you ran in high school/college?

Regina- weight training does the body good ::yes::
-it seems all our muscles support other.

Scott & Lynn-we are all ready for nice weather
-is your snow gone? :rolleyes1

Wishing you Sunshine and great training moments! :rainbow:
Connie, Dave, Denise, Eva, Gerry, Hope, Jack, Jennifer, Kim, Kristie, Mary, Mike, Pam, Regina, Robert, Scott & Lynn, Sue, and Vicky-

AFM: I know I will get a full workout this morning. :upsidedow
I am taking 2-3year olds and a 6 year old to the museum.

Oh Mary, I am so very sorry for you and your family.:hug:

Vicky, we aren't planning on doing Midsummer nights run this year. I don't like having to take a bus to and from the start....which I know is really weird as I do it every January.....but I am willing to sacrifice for disney;) Defiantley at expo for Scotia. We are there and I think I talked Kevin into another go at it....just cause this is the 3rd in a series of medals and he has the first 2:woohoo:

Margie: No Vicky is being very kind. I at still at 10 pds but I don't see any changes in my appearance and the clothes aren't fitting any different yet. However, have been more consistant and will start to see results soon.

Oh Mary, I am so very sorry for you and your family.:hug:

Margie: No Vicky is being very kind. I at still at 10 pds but I don't see any changes in my appearance and the clothes aren't fitting any different yet. However, have been more consistant and will start to see results soon.

Mary:hug:

Kimmer, your beauty is more than skin deep, your smile is like a light in the darkness. You and all the other princesses on here are just amazing ladies and I'm so proud of all of you.

I'm off to a 13 hr day at the store. Y'all play nice.

Wow I miss a few days and I have pages to read......i'm from a team that hardly ever posted!!!!

:cheer2:Congratulations to everyone who had races last weekend, you all did the team proud.:cheer2:

Mary a :hug: for you daughter.

Blisters.....not a problem for me, and as for vitamins I take flax oil, evening primrose oil, floravital, extra B's and protein powder.
I need to add a mutli vit as well, it's just finding the time to find one that meets allergy requirments.

As for repairs, I'm waiting on one part, and I'm affraid that politics is involved again.:sad1: It's not liked that I got invite for Boston from the RD, and without this part I can't go.:sad2:

Dh at the moment is putting together a rack for the back of our car as the new chair is too long to fit inside and as it turns in a different way to my first one will not sit on the roof!!!!

I'm hoping to go out a do some hill work, it was ment to be a 60 miler today but I didn't get to bed until after 12 and I can't get up a 5 and do that kind of distance without much sleep. Tonight I have a massage.:woohoo: It hurts like crazy but I feel better the day after.

My Dd went ice skating yesterday and went around the rink all by herself.:cheer2:
She is going to start lessons in may but we thought that we would try to give her a head start, so Daddy takes her every monday, yesterday was her 4th time on the ice.
She also gave up her binkie in return for an ice staking dress, so yesterday she got her own boots and dress.

The parks are crazy at the moment, you get used to have them to yourself and forget how bad it gets. we went in on sunday after Tinkerbell had her play date and because of the rain most of the guests had left.:woohoo: and it was nice and quiet. We met up with my Dd playdate and they had been in all day and said that it was a nightmare before the rain......how can you tell that we are both locals.:lmao:

We have 3 different house guests comming fron the 3rd till the day we leave for Boston(if i'm going) and we need to get the house ready, including taking the christmas trees dowm.:scared1: I have got one down and taken off the decorations that I can reach on the other two, but they are low on Dh's list so they have stayed up!!!! I think if our HOA where not so strich we would still have the lights outside.:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter