• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone else heard this re: Eisner|?

LOVETHATMOUSE

DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>*~*Some LOVE from
My friend said she heard (I can't remember where) that Eisner will be "stepping down" and Roy Disney will now take over. Seems he is upset with how things have been going (haven't we all) and thinks things should get back to what Walt wanted.

What do you think if this is right?

If its right? I think Roy is a heck of a lot older man then Mike which means he wouldn't be in charge for long. I also think that Roy isn't exactly the most Theme Park Ra Ra guy around (although as far as the Animation department goes it would be good.)

First off, "we all" aren't that upset about "how things are going". Next, Roy is old, has no desire to come into the fray full time and has publicly voiced his (and the Boards) overwhelming approval of Eisner...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Hey - I wasn't implying this was the best idea, but just a rumor I heard. Isn't what this board is about - Rumors? I just wanted to know if anyone else heard this.

I was only opining...I see that I sounded a bit gruff, it was unintended & I'm sorry.

Wasn't Roy replaced because he was an ineffective CEO, and that is how Ei$ner got in in the first place ? Than the Bass brothers bought a lot of stock and controled Ei$ner to over develope the land in to a huge over populated, over capacity, hotel metropolois ??? Now that the Bass brothers are out, they left Ei$ner swinging in the wind not knowing what to do next......

Actually Dave, Roy was the integral person in bringing Eisner on board. He has always supported him & supports him still. Sorry to the naysayers, but Eisnr's in until he no longer wishes to be...

Actually, Roy Disney was intimately involved with bringing Frank Wells into The Company. Michael Eisner was somewhat an afterthought as far as the takeover was concerned. Besides, Roy enjoyed being on his yacht much more than being a front man for the company.

Roy will occasionally say a nice thing about Michael, but there relationship is not what one calls “close”. Again, Roy enjoys his boats and really doesn’t get involved with the all that business stuff these days. And Roy isn’t the one that Michael is worried about.

Anyone notice that Sharon Disney has been absent from all of The Company’s celebrations of her father’s 100th birthday? I guess she has other meetings to attend.

AV- I've been posting on the Dis for a little over a year now, but am fairly new to the Rumors/News board, so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered. What do we know about Ms. Disney's feelings regarding the current state and direction of the company?

Thanks...

Anyone notice that Sharon Disney has been absent from all of The Company’s celebrations of her father’s 100th birthday? I guess she has other meetings to attend.
I wish I knew a fly on the wall in those "other meetings'. I've heard rumblings on another site that she....

Well, not sure what really. Sort of like an AV post sometimes. ;) But there are rumblings!!

Ok....the first post had my interest, but as I read through and got to AV and LanBaron's post, it began me salivating. I would like to know more....I want to know more...I NEED to know more!!!!

Oh sorry...but either way, if there is a bone that could be thrown to a young dog like me, I would gladly take the bone and bury it so nobody else can find it!!! :D

Panthius

Oh great! Bring back Ron Miller...Yeah, that's the ticket!:(

Now what is this supposed to mean? Is it just an attempt at humor? I read this and Landbaron's post, and then replied to this myself, not knowing the truth about Sharon Disney Lund(who has moved on from this existance in 1993). If there is something other to this, then I am definitely curious, but if this was just a light-hearted comment, then disregard my ignorance.

Panthius

:confused:

I'm also pretty sure Sharon Disney Lund died in 1993. It's sort of odd to imply anything otherwise.

-J.

First off, I did make an error. I meant to write about Diane Disney Miller. Sorry, in the late Friday night post when all I head intended to do was to check my e-mail, I got the daughters wrong by mistake. I try to be as accurate as possible (well, as far as rumors go), and I wasn’t this time.

An interesting dynamic is occurring. Lillian Disney gave the city of Los Angeles over $50 million to build the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown. The projects was mired in the usual city squabbling for years. After the passing of Mrs. Disney, the project more or less ended up in the lap of Diane. People have been commenting that through the efforts to get the Concert Hall moving again, Diane has begun to assume the mantle of “Disney” and as guardian of the memory of her father.

She was never a very public person before, but over the last eighteen months or so she has become very visible. At first it was in support of the Hall, but it’s grown beyond that now. Even before all the corporate marketing hype about the 100th Birthday of Walt, she had begun to speak about her father and make some pointed remarks about the current state of “his company”.

In one interview, she talked about the day her father took her to Disneyland to see the opening of the Materhorn. She talked about how excited she was, much like children of today are to see Disneyland. And she spoke about how “magical” (her words, by the way) the Materhorn mountain looked, much more magical then something like a giant Ferris wheel. Now these comments were made the week after California Adventure opened; a place who’s prominent landmark is a giant Ferris wheel. Everyone in the company knew what she meant.

It should also be mentioned that Diane represents the “Walt” side of the family. Her husband, Ron Miller, and the her side of the family was forced out in the Roy E. Disney orchestrated take-over of the company. Relations between the two sides have never been all that warm (even in the later Walt & Roy days), and a far amount of snipping always occurs. By the way, you’ll notice there aren’t any of Walt’s personal belongings on display at the anniversary exhibit at WDW. The family refused permission, so Marketing made do with company-owned items.

The last interesting piece is the current financial situation. With the passing of Lillian and Sharon, most of the “Walt” stock is now concentrated with the Miller family. And in the recent weeks, both the Bass Brothers were forced to sell and all of the large institutional investors have sold off their stock. That leaves Diane controlling a massive and powerful block of stock. And she sits on the Board as well.

So, you have a big powerful stockholder with family ties to the company, you have an ineffective current management in a five-year downturn, you have a lot of institutional investors upset that the stock isn’t moving, and you have a lot of people around Hollywood talking openly about “what they’d do with Disney”. The exact same situation that Roy (before that only referred to as “the idiot nephew) all those years ago.

Oh, and there are a lot, A LOT, of rumors about goings on behind the scenes…

Diane seems to have age going against her like Roy E. does, and I haven't heard much about her children and their business interest or acumen, but I'm wondering...do they have any interesting family friends?

What the heck could Diane Disney know about running anything? A daughter of Walt, born with a silver spoon, married to the guy two almost took Disney into the real Twighlight Zone & older than Muthusla...Excuse me for saying so, but Diane Disney speaks sour grapes, as evidenced by the petty refusal for the use of Walt's personal items for a tribute, of all things.

At least Roy knows business...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter