Has Anyone Ever Encountered Theft or any type of Crime...

brunette8706

DIS Veteran
When you are vacationing at Walt Disney World, have you ever encountered any type of theft or crime? Just curious. I never have heard anyone say that they have, but who knows. I, personally have never encountered this, to the contrare. Just curious if anyone else has.

Thanks All!

Brunette

I had a friend whose family went to the parks while they waited for check in time. They had an rv parked in one of the lots by check-in. (I think it was the campground.) Anyways, someone broke in and stole some of their stuff including cash and a purse they had hidden in the vehicle. They also took a debit card and managed to clean out the checking account. (Not sure how they got the pin?) Their bank actually covered that loss for them.
:sad1:

Personally we have never had a problem.
:thumbsup2

We stayed at the Contemporary and someone stole a case with prescription and over the counter meds and the management there could not have care less. We should have called the police.
Bob

It hasn't happened to me, but it happens.

A couple weeks ago they mentioned on the DIS podcast that someone at an ATM was robbed in the middle of the day in a hotel lobby. Not a Disney hotel, but close enough.

A good reminder for us to not let our guard down while at Disney.

I'm a criminal, so I witness crime all of the time, my own. I commit all kinds, just because I go on vacation, doesn't mean I vacation from commiting crimes. How else am I going to pay for my vacation???? :confused3

Just joking! :rotfl2:

Seriously though, criminals do take vacations some of them even to WDW.

Hardly a crime worth reporting but someone took my yellow lei off of our stroller outside of nemo and friends and it took us quite a while to find our stroller :rotfl:

Hardly a crime worth reporting but someone took my yellow lei off of our stroller outside of nemo and friends and it took us quite a while to find our stroller :rotfl:

haha, was that your lei? I thought it was mine and saw it on your stroller and just knew it was the same one

LMAO. jk obviously

We have never experienced any theft at Disney, thankfully. But I am sure to not bring anything that isnt replaceable.

I had my coat stolen at Epcot. Sucked too because it was December and cold and damp. Had to buy a Christmas Mickey fleece jacket ($46), still froze at Candlelight Processional, so I bought a Donald Duck hoodie ($63) to wear under it. $109 I was not planning on spending :( But I love my jackets and wore them through two winters so far. Last winter I never wore a coat at all, just layered my jackets.

Unfortunately bad things even happen at Disney, you may not hear about the bad stuff as often, but things can and do happen .At Pop ,I have seen people complaining that money they left out in the open was missing after they came back from the parks, I have also heard several people claim their GPS was stolen out of their cars.Nothing ever to me, but I treat Disney like any other place and secure or leave my valubles at home.

I paid to see Hoop Dee Doo.

But seriously, just a few days ago on this board, I read a post about someone getting cash stolen out of their purse while (I think they said) waiting at the resort for the ME to take them back to the airport. And I googled "crime at WDW" and read things about cars getting broken into. Things could be worse....I hear from posters about the crime in Anaheim at DL. Could you imagine exiting the park (tired but happy) and having to deal with your car being busted up. :eek:

I've never had anything stolen or seen any crime at Disney World although I did have two occasions when I could have really had problems. A few years ago, I walked away from having a snack and left my video camera bag (a huge one back then) sitting on the floor. It was a busy place too. I didn't even realize it until we were on the way towards the exit of the park. My husband ran back and it was still sitting there.

And the other time was really bad. I had opened my car door in the Swan parking lot to get some things out. I got everything out and walked away with my husband to the hotel. We came out four hours later and my car door was still standing wide open! We had a laptop and cell phones in clear view in the back.

I read a report on line last year about a couple abducted from Downtown disney parking lot --taken to an ATM -forced to draw out money and robbed of other valuables they had on them. I think it was in the Orlando Sentinel paper.So just because you are in the world of magic doesn't mean you're completely safe. People are out there preying on tourists everywhere. It wasn't that long ago that they rented cars in FLA. w/ license plates that said "rental" on them . It was an advertisement to criminals--"Hey come rob me --I not from around here". Now they have regular plates--but they still have that little BAR code sticker on one of the windows--a sure giveaway it's a rental.

I believe there was a followup to that story which said the whole thing was made up, someone got ripped off on a drug deal.

Once at Universal (I know not WDW) a greedy squirrel made of with our french fries as soon as we put them on a stroller.

Another time, birds stole our Popcorn.

Don't leave food on top of a stroller in plain sight!

Those are the only thefts I've had. Once in the 70's I had a pocketbook turned in - with all it's contents. More recently, my cell phone came out of a back pocket. The next person riding called DH as soon as he got off the ride. (last number called) I was standing right in front of him as he called- we had a good laugh - as DH was describing me while I was stainding in front of him!

A couple of years ago a friend of mine went into the restroom in Fantasyland, took off her fanny pack, did her thing, washed her hands and left. About a half hour later she realized she forgot to put her fanny pack back on, ran back and it was gone. It contained all their money (close to a thousand dollars), credit cards, park passes (room keys), her ID etc. Yes, she's blonde ;) but it was never turned into lost and found. Does that count as stealing???

About a half hour later she realized she forgot to put her fanny pack back on, ran back and it was gone.
Does that count as stealing???

Yes, stealing.
But, with an "assist" by the owner of the goods.
;)

I read a report on line last year about a couple abducted from Downtown disney parking lot --taken to an ATM -forced to draw out money and robbed of other valuables they had on them.

I believe there was a followup to that story which said the whole thing was made up, someone got ripped off on a drug deal.

Correct.
The whole story fell apart after police questioning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter