• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Happy in Hawaii –- Aulani & Oahu with a Toddler ~ Updated 7/20: Final Update and link to new TR!

What a fabulously long installment!! Yay!!

Cute cute fleece!! Way worth "losing" the other one!

Such an adventure! But it sounds like all your planning is really paying off. Seems like you knew exactly where to go and what to do. Way to go!

Oh and I'm totally impressed with your poop coaching skills! I've totally wanted to do that with Caden before (sometimes you just know they've got more in there) but usually I just put another diaper on and let him run again til I smell him. But it's super annoying to waste a diaper like that!

CHanging diapers on airplanes is never pleasant. Thank you for the poop story, I did have the misfortune to continue reading. :rotfl: Just imagine what it was like a few years ago when they didn't even have changing tables!! I thought you were going to end the story with some first class'ers commenting about your poop-coaching.

Anyway glad you finally made it there and all the luggage arrived and you got it all in the car. The doughnuts look AMAZING yummmm. You are definitely an accountant by the way you talk about the cost of everything you're buying - DH's sister is the same way. I LOVE the Minnie & Mickey sweatshirt you picked out - I bet Izzy absolutely loved it too!

You are a poop saint! My daughter has issues going and I have learned about the "drop and plop." Basically a drop of peppermint oil in the toilet (I use Young Living oils) and sit her in it with the iPad and a few minutes later.... it has worked its magic! Not sure I want to do it on the plane though- although it does smell nice!

Great tip about the exit for the Malsadas. Writing that down!

Adorable sweatshirt. I was thinking, not till spring? That's what my kids wear all winter? Then I remembered Minnesota!

Loved the update!
Glad you got there. I am impressed with your "poop coaching". That's a pretty impressive skill!
The new fleece is super cute! Totally worth it!

The doughnuts look amazing. I have always heard how the prices are in Hawaii,yikes I guess it's true!:eek:

Anyway, just thought it was worth mentioning, as Izzy’s gotten many compliments on flights, but people don’t usually point out the effort it takes on the parent’s part to have a well-behaved toddler.

You're not kidding. But believe me, we appreciate how much work it is!

They came back and we waited some more. Wasn’t looking like they were going to take off the gate-checked items after all. We just stuck around there anyway, since we’d be able to board again soon. In the meantime, Izzy found a fantastic new chair:

So cute!

Yep, that’s still my drink, not hers.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Pretty much every flight I’ve been on in the last year with Izzy has been like that. I always get the recliner in front of me.

I feel your pain.

So, if you are either eating, planning to eat, or just don’t care about poopy stories, go ahead and skip right by this paragraph.

I'd better go. You know I hate talking about poop in TR's. :rolleyes1

So, to the best of my understanding, Han and Darth got married to each other, did a lot of hugging, and they also showed off their gymnastics/dancing skills by repeatedly doing the splits. Who knew that Star Wars was like this?

Meh. Needs more lightsabers. :rotfl2:

We traded off using the restrooms. I thought the signs were cute reminders that we were in Hawaii:

I thought that was a nice touch, too.

Yay, time to head out for treats! It was so strange to be driving, knowing that I was on a Hawaiian island! Our plan was to steal a page from Captain Oblivious’ TR and make a stop for Leonard’s Malasadas (Portugese donuts that are known to be delicious) and a stop for groceries on our way to Aulani.

:woohoo:

Dug had pulled up the directions to the Malasadamobile on his phone, but they wanted him to exit at a different exit than I had in my notes from Mark’s TR (Captain Oblivious). Since I trusted a DIS-er more than Siri, and I was the one driving, we took Mark’s exit – and it was RIGHT! Take that, Siri!

YES!!! (and: whew!)

Man, I miss these.

We got back on the road and took the next exit to the Ko Olina resort area. We drove past the guard house (where, as far as I can tell, the job of those who work there is to just wave to everyone as they drive past)

Yeah, that was all we could tell too. :rotfl2:

…and drove right past Aulani. Being a big ol’ Disney resort and all, you’d think they’d have a lot of signage. Nope. Just some lights on a tree and a single lane road as an entrance. Go figure.

I think it was easier in the daylight. :thumbsup2

Glad you arrived safe - despite the great poop escapade

and see, if you didn't lose/had stolen the fleece you wouldn't have gotten that cute Mickey/Minnie one ... things do happen for a reason

Those donuts look good - think for that late and just arriving I might have stuck with the non-filled ones, but they all look good.

That is odd that there is no signage about the resort - wonder if that is like standard practice for Hawaii or just something they did to keep it more low key :confused3

Glad you made it. It was really nice someone acknowledged your hard work at keeping Izzie happy and occupied. I laughed at you image of helping Ozzie in the bathroom. So true though(this being said of 25 years working as an RN in labor and delivery). Can't wait for more.

I enjoyed reading about your plane ride to Hawaii. I am dreading this with my 3 kiddos in March!

So which flavor of malasada did you like the best? Are they worth the stop on the way to Aulani?

PS--Kudos to you for keeping your daughter happy and entertained! I know that is a lot of work!

What a fabulously long installment!! Yay!!
Yeah, turns out I had a lot to say in this one. :rotfl: I really wanted to get us to Hawaii, though, so had to crank it out!

Cute cute fleece!! Way worth "losing" the other one!
Agreed! I love the new one. The old one was cute, but nothing special. And Izzy loves the little bow and ears on the hood too.

Such an adventure! But it sounds like all your planning is really paying off. Seems like you knew exactly where to go and what to do. Way to go!
Yeah, we managed okay. I literally took notes on the Aulani TRs I read, then tried to put them together in a way that would help us get around and do the must-dos. This was pretty smooth sailing, other than the whole driving-past-Aulani thing.

Oh and I'm totally impressed with your poop coaching skills! I've totally wanted to do that with Caden before (sometimes you just know they've got more in there) but usually I just put another diaper on and let him run again til I smell him. But it's super annoying to waste a diaper like that!
That's what I'd normally do at home too, but I really didn't want to come out of that restroom with a super-upset toddler that was going to be crying and stinking up the place. :lmao: And I could actually see there was more coming, so I wasn't taking any chances at that point. :eek:

CHanging diapers on airplanes is never pleasant. Thank you for the poop story, I did have the misfortune to continue reading. :rotfl: Just imagine what it was like a few years ago when they didn't even have changing tables!! I thought you were going to end the story with some first class'ers commenting about your poop-coaching.
Ha, I was worried that they wouldn't have a changing table. I hadn't needed one before, but I had heard they didn't all have them and remember reading a TR or two where they had to change the kid hanging off the toilet and stuff. I was worried that I was going to get comments from the First Class folks - I tried to coach quietly, but who knows what people can hear? I don't think most people have conversations in there, so not sure what kind of sound carries through. A couple people glanced at us walking back, but I think it was more of a, "hey, there's a toddler on this flight?" look than anything, since she'd been so quiet so far.

Anyway glad you finally made it there and all the luggage arrived and you got it all in the car. The doughnuts look AMAZING yummmm. You are definitely an accountant by the way you talk about the cost of everything you're buying - DH's sister is the same way. I LOVE the Minnie & Mickey sweatshirt you picked out - I bet Izzy absolutely loved it too!
The malasadas were really good! And we're not even really doughnut people, but they really hit the spot after the long travel day. Haha, yeah - you can see why I went into accounting. It wasn't what I majored in (double major in TV/Film Production and Advertising here!), but I later realized that I loved numbers and money and probably should be doing something related to that, so here I am now. I'm pretty price-conscious shopping, but I also wanted to share some of that because I had actually tried to find out in advance (via TRs) if the Hawaii Target prices were more than here and I couldn't find anything - so, for anyone wondering, they are not terrible, but some things are noticeably more - like milk! Oh, and thanks on the sweatshirt - we all love it! :thumbsup2 (even if it was like $16 :rotfl2:)

You are a poop saint! My daughter has issues going and I have learned about the "drop and plop." Basically a drop of peppermint oil in the toilet (I use Young Living oils) and sit her in it with the iPad and a few minutes later.... it has worked its magic! Not sure I want to do it on the plane though- although it does smell nice!
Oh, wow, I've never heard of that method before. I bet people would comment afterwards on how nice the airplane restroom smells. :rotfl2:

Great tip about the exit for the Malsadas. Writing that down!
Yes, they are a great treat on your way to the resort! And you can keep leftovers for future breakfasts, as we did (better fresh, but still good).

Adorable sweatshirt. I was thinking, not till spring? That's what my kids wear all winter? Then I remembered Minnesota!
Ha, I wish we could wear them all winter (though we actually did have some really mild days this month where we could). I hate wearing winter jackets, I'm much happier in a fleece. Guess I'm in the wrong state.

Loved the update!
Glad you got there. I am impressed with your "poop coaching". That's a pretty impressive skill!
The new fleece is super cute! Totally worth it!
Thanks, I had no idea I had that skill. But you discover new parts of yourself as a mommy, I guess. :rotfl: We love that fleece - very worth it, so long as it fits her for a while (I think it will).

The doughnuts look amazing. I have always heard how the prices are in Hawaii,yikes I guess it's true!:eek:
They were really delicious. And, yes, the prices are high. I was sure happy to still get my Target discounts - the percentages off were kind-of worth more there with the high prices, I guess. :thumbsup2

You're not kidding. But believe me, we appreciate how much work it is!
I don't know how you do it with 4 kiddos! Makes entertaining one toddler look like a piece of cake when you're juggling the needs of two kids per parent! :worship:

Thanks! It made for a nice photo op!

Thanks for clarifying that.
You would be surprised how many people asked me if it was Izzy's drink after I posted the picture on Facebook. :confused3

I feel your pain.
I just don't get why people recline sometimes. I mean, I think MOST people don't, but the ones that do (always in front of you and me, of course) just seem to do it without a care in the world and like it doesn't affect anyone. I mean, maybe just take a look behind you first to make sure you're not going to crash into a lap baby or shove a tray table into someone (happened to Dug).

I'd better go. You know I hate talking about poop in TR's. :rolleyes1
:lmao: I feel like there's an unwritten rule that all TRs involving babies/toddlers must include at least one poop story. Thank goodness I finally got mine in. Whew!

Meh. Needs more lightsabers. :rotfl2:
Well, if it helps, they do both have tiny lightsabers built into their hands. :thumbsup2 As a side note, the other day when Dug picked up Izzy from daycare, they got home and Izzy handed Dug a lightsaber (we all have one laying around, right?) and then said, "I go get mine" and went to her room and came back with one and challenged him to a dual. Smart kid. Proud daddy.

I thought that was a nice touch, too.
I loved those little details. But felt silly taking a picture of a restroom sign. The things we do for the DIS. :rotfl2:

:woohoo:

YES!!! (and: whew!)
It was so funny that we were having a debate about directions in the car and I'm like, "But Mark, on the DIS, he was very clear that it was exit 7. He knows what he's talking about, I think he's a highway engineer. I don't care if Siri says exit 8." Dug just gave up on that one, but clearly expected me to be wrong. Haha! (and Thank You!)

Man, I miss these.
They were such a tasty treat! We actually ended up driving by the non-truck Leonard's a couple times and it was hard to resist stopping in for more (but we managed to keep going).

Yeah, that was all we could tell too. :rotfl2:
Every time I went through, I wondered about how they determine if there is someone they shouldn't wave to. Oh, well, just glad we never had issues. Though I can tell you that Hickam Field does not follow this same procedure. :rolleyes1

I think it was easier in the daylight. :thumbsup2
Yeah, that was a bit better, but it was still really minimal. I mean, that first night we DID actually SEE it, but slowed down and looked and said, "This can't be it. Maybe it's a service entrance. There's got to be one with a sign, right?" and kept going. Not to mention how easy it was to miss the whole Ko Olina exit itself. Not that we did that later too. :rolleyes1

Glad you arrived safe - despite the great poop escapade
Ha, thanks! We all survived!

and see, if you didn't lose/had stolen the fleece you wouldn't have gotten that cute Mickey/Minnie one ... things do happen for a reason
Exactly! We definitely upgraded her jacket! I was so excited to see that table of Mickey/Minnie items! SO cute and I had a perfect excuse to buy one - we really did need it.

Those donuts look good - think for that late and just arriving I might have stuck with the non-filled ones, but they all look good.
They were super good. And you are wise to stick with non-filled - the others were a tad messy in a car! :rotfl:

That is odd that there is no signage about the resort - wonder if that is like standard practice for Hawaii or just something they did to keep it more low key :confused3
I wondered about that too. I'm guessing it's a Hawaii thing as there is not a lot of great signage in general. I'm so used to purple highway signs and all, so this was really different for a DVC resort. I just expected something a bit more grand to signal the entrance. :confused3

Glad you made it. It was really nice someone acknowledged your hard work at keeping Izzie happy and occupied. I laughed at you image of helping Ozzie in the bathroom. So true though(this being said of 25 years working as an RN in labor and delivery). Can't wait for more.
Oh, wow, so you have spent plenty of time doing similar coaching! :rotfl2: I was just so glad that she actually responded well to it. You could see her little face considering it and then deciding to trust me and go for it. It looked really painful. :eek: I don't know how you do what you do, but good for you!

I enjoyed reading about your plane ride to Hawaii. I am dreading this with my 3 kiddos in March!
I hope it goes well for you! It's a long flight, but manageable. How old are your kids?

So which flavor of malasada did you like the best? Are they worth the stop on the way to Aulani?
I know that Dug really liked the custard (he really likes custard in general) and I did enjoy the chocolate, but I think the standard ones (no filling) are the must-haves. They are classic and delicious (and less messy). If you have the time and are ready for a snack, I totally think they are worth a quick stop. After a long flight, it's nice to just savor something special. Maybe that is an incentive to help the kids through the long flight even?

PS--Kudos to you for keeping your daughter happy and entertained! I know that is a lot of work!
Thanks! :goodvibes

I just reread my description of the drop and plop! I put her ON the toilet, not IN the toilet. That one letter makes me sound like a real nut! :rotfl2:

Yay - you made it! Reading about your airplane experience is making me nervous for next week - flying to Scottsdale with Rory on our laps - ugh. First class and own seat sound like a dream, although the flight to Hawaii is LONG.

That is too bad about Izzy's fleece, but I love the new one!

Those malasadas look amazing. Taking notes for our someday trip!

I can't wait to read more!

I just reread my description of the drop and plop! I put her ON the toilet, not IN the toilet. That one letter makes me sound like a real nut! :rotfl2:
Ha, I understood what you meant! :goodvibes

Yay - you made it! Reading about your airplane experience is making me nervous for next week - flying to Scottsdale with Rory on our laps - ugh. First class and own seat sound like a dream, although the flight to Hawaii is LONG.
I hope you have a great flight! When we flew with Izzy as a lap baby, we always asked at the gate if there was an empty seat she could use and got one about half the time - that could help, if your flight's not full.

That is too bad about Izzy's fleece, but I love the new one!
Thanks, I was happy with the upgrade! :thumbsup2

Those malasadas look amazing. Taking notes for our someday trip!
Yes, put those on the bucket list! :goodvibes

I can't wait to read more!
Thanks!

Just wanted to say that I'm all caught up on your trip report! Happy to see you arrived in Hawaii and found those delicious donuts! Man they look good.

And I had to laugh at the poopy diaper story. Who, as a parent, hasn't done something that seems weird or disgusting on the outside but is just another day in the life of a mom or dad.

Just wanted to say that I'm all caught up on your trip report! Happy to see you arrived in Hawaii and found those delicious donuts! Man they look good.
Glad you're here! They were SO good! Especially after a long day of travel.

And I had to laugh at the poopy diaper story. Who, as a parent, hasn't done something that seems weird or disgusting on the outside but is just another day in the life of a mom or dad.
Very true. This particular situation was a first for me, though - but why not do it on an airplane? :lmao: But, yeah, the things we never thought we'd do or say...

So, once we turned around and found our way into the Aulani entrance, we were on our way up past the parking garage to the front doors. As I’d heard about, they greeted us immediately and helped us out of the car and gave us our leis. We were also offered some water, which we enjoyed (yes, the Mickey head fruit was in there, but no picture). It worked well that we had bought all the drinks on the way in, as they were able to load them all up on the cart with the luggage, so we didn’t have to lug them in on our own. :thumbsup2 They told us that they would valet the car while we got checked in and settled, then we could come get it later and move it to the parking garage, as we had free DVC-point-reservation parking. I asked them if it would be okay for us to leave it for a bit, as we had to get Izzy to bed and all – they said it was no problem.

We headed inside and took a family arrival picture:

Looking up in the lobby:

Yay, we’re here:

We went to the desk and got all checked in. I was super excited to hear our room was on the 7th floor. :woohoo: I’d been looking at the rooms and views thread shortly before the trip and had noted that 7th was the highest floor for a standard view studio and that higher was generally better. It was especially exciting, as we did not put in a room request at all. They also saw that Izzy had recently turned 2, so she got a birthday button to go with her cute little Menehune necklace they’d just given her:

After checking in, we turned in this direction to go see our room:

Izzy was still hanging in there and didn’t want to ride in her stroller:

We peeked outside and saw some entertainment:

More beauty:

Once we made it to the elevators and up to the 7th floor, Izzy couldn’t wait to get to the room:

Our room was 765 and we loved it. No complaints. For a standard view, you couldn’t do much better. And the room was well-located within the hotel too. Being that it was dark, we couldn’t get great balcony pictures, but we tried anyway:

Izzy came out to explore it with me.

The room itself was very nice. Here’s a quick look at our studio:

We ended up setting up Izzy’s pack ‘n’ play against that adjoining door on the left. And the luggage, once we unpacked, fit nicely under the foot of the bed, so it was out of the way.

Dug was already getting comfy as Izzy explored:

After quickly orienting ourselves with our new home and getting our luggage delivered, we got Izzy changed into her Hawaii pajamas so that she could drift off in her stroller as we took a look around:

She wanted to push the stroller, though:

We stepped back into the hallway:

And she was off:

Up next: Wandering around in the dark.

Yay!!! You made it!!!

Lol at Izzy not wanting to sleep! of course not! She had been looking forward to this for months! ;)

So, to the best of my understanding, Han and Darth got married to each other, did a lot of hugging, and they also showed off their gymnastics/dancing skills by repeatedly doing the splits.

LOL-this is so cute! :)The first time we took our daughter to Hawaii she was about Izzys age and she played with her Teletubbie dolls through out the whole trip the same way so we have an old photo album filled with Teletubbies on the beach, in restaurants, in an airplane, relaxing on hotel beds-you get the idea...
I LOVE your idea of having a family picture/selfie in the lobby when you arrived, I hope I remember to do that the next time we go!

Gotta love that toddler energy when you least expect it!

I'm looking forward to seeing your night exploration pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter