• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have dark rides changed?

iMadHatter

Mouseketeer
I had an AP during the 90's and early 00's. So for about a decade I was at DL ALL THE TIME! I would have lived there if I could. But it's obviously been a while since I was here last. And I know I am getting older. But the dark rides in FL seem WAY darker, LOUDER, and even a little faster- like they sped up the track. Is it just me getting old, or has any one else noticed this?

I especially notice the "darker" phenomenon, and have wondered if my eyes are THAT much worse than 15-20 years ago. The Haunted Mansion seems almost completely darkened, and Snow White/Pinocchio rides seem to be in much lower lighting than I remember. What do you all think - is it us or are the rides actually dimmer?

The rides don't seem darker to me.

I have noticed that the Haunted Mansion is sped up sometimes. It's not just going through faster that I notice. The music loop is faster, too.

Not sure about being louder. I've been on rides where the other riders were way too loud. Maybe they turned up the volume to drown out all the talking people on the rides.

I think these rides can appear darker when you ride them in the beginning/middle of the day vs night.

This is true. Your eyes don't adjust that quickly, so it will seem brighter at night. I don't really think they have changed things materially or anything for the most part.

I especially notice the "darker" phenomenon, and have wondered if my eyes are THAT much worse than 15-20 years ago. The Haunted Mansion seems almost completely darkened, and Snow White/Pinocchio rides seem to be in much lower lighting than I remember. What do you all think - is it us or are the rides actually dimmer?
we were there the last week of July beginning of Aug and both my husband and I commented on how dark the haunted mansion seemed. it was really hard to see anything.

I've been going to Disney parks off and on since the early 80s, and I honestly haven't noticed the dark rides getting darker, etc.

The rides look darker to me as well. A lot darker, in fact. I suspect it's a combination of factors, but primarily aging? Your eyes probably don't rebound from outdoor light as quickly. I remember the chain Christmas tree in the HM seance room quite clearly, but for several years now it's very difficult for me to see it. Sometimes I wouldn't even know what it was if I hadn't been going on the ride for so many years.

I thought the dark rides looked darker this trip than they did last year in October but I was attributing it to the sunshine and my eyes not adjusting.

I’ve seen this get brought up before. I think they aren’t any darker then they always have been. I’ll hit HM multiple times in a day and depending on how bright it is outside has a lot to do with how fast my eyes adjust to the dark. It’s always “brighter” in the evening when I’m used to the dark.

I do think some rides can be sped up during peak times, HM especially.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter