• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone camped with a PU?

disny4fun

Mouseketeer
We have just purchased our PU and are now planning a trip to WDW for Nov/Dec 2003. Has anyone else camped with a PU?

Is a PU a pick-up or a pop-up? Growing up, a pop-up is all my family used. We used it at least 12 times at FW. Do you have any other questions? :cool:

You should have no problem. We have camped in a pop up for many years. Only had a problem once and that was in a torrential rainstorm that lasted most of the weekend. (an older camper too!) When are you going? We will be there November-December also.

We love our pop up. Have been in it through many rains, even a tornado, not a problem. There have been no leaks, and it's so much nicer than our tent... WE leave in 56 more days with our pop-up. This will be our 2n trip to FW with it. The only thing we have found that we don't have room for, is our luggage, so we keep all of that in our van, and get our clothes out the night before. We, however, have 6 people in the pop-up. There is plenty of room, but just not to put our big suitcases when we are at Disney... Oh, one thing we learned in the rain. If you have an awning, be sure to slant it so the water runs off, and does not weight it down... You'll have a great time...

I have some friends that camp in the PU all the time at FW. They took a 20x30 tarp and cut a hole in the top for the AC unit and stretch it over the top of the unit before the extend it. It keeps the PU completely dry and no pollin from the trees hit the unit. It makes the clean up real easy for them.

My first trip to WDW was with my best friend's family in high school in a pop-up. There were 7 of us in there (it was a family of 4 girls, plus me and the parents), and we had a blast. DH and I have our own pop-up now and hope to camp at WDW some time.

If you have a big family and are worried about space, bring along a tent that's easy to put up. You can keep your suitcases in there. Clothes take up a lot of space, even though you don't use them very often, so that's a good way to clear a lot of space.

When we camped on the weekend on the 13th it rained quite well and for an exteded period. We didn't get any leaks, but our matressess were wet where they touched the canvas on the bunkends. Is there anyway to keep that from happening?

Canvas does that when it is touched. Either you can keep your hands off the sides of the PU or try the large tarp that I suggested earlier. It will keep the rain off the sides of the camper and then off your beds.

Originally posted by disny4fun
When we camped on the weekend on the 13th it rained quite well and for an exteded period. We didn't get any leaks, but our matressess were wet where they touched the canvas on the bunkends. Is there anyway to keep that from happening?

Modern tenting materials (it is really not true canvas) on pop up campers will not "wick" if you touch it. I have spent a lot of time in mine in the rain and I can touch the tenting all day long with no moisture getting in.;)

The moisture you are finding is more probably condensation.

Try keeping a small area of 1 window open to allow an exchange of air.

We've camped in both tents and a pop-up at FW, and it's still my kids' favorite experience at Disney --even over staying in the hotels! We usually camp over our New England February school vacation. DH teaches HS so our options are limited.

How old is your pop-up? If it's a little older, it could have real canvas that is bringing water in on contact. You could have it replaced with a more modern material, but that isn't cheap.

If it's new, then you're having a condensation problem. In addition to cracking a window, try to reduce the amount of water you release into the pop-up. Don't boil water in it. If you have a shower, you may want to consider not using it when it's really humid, or at least opening the windows afterward to let the pop-up dry out. Most condensation will accumulate on the top part of the bunk ends and drop down as it gets heavy, creating the illusion that it's raining in your pop-up.

Good luck! I live in the land of high humidity, and we struggle with keeping our pop-up dry. We've basically stopped using water inside it when it's humid.

It's a 99 starcraft. When we got home we pulled the matress our and it's standing up in my house. We let everything air dry real well and then folded it down until next week. We are going again for the weekend then! I cannot wait.'

I just wanted to know because when we go to WDW it will be the week after Thanksgiving next year and it will be alot longer than a weekend. If I'm lucky, I'm going to try to save to go for 10 days!

I will try everyone suggestions to see what the problem might be, this will give un ample time to learn to use it and care for it BEFORE our big trip!

I have to agree with Kermit and Tim that what you have sounds like a condensation problem.

We have a 2000 Viking (PU) and we camp regularly with my SIL who has a 1995 Jayco(also a PU). We are more for the "open air" experience and keep parts of our tenting unzipped at all times. (even when raining we keep the parts protected under the awning unzipped a bit.) We also have small clip on fans at each bunk end that we keep on most all the time. (either turned to pull air into the camper or turned to suck air out of the camper.) These keep air moving all the time. We have never had a condensation problem.

My SIL however likes things zipped up tight and has experienced similar problems to what you mentioned. You would be surprised how much heat you give off while sleeping under those bunk tents. With no air circulation and no open "window" there is no place for it to go. Your camper gets damp feeling in a hurry, and it isn't long before the moisture builds up to a drip.

Good luck working the kinks out and have a great time at FW. (go for the 10 days!!! With the discounts they are giving it is almost like staying for free!)

- lori

We're just in the planning stages now. We will be going next year - 2003. Tell me - if I book this far in advance will I get todays rate or do I need to wait to book when it's closer to the trip?

You'll get a rate that they would use right now, but it won't be locked in until the 2003 rates are released. I think that most of the time they give you this year's regular season rate, regardless of what season you'll be camping in. Then when they release the dates and rates for each season later this fall, your rate will get locked in. Does that make sense?

Even in regular tents, it's a good idea to open some airflow if possible, lowers the condensation.

Even in very cold weather, you need to leave something unzipped or else you will be colder with all of your breathing condensation water getting cold.

Do you have any other tip for camping with a pop up at disney? Have you ever worried about you leaving your stuff.

We have never had any problems with leaving things in our popup.We do pull the step up to lock the door but even when we tent camped there was never a problem.

Originally posted by disny4fun
We have just purchased our PU and are now planning a trip to WDW for Nov/Dec 2003. Has anyone else camped with a PU?

We camped in our popup for 10 days at Fort Wilderness in December of 2000. We had a ball! Make sure that you ask to be as near as possible to the comfort station. We were right next to it in the 1600 loop and even had a little path through the trees and bushes that put us only seconds away. Also ask to be near the bus stop or you could have quite a walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter