Has anyone with motion sickness attempted Guardians while taking meds (dramamine, bonine, etc.?)

Maggie The Cat

Mouseketeer
I don't have extreme motion sickness, but Smugglers Run made me woozy. We plan to take Bonine each night of trip in anticipation of GOTG. (and may attempt Teacups also!)

Anyone with motion sickness who took a med and was able to ride successfully without nausea?

DH gets sick on rides. About 1 1/2 hours before our GOTG time - he went to first aide - they had a dose of meds for purchase. I didn’t go in with him, I gather it was a common anti nausea med. He survived the ride fine.

My husband cannot do Mission Space, FOP, teacups, and has to briefly close his eyes during Remy and Soarin. Did fine with Dramamine and chewing a ginger candy first time we rode (we did ask for first row). The second day we rode twice (several hours apart) and we forgot the Dramamine and ginger candy. He looked at the track and not the screens and did fine, still had fun. He said he wished he had the ginger candy though and would not push it trying to ride a third time in the day.

My DH took Bonine every morning of a 10 day trip. No nausea on any ride inc GotG. He used to get sick on ToT. This trip he did it twice in a row and felt fine. He was fine with Everest, RR. We really did everything with no problems. Before he sat out on Everest.

Can you compare it to another ride? Like it twice as bad as ??? I'm a pretty much a chicken. A big ride to me is thunder mountain. I have been on FOP.

I wanted so much to be able to totally enjoy GoTG, but even with Bonine, it made me very queasy. Had to shut my eyes the last part of the ride to make it through. I have become more prone to vertigo and motion sickness as I gracefully age into my mid 60's. Fortunately Bonine has helped me enjoy many other 'intense' rides FOP, etc.

The ride is awesome, so please at least give it a try if you get the chance. Glad I did it, but now I can get my thrills elsewhere,

I loved GotG despite the fact that it nearly killed me with the nausea. I literally had to cover my mouth the last 10 seconds of the ride to stop the vomit. And that was WITH taking a meclizine the night before I rode.

However I found taking one the night before as usual plus another about an hour prior to riding worked for me.

Thanks for the tips. I rode it back in December, and while I never got sick, I was nausiated and out of commission for most of the day after I rode it. I also had movement sensory issues. We ate at Garden Grill in the evening, and I could feel the restaurant rotate. It was hard to eat. The next day I was fine. It is an swesome ride, so I am going to try dramimine and ginger chews for our trip in December. Wish me luck.

Can you compare it to another ride? Like it twice as bad as ??? I'm a pretty much a chicken. A big ride to me is thunder mountain. I have been on FOP.
It’s smoother than Big Thunder. There are no huge drops. It’s closer to Rock n Roller and Everest in intensity, and mix in flying bobs from other theme parks. There is no going upside down on GotG. This isn’t a ride for a chicken. An adventurous chicken may want to try it once.

I cannot do Mission Space. Remy also makes me feel sick. Mostly screen based stuff but FOP and Soarin’ i am fine.

First time I did guardians I took Dramamine and I was fine. It’s so smooth. The second time I forgot the dramamine and I was still okay. So now I don’t take it anymore.

I took the non-drowsy Dramamine because Forbidden Journey at Universal really got to me and Millennium Falcon gets to me when I try to pilot. I know it’s an issue with movement and screens, so I figured I’d be better off taking something. My first ride I didn’t feel well. I also was in the last row which I think is more intense. By ride #7, I was good if I just look at the track. So I’d suggest the meds, a row closer to the front, and looking at the track or closing your eyes completely.

I don’t ride Big Thunder because I don’t like rough rides or the drop on it. I will ride Slinky Dog. Don’t ride Rock N Roll or Everest either. Guardians is my favorite ride now in all the parks. Very smooth, no big drops. It feels like you are flying in space

It's so interesting to me that this ride affects everyone differently. I absolutely cannot make it through a ride that is mainly screen based. So Soarin', FOP, Star Tours, Mission Space etc...those make me extremely messed up in the head. Coasters however, are my favorite type of ride. I was initially very nervous about riding GOTG for the first time after reading about everyone's experiences because of the screens and the "spinning." I prepared with Bonine the morning of, and had my ginger gum at the ready. To my delight, I was 100% fine with no motion sickness at all! I think like some have mentioned, as long as you mostly focus on the track in front of you and don't move your head too much, you should be fine! It's such an amazing ride and would still be worth it to me even if I got sick. Now Mission space on the other hand...oof

It's so interesting to me that this ride affects everyone differently. I absolutely cannot make it through a ride that is mainly screen based. So Soarin', FOP, Star Tours, Mission Space etc...those make me extremely messed up in the head. Coasters however, are my favorite type of ride. I was initially very nervous about riding GOTG for the first time after reading about everyone's experiences because of the screens and the "spinning." I prepared with Bonine the morning of, and had my ginger gum at the ready. To my delight, I was 100% fine with no motion sickness at all! I think like some have mentioned, as long as you mostly focus on the track in front of you and don't move your head too much, you should be fine! It's such an amazing ride and would still be worth it to me even if I got sick. Now Mission space on the other hand...oof
Exactly what I was gluing to post. Forbidden Journey and The Simpsons get me too. Was 100% ok on Guardians. So weird. I think for me it’s because there are fewer screens and they are so clear.

I haven’t ridden it yet but when I try it, I will definitely be using a trusty scopalamine patch.
Do you keep the patch on for the length of trip and then take it off when leaving Disney? Do you get a side effect from taking it off? I had good luck with Benadryl/Ginger lozenges/Altoids for FOP and peppermint for Remy but I'm really worried about Guardians. I had cancelled a DVC preview because I was fearful but now I'd like to try it. Still nervous though.

Thanks for your advice.

I usually get really motion sick on rides, even in the car if I'm riding in the back seat. I almost didn't go on GotG because going backwards on rides makes me super sick.

I had no issues on Guardians which I was surprised. The difference is that the ride is not free spinning. It is a controlled rotation that the ride uses to enhance the motion instead of "how many times can we spin you around" its, "how can we use the rotation of the vehicles to better serve the experience".

I sat in the front row. Instead of watching the screens, I watched the track in front of me and focused on moving with the rotations of the vehicle. The screens on the ride are meant to be environmental. They add to the ride but are not supposed to be watched.

I have now ridden twice without taking any medication/help at all and had no issues walking off the ride. I also ate a banana each time as we walked through the queue which helped my stomach feel less empty. My Spouse had to sit down afterwards because he was feeling sick and had been watching the screens. 😅

Enjoy the ride! Be prepared and you'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter