Has anyone used Tauck Bridges?

Techtravler

Mouseketeer
Has anyone used Tauck Bridges, especially for Costa Rica? The itinarary looks very similar to ABD, but it is $3,000 less and 1 more night for 3 of us. What I have read online looks good so far, but I have not found enough info yet.

If you do a search there are a couple of older threads about this same topic.
There was little personal experience -but lots of people had heard good things.

Also Travel and leisure magazine had them on their top 20 list of group tour organizers

If you do a search there are a couple of older threads about this same topic.
There was little personal experience -but lots of people had heard good things.

Also Travel and leisure magazine had them on their top 20 list of group tour organizers

Yeah I saw the older threads, but still looking for some better personal experince.

Thanks

I'm interested as well. Checked the tripadvisor website as well and there was a little discussion but not really what I wanted to know. I really want to know about Tauck Bridges, not Tauck, because I want to understand what their family tours are like. I know the company has a great reputatiation, but doing a great adult only tour doesn't necessarily translate into doing a good family tour.
If anyone has seen any threads or blogs outside the disboard, please post them here for us.
Thanks!

am still looking for any info on Tauck Bridges. I have found a little bit here and there, but no actual trip reports and anything with detail. Always positive what I have read so far though. Come on ABD, give us those EBD so we do not even need to look at the others.

I've been looking for trip reviews too and haven't really found anything except a lot of short positive comments. I can understand that though since my typical review of our vacations is that they were "fantastic" or "'awesome" or something similar. I'm researching too and at this point would feel comfortable with Tauck Bridges, Austin Lehman, or Thomson Family Adventures. Techtraveler, one thing about the Tauck Bridges and the Thomson Costa Rica trips is that they go to Tortuguero where the sea turtles are, which ABD doesn't do. If you decide on one of their trips, you might want to find out the months when the sea turtles nest. That is something I wish we had seen when we were in Costa Rica. Austin Lehman was ranked #1 tour operator by Travel & Leisure. maremch - where are you interested in traveling next year? I've decided that, since there are so many places we want to visit, we are going to be open about location and wait and see what comes up. Between all the possible locations and the different touring companies, I think it's likely that at some point we'll get a discount.

I've been looking for trip reviews too and haven't really found anything except a lot of short positive comments. I can understand that though since my typical review of our vacations is that they were "fantastic" or "'awesome" or something similar. I'm researching too and at this point would feel comfortable with Tauck Bridges, Austin Lehman, or Thomson Family Adventures. Techtraveler, one thing about the Tauck Bridges and the Thomson Costa Rica trips is that they go to Tortuguero where the sea turtles are, which ABD doesn't do. If you decide on one of their trips, you might want to find out the months when the sea turtles nest. That is something I wish we had seen when we were in Costa Rica. Austin Lehman was ranked #1 tour operator by Travel & Leisure. maremch - where are you interested in traveling next year? I've decided that, since there are so many places we want to visit, we are going to be open about location and wait and see what comes up. Between all the possible locations and the different touring companies, I think it's likely that at some point we'll get a discount.

I don't have a precise location of where I'd like to go -my criteria are: 1. Hopefully somewhere I haven't been. I traveled a bit before I adopted my daughter 9 years ago. 2. Somewhere not too hot when we need to travel based on my work schedule (which will likely be July/Aug) 3. Perhaps something a little different from what we did this year, in other words, maybe not a Western US National Park trip, as that will be similar to Alaska from my daughter's perspective, 4. A trip more active than our Alaska trip. 5. Family travel tour, of course. 6. Price - I just am not sure I want to drop over $7000 BEFORE airfare for the two of us. So I'm considering Ireland and Costa Rica, (which I understand isn't much hotter in July/Aug than it is other times of the year??)
I'd love to see some options to northern Europe, but not alot there from any family travel companies. Did you look into Wildland Adventures Bobo912?
Rick Steves has family tours too, but I think they might not focus much on kid activities and I think you lug your own luggage (which I really don't like). I don't care about the airport pickup that much, although it's nice, but I really don't like dealing with luggage in smaller European hotels with no elevators! Been there, done that, don't care to do it again!

I don't have a precise location of where I'd like to go -my criteria are: 1. Hopefully somewhere I haven't been. I traveled a bit before I adopted my daughter 9 years ago. 2. Somewhere not too hot when we need to travel based on my work schedule (which will likely be July/Aug) 3. Perhaps something a little different from what we did this year, in other words, maybe not a Western US National Park trip, as that will be similar to Alaska from my daughter's perspective, 4. A trip more active than our Alaska trip. 5. Family travel tour, of course. 6. Price - I just am not sure I want to drop over $7000 BEFORE airfare for the two of us. So I'm considering Ireland and Costa Rica, (which I understand isn't much hotter in July/Aug than it is other times of the year??)
I'd love to see some options to northern Europe, but not alot there from any family travel companies. Did you look into Wildland Adventures Bobo912? I haven't checked out Techtraveler.
Rick Steves has family tours too, but I think they might not focus much on kid activities and I think you lug your own luggage (which I really don't like). I don't care about the airport pickup that much, although it's nice, but I really don't like dealing with luggage in smaller European hotels with no elevators! Been there, done that, don't care to do it again!

I saw Wildland mentioned on Trip Advisor and checked out their website. They have lots of great locations and I read some positive comments from travelers on Trip Advisor. But other than that I don't know anything about them. Another company I looked at was REI Adventures. They have a lot of great itineraries. Their trips appear to be very active - maybe too active for my DS. He loves things like rafting and zip-lining, but has his limits when hiking is involved. There are so many companies out there that have similar itineraries and at first glance they all look great. Traveling alone with a 9-year-old, I've got to have a lot of confidence in the tour company I select, which makes it difficult. I know you have the same situation, marcemch. When DS is a few years older, I think it will be a little easier. If you can be somewhat flexible with your destination and dates, chances are ABD will offer some sort of deal. They have every year so far. And unless people are rushing to book these no-EBD trips for 2010, I would expect to see the same at some point. Since I don't clean up my Inbox very often, I was able to go back and find emails from ABD (or Disney Rewards Visa) in Sept and Dec last year with discounted trips. And I got an email in May of 2008 with discounts that prompted me to book our Costa Rica ABD trip for July that year. If ABD doesn't offer something, I think Tauck or one of the other companies will.

Hopefully, anyone who gets an email about discounts will post it on the disboards! I don't have a Disney Rewards VISA - maybe I should get one just in case?
I think I will take your advice, and hopefully ABD or Tauck will offer some discounts for a trip that we'd enjoy in the times we would be traveling. In your emails for 2009 trip discounts, were any of them offered during peak summer travel times?
Although by nature I'm a "plan ahead" kind of person, I think with the prices this year and no EBD, I'll have to try the "wing it" side of my personality. Maybe by then, we'll even have some feedback from folks who have done ABD and Taucks tours for comparative purposes.

Hopefully, anyone who gets an email about discounts will post it on the disboards! I don't have a Disney Rewards VISA - maybe I should get one just in case?
I think I will take your advice, and hopefully ABD or Tauck will offer some discounts for a trip that we'd enjoy in the times we would be traveling. In your emails for 2009 trip discounts, were any of them offered during peak summer travel times?
Although by nature I'm a "plan ahead" kind of person, I think with the prices this year and no EBD, I'll have to try the "wing it" side of my personality. Maybe by then, we'll even have some feedback from folks who have done ABD and Taucks tours for comparative purposes.

The $500 off airfare offer last year was on trips from late July through Dec 2009. The offer we had in 2008 was for the same amount as EBD (even though we were within 90 days of our departure date) and I think it was offered on 5 different itineraries. Our Costa Rica trip had a departure date of July 27 and I know there were at least two more dates in August. Looking through my old email, I received some in Dec and Jan for the 2009 trips. One thing I did notice was that when I received an offer from Disney Visa, I also received an email with the same offer from ABD a few weeks later. Just like WDW discounts. So you don't really need a Disney Visa. But it is nice to have the 0% financing for 6 months. I wouldn't put it off too long if you decide that a particulat itinerary or date is really important to you. I can wait until just about the last minute to request time off from work, so my only restriction is that school be out. So I have a lot of flexibility.

I called Tauck Bridges and ABD today and got quotes from both of them on each one's Costa Rica trips around the same dates next summer.

Taucks trip will run $6592.00 with Insurance for 3 of us.

ABD will run $11,072 including insurance and tips.

$4,500 is a big difference, and Tauck is actually 1 night longer. Since Tauck flys into Liberia and out San Jose the airfare will run a bit more, but only about $200PP

The one thing I think that Tauck does not do like Disney is treat the group as a whole. All the Disney reviews talk strongly about the other travelers, but with Tauck Bridges you have options about what to do each day, so the group does not stay together at all times. The Rep told me you do not even have to eat at the same time as others.

TT

We have been on a Tauck Bridges tour. We loved it but don't really have anything to compare it too. (Our children have been on Elderhostel tours with their grandparents, but those are very different -- generally staying in one place.)

We did Yellowstone etc with Tauck Bridges and it was great. Some meals and activities were together, other times we were "on our own." This was nice because you could eat dinner (for example) early if you wanted to or later. The guide would make reservations for you.

We were skeptical but ended up loving it.

We have been on a Tauck Bridges tour. We loved it but don't really have anything to compare it too. (Our children have been on Elderhostel tours with their grandparents, but those are very different -- generally staying in one place.)

We did Yellowstone etc with Tauck Bridges and it was great. Some meals and activities were together, other times we were "on our own." This was nice because you could eat dinner (for example) early if you wanted to or later. The guide would make reservations for you.

We were skeptical but ended up loving it.

Were most things done as a group activity or were the excursions done with people not on your Tauck Tour? It seems after reading about both, Disney really creates a group that bonds together and Tauck puts a nice itinerary together for you.

Most things were done as a group . For example, when we were at the Dude Ranch, there were a variety of activities that you could choose from, though everyone who was going horseback riding went to the stables at the same time, after horseback riding some fished, swam, etc. Dinner was together that evening.

In Cody, I think we all went to the museum that afternoon, had dinner together and went to the rodeo together. Then, the next morning, some went back to the museum, others went hiking, shopping etc.

Major sightseeing was done together. I just looked at my notes and 4 out of 7 dinners were together and the other three dinners were at the Lodges and people arranged to meet and eat together if they choose to. (We had the youngest child on the tour, so we often ate earlier than others.)

I think it was the right amount of "family time" vs "group time." I would certainly say that we were on a group tour. We loved our group but we also loved just eating dinner with our family. We had a nice group, at all the group meals but the welcome dinner the kids all sat together. We enjoyed the adults and keep in touch with one family.

My In-Laws use Tauck (adult) all the time and have made several new friendships through the years. I think a lot of it is what you are looking for. While we enjoyed the people tremendously, we were there for the itinerary. The fact that our group was so great was a nice bonus.

It also looks like Tauck includes 19 meals in Costa Rica and ABD includes only 15. You got me curious and I looked the trip. Something we might have to consider for Spring Break!

I talked to my travel agent that I use for Disney Cruises and they had very good things to say about Tauck as a company. They said they have only booked one Tauck Bridges, but thought Tauck would be an upgrade from Disney.

This is coming from a agency that books a great deal of Disney cruises and has been on ABD trips themselves

TT.

I talked to my travel agent that I use for Disney Cruises and they had very good things to say about Tauck as a company. They said they have only booked one Tauck Bridges, but thought Tauck would be an upgrade from Disney.

This is coming from a agency that books a great deal of Disney cruises and has been on ABD trips themselves

TT.

Wow - there's a blow to the Disney marketing folks who got rid of the EBD to presumably position themselves more competitively with the likes of Tauck and A-L??

Any feedback on why they think it's an upgrade? Hotels?

lastminutemom - I was wondering about Tauck tours and the special touches that we ABD vetrans like about ABD. For instance, the "extras" and surprises - were there things that happened that weren't expected that made the trip even more special? Or unique cultural experiences or activities fashioned just for your group?

I'm also wondering about kids only activities. On ABD trips, they have "Jr. Adventurer" activities and may also gear an aspect of tours or other group activities just for the kids. My 9yr old daughter and I really like this special attention to the kids and enhancing their experience and bonding. And, as a single parent, I have to say that I enjoy a bit of adult only time too. On my Germany trip, the kids even sat together at some group meals, and the guides sat with them, entertaining them, helping them order, and maintaining some level of decorum. They had a ball, and what a nice treat and break for us parents to be nearby but to enjoy a nice glass of wine and adult conversation! Does Tauck do such things as well?

Thanks for your insight!

lastminutemom - I was wondering about Tauck tours and the special touches that we ABD vetrans like about ABD. For instance, the "extras" and surprises - were there things that happened that weren't expected that made the trip even more special? Or unique cultural experiences or activities fashioned just for your group?

I'm also wondering about kids only activities. On ABD trips, they have "Jr. Adventurer" activities and may also gear an aspect of tours or other group activities just for the kids. My 9yr old daughter and I really like this special attention to the kids and enhancing their experience and bonding. And, as a single parent, I have to say that I enjoy a bit of adult only time too. On my Germany trip, the kids even sat together at some group meals, and the guides sat with them, entertaining them, helping them order, and maintaining some level of decorum. They had a ball, and what a nice treat and break for us parents to be nearby but to enjoy a nice glass of wine and adult conversation! Does Tauck do such things as well?

Thanks for your insight!

Yes -- there were unique activities just for our group. For example, the Dude Ranch was just for Tauck guests. (Tauck is a part owner so when there is a Tauck tour (regular or Bridges) only Tauck guests are there. We had special guides at the parks and stopped at locations along the way that were off the beaten track. Our trip was different that ABD as it started (or ended) in Rapid City to see Mt. Rushmore and ended in Jackson.

Yes, at the group meals (after the welcome dinner) the kids did sit together and so did the adults. At breakfast and lunches they often sat together as well.

I can't speak to the specifics of "special" things. I did just look at the equivalent itinerary for the trip we did and they do look very similar. Disney did seem to offer a few more things at night (Disney movies) then Tauck, but because it was summer, many families on our trip ate a late dinner (when we were in the parks) and used the daylight hours to hike, etc. At the Grand Tetons bunches of the kids swam (to cold for the parents). We had a campfire one night, went to the rodeo another night, etc.

There were several single people with a child on our tour (grandmothers and mothers). All seemed to really enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter