Have any Aussie's rented Disney Villas by buying points through a broker?

Dee2015

Mouseketeer
Hi all, hoping you can help please.

I've seen mention of renting Disney Vacation Villa's by purchasing points from Disney Vacation Club members (is that right, have I understood correctly?) and I'd like some advice/information on this please if anyone can help?

It appears to me that these are the two main brokers (from my Google searching that is), is this correct?

http://www.dvcrequest.com/?oid=15_1
http://dvcrentalstore.com/

Is there any risk involved in this process?
Are there any cons?
Is one broker preferred over the other?

Would LOVE to hear from anyone with any advice, assistance or experience. Thank you.

The replies to where you have posted in the DVC section should answer most of your questions.

I would suggest the Rent/trade section if you want to save some money. Some feel safer going through a broker and are happy to pay more. I would suggest if you want to rent DVC points to do it as soon as you can 11 months before the start of your trip.

Regardless if you rent through a broker or direct to the member it is the member who makes the bookings. Availability can be limited the longer you leave the booking.

With the brokers the rooms might be available but there is no guarantee the broker will have a members points available.

Regardless if you rent through a broker or direct to the member it is the member who makes the bookings. Availability can be limited the longer you leave the booking.
QUOTE]

Thanks Colin. You must have just read my mind...I just posted a similar question here http://www.disboards.com/threads/i-need-your-help-please.3505223/#post-55646173

CaliTex said:
I'm new to the DVC points thing also. We have gone through David's for a BWV in December. So far the customer service has been quite good, and the reservation showed up immediately in MDE, so I can arrange the ME, purchase tickets, etc. without the owner's involvement, I believe. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

Is she correct in saying this please?

I've used David's with no problems. Their website was pretty good at explaining everything and how they work - including all the restrictions. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have if something is not in the website.

Thanks ozliz. I find their website easy to use too.

Can I ask please were you able to add your own bits and pieces to your online booking? I ask with little knowledge of what I'm talking about as
I've not yet looked into it but ME, purchase tickets & dining plans have been mentioned. I've got to look up what ME stands for and I have to look into what a dining plan is...lol! Early days but fun!

Thanks ozliz. I find their website easy to use too.

Can I ask please were you able to add your own bits and pieces to your online booking? I ask with little knowledge of what I'm talking about as
I've not yet looked into it but ME, purchase tickets & dining plans have been mentioned. I've got to look up what ME stands for and I have to look into what a dining plan is...lol! Early days but fun!

By ME I would think you mean DME or Disneys Magical Express which is transport from the MCO airport to your resort. Sanford airport is not serviced by DME.

If you need DME you would contact the broker or the renter. You setup your own MDE and then link the DVC booking.

Regardless of who makes the booking the DVC booking is made with yours and other guests names and your address, email phone No. The member or broker forwards you the DVC reservation email and this will provide you the reservation No. which can be linked in MDE

Payment direct to a member can be made by Paypal, brokers I think will accept credit card.

To book DME later you need to supply the fllight No.s, airport codes etc. The member will ask for this.

If renting direct from a member they should supply a contract, avoid them if they do not. I hear very few stories of problems.

If I book the dining plan for a renter I will only do with their credit card No. and expiry etc. My personal opinion would be avoid the dining plan unless you are big eaters, Gratuity is not included in dining plans cost.

After setting up MDE tickets can be bought when you arrive at WDW or can be pre-purchased online and then gives you the ability to book fast passes etc.

By ME I would think you mean DME or Disneys Magical Express which is transport from the MCO airport to your resort. Sanford airport is not serviced by DME.

If you need DME you would contact the broker or the renter. You setup your own MDE and then link the DVC booking.

My personal opinion would be avoid the dining plan unless you are big eaters, Gratuity is not included in dining plans cost.

After setting up MDE tickets can be bought when you arrive at WDW or can be pre-purchased online and then gives you the ability to book fast passes etc.

Thanks again. Did I read somewhere that this shuttle (DME) is free or am I confused with something else?
What is MDE please? I heard I should book the FPs well in advance of arrival - is that correct? Can I still do that if we buy points to use a DVC property?
I will take your advice and avoid the dining plan as we are not big eaters (well at least 3 of us are not ;) ). Thank you Colin. I really appreciate your time!

Thanks again. Did I read somewhere that this shuttle (DME) is free or am I confused with something else?
What is MDE please? I heard I should book the FPs well in advance of arrival - is that correct? Can I still do that if we buy points to use a DVC property?
I will take your advice and avoid the dining plan as we are not big eaters (well at least 3 of us are not ;) ). Thank you Colin. I really appreciate your time!

MDE is My Disney Experience and is setup through the Disney website, this is where you log in and can make dining reservations up to 180 days out plus 10 if you stay on site or and also applies to DVC rooms.

DME is absolutely free!

FP can be made 60 days in advance if you stay on site or 30 days if offsite. I think I have that correct as it is my DW who looks after that. You will need to purchase the tickets before you can make FP. The tickets are activated when you arrive.

I think too many people panic about getting FP, depends on how tight a schedule you are on.

You could always buy annual passes and then you could get TIW cards for dining discounts.

TIW! Oh Colin no more abbreviations please.:duck:We won't be buying annual passes so I'm going to let that one go through to the keeper ;)

If we do not buy our tickets through DW and instead get through a travel agent, does this mean we will not be able to book our FPs prior to arrival?

TIW! Oh Colin no more abbreviations please.

TIW = Tables In Wonderland. Google and see if this works for you. There can be significant savings depending on where you eat and how long you're there for.

:duck:We won't be buying annual passes so I'm going to let that one go through to the keeper ;)

Again, this depends on how long you are planning to be at WDW for and what you think you might spend compared to the savings that the annual pass might give you. In many cases, one annual pass purchase might be worth it.....depending on your spend at WDW.

If we do not buy our tickets through DW and instead get through a travel agent, does this mean we will not be able to book our FPs prior to arrival?

Are you buying the WDW tickets through a travel agent in Australia?

It may pay to compare the prices against Undercover Tourist. Quite a few of us ANZACS (and Americans/Brits etc) have used UT without any issue for theme parks in Orlando.

TIW = Tables In Wonderland. Google and see if this works for you. There can be significant savings depending on where you eat and how long you're there for.

Hoping I got the quote buso right this time! Testing....

[QUOTE="Are you buying the WDW tickets through a travel agent in Australia?

It may pay to compare the prices against Undercover Tourist. Quite a few of us ANZACS (and Americans/Brits etc) have used UT without any issue for theme parks in Orlando.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks and would I be able to book FPs if going with that option?

Ergh! What am I missing with this multiple quote buso???!

If you go to the post you want to quote, highlight the text you want to quote. If you hover around it, there should be two options show up +Quote / Reply. Select the +Quote.
Then head to the next section of the text you want to quote and select that section. Do the same.

After you're done, head to the reply window at the bottom of the page. When you click on reply, there should be the option for you to quote all the quotes you've selected. Once there, just type a response after each (open square bracket)/quote(close square bracket) section.

Hope this helps.

Ok thanks and would I be able to book FPs if going with that option?

The last time I went to WDW was in 2013. They were 'testing' the Magic Bands (MB) then. I was lucky enough to be selected for the test. I did have the paper tickets that I purchased from UT and on DME, all I had to do was put in the ticket number against my account. Once the system recognised the ticket as valid, at the 60 day mark, I could book my FP+.

I do not know if this is still the same way to book your FP+. I expect there will be information on the Dis or if you google to check the UT FAQs section on how this all works now. I don't believe there is an issue with buying discounted tix from authorised resellers such at UT and booking FP+ via DME.

TIW! Oh Colin no more abbreviations please.:duck:We won't be buying annual passes so I'm going to let that one go through to the keeper ;)

The TIW was my funny side coming out and to confuse you more! Stands for Tables In Wonderland.

TIW cards are only available to AP holders or DVC members and cost $150.00 You buy them at guest services at a park or Disney Springs. This then gives you a 20% discount on most ADR dining. You would need to do enough ADR to justify the cost.

Do you know how to work out the room cost and points required for each night. Then you can compare resorts, room types and views.

David's site is really good for that thank you Colin. That's what I have been doing the past couple of nights, not a quick task that is for sure! :)

David's site is really good for that thank you Colin. That's what I have been doing the past couple of nights, not a quick task that is for sure! :)

Once you have worked out where to stay and room type and depending on who you rent from you can compare the cost to the normal resorts. DVC resorts are all deluxe.

and does deluxe just mean they have kitchenettes? In regards to the suites Colin? What makes it deluxe IYKWIM?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter