Has anyone been around the Richmond Bypass, 295 in the last few years?

Stratman50th

Loving all things Fort Wilderness!
I'll be heading back to MD the beginning of next month. On all of our north/south trips I took 295 around Richmond. Longer in mileage but the traffic was better. That being said, 295 has a lot of very rough sections that really hammer us. Sometimes it seems as though it's going to tear the coach apart. If it's still as bad as it has been in previous years I might just struggle through Richmond on 95.
Thanks,
Don

Don we don't use 295 Richmond - Petersburg bypass during our trips. I tend to hit Richmond about Noon to 1 pm both ways on our trip. It could be we have just been Lucky but worst trip had us go thru Richmond at like 30 mph. So it hasn't been all that bad for us. I will add Richmond is about Midway (@ 150) miles during our travel day based on distance from our home and Carolina Crossroads ( our go to stop day 1 going and last night returning) so even if I don't on the road before 10 am I should be okay.

Thanks Mike. Last time we were headed North we went 95 through Richmond. Traffic was heavy but I don't remember the ceiling shaking down.

We used to live about 30 minutes west of Baltimore Mike. Straight down I-70.
The wedding is in Frederick, We're staying in Millersville KOA.

My last trip on 295 Northbound was 3 years ago and before I64 from Williamsburg was like towing a bucking bull. The frost heaves where bad enough to toss things off shelves and make me wonder if I broke a spring shackle. So past few trips we been going through Richmond to avoid it. Before those heaves 295 was my preferred route, southbound is nowhere near as bad, sorry I don't have any more recent reports since we been avoiding it the past few years.

Millersville KOA was is a good choice, close to Annapolis. I would have suggested Greenville Farm Campground, but that is a bike ride from my house ;) and an hour or so from Frederick up 15.

Thanks, It's been longer for me and you described 295 pretty well. Family in Annapolis, friends in Eldersburg, my wife has some family in Glen Burnie so Millersville was pretty close to everything after the wedding.

You can get off 95 at 17....take that to 15 and then take 15 straight into Frederick. It's not a highway and adds a bit of time but not a huge amount.

@jbrostek family on my dad's side is from Point of Rocks. Going way back before the civil war they were in Lucketts, Taylorstown, and Lovettsville so I'm very familiar with the area.

I almost bought a home on 5 acre in Taylorstown, issue was internet. Fios and comcast stopped 1.5 miles before the address and I need solid internet for my job and ended up in Round Hill. A good friend lives in PoR who we usually camp with, I love being down here in Haymarket, really since this whole area is developed and non sub devidable, I at least know my neighborhood wont become mcmansionville.

My great grandfather built his house in PoR and it's still there. On 28, three over from the MARC parking entrance. Almost across the street from the station. Nobody cares but me I'm sure but it does bring back memories.

My buddie lives up Ballenger Creek Pike next to the community center and another friend lives up in the newer development on the north side of town.

I love the old victorian up the hill on Clay (28), that house on a 5 acre lot with a nice pole barn big enough for the RV and toys and I may be in heaven. I love older homes like that, though a mid 90's take on a colonial is doing us well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter