has anyone split there stay to 2 days at studio and 5 at 1 bdrm

mickeyinjune

Mouseketeer
to save on points has anyone stayed the 2 weekend nights in a studio then moved to a 1 bdrm for the rest of the week? is this hard to do?

That is often done and is no problem. Moving can be a nuisance and you may be "homeless" for a few hours, so have some activities planned in case.

I'd let the desk know you will be changing rooms and would appreciate any consideration to get into the 1BR as early as possible. I would do this a couple of days before and again the day of......and discuss it with a BIG smile on your face! :D

Good Luck!

Doc's answer pretty much says it. It works but can be a bit of a nuisance. Last year, (and doing it again this year), we stayed in a studio for New Year's Eve. (Points are extremely high, it's both high season and a weekend, for New Year's, but drop dramatically in January going to low season. That's when we move to the 1-BR. Just plan for it and you'll be OK.

A good idea but please keep in mind that moving does sometimes impact you negatively. We noticed it more....moving from old Dixie Landings to VWL and another time to OKW mainly because we had little ones that needed a nap. We got late check-out from DL and got into VWL around 2:00 pm. OKW was more like 4:00 pm. It is a good way to save points but this October we are biting the bullet and spending 3 weekend nights of a 9 night stay at OKW in the same accomodations the entire time. We just don't want to bother moving.

I had some points that were going to expire by the end of July. Since it was too late to bank them (use-year is August) I made reservations for my in-laws, who were going to WDW that month. I had just enough points for 2 nights in a 1 BR and 1 night in a studio at VWL. They could have done 5 nights in a studio, but preferred the 1 BR. I did not have enough points for 3 nights in a 1 BR, so they took one night in the studio.

They told me there was no problem handling the reservation that way and they thoroughly enjoyed the stay at VWL.

I did something like that this year. I did 3 nights in a studio then switched to a 1BR for 7 nights at the BWV.

It's not "hard" but it can be a pain. I say that cause I still had to wait until 4 to actually get the room. Funny thing was I "checked out" around 6:45 on my way to get coffee from the Belle Vue. So I natrually "assumed" I'd get into the new room earlier; NOT!! Luckly for us, that was a busy day for us so we did have things to do while we waited.

We did something like that last year. My husband and I went to WDW a day earlier than my sister and her family. So, our first night (a Saturday night) we stayed in a studio at OKW. Then, we moved into a 2 BR at OKW the next day when my sister and her family joined us. Then, my sister's family left on Friday, and DH and I moved to a studio at BWV for 2 nights.

We did it primarily because we didn't want to have more accommodations than we'd need, but also to save points. The first day's move was not a hassle at all, as we barely even unpacked. We were even able to get into our 2 BR a little early (2:00 p.m.).

However, on the second move, we left the room pretty early due to plans for breakfast, and by the time 4:00 rolled around, we were completley exhausted and needed a break. I checked us in shortly after lunch, but no rooms were available for a while (and we weren't expecting our room to be available - just hoping). I think that we spent a few hours dozing in the BW lobby, because we literally had no energy to do anything else.

If we had kids at the time, we wouldn't have been able to switch rooms and be "homeless" like that.

I did this last year, and I didn't mind it. Next year, I'll be in a studio for a week, then DH will join me. We'll switch to a 1bedrm for a week. Then after he's gone, I'll be back in a studio. This way, I can stretch out my points! And I get to enjoy both types of rooms. :D
I pack a collapsible cooler in my luggage. I place any perishables in there between moves.

We are trying this for the first time this October. However, we are going the opposite direction. My in-laws will be joining us right at the beginning so we'll be in a 2 bedroom. They leave mid-week, so we'll be changing to a studio for the remainder of our stay because it's just the two of us.

I hope I don't get too spoiled by the 2 bedroom! It will make it hard to downsize to the studio!:)

Kelly

Kelly and John,
You WILL be spoiled! I don't even bother with a studio any more. In January, however, we are starting in a 2 bedroom for 5 nights and then a 1 bedroom for 5 nights. We needed to do it this way because we had used points for a Hawaii exchange, so didn't have enough for 10 nights in a 2 bedroom. I had the ressies linked and asked for a 2bedroom lock off so we could stay in the 1 bedroom portion. They have assured me I won't have to move, but I must say, I am nervous about that.

We've only stayed in a studio so far. We've been to BWV and OKW.

Once John sees the size of the two bedroom, I'll never get him to agree to stay in a studio again!

Kelly

We do this just about every time as I did an add-on at BWV that covers Fri/Sat in a studio during magic season. The moving part isn't hard for my Wife and Son(other then packing) because I send them to the parks and make the move alone. It ties up my day but not theirs. I join them after I have dropped the luggage at bell services. I do this same thing when returning or getting a rental car for day trips or airport transportation. I get the car while they play. You can drop cars at some hotels near DTD. Why waste all of our time when 1 can do the job?......spruce

Ms. WDW - you must have peeked at my vacation plan. We're doing 3 days in the studio and 7 in 1br next summer.

My main reason for this arrangement is that DW prefers to lump all our park hopping together and just chill the rest of the trip. So, we'll get a LOS/UMP/???, whatever they're called this week, for four days and then switch rooms. So we'll be at the parks the whole day and leave our bags with the bellman to put in our room once it's ready and simply pick up the key when we get back to BWV.

I've never done that, but what I have done is paid cash for the weekend nights(with the more expensive point count)and used points for the cheaper weekday nights. They say they can make you change rooms if you do this, but we've done it several times and never had to switch. Also, when you pay cash, you gt a DVC member discount, which is better still!:D

Last year, DH and I stayed at BWV in a studio for 2 days and then moved to a 2BR at OKW for 7 days.

They would have moved our luggage over for us, but we decided to take a cab to OKW with our belongings...cost us $5.00.

This is also a very easy way to move about the different properties.

June

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter