• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have the Kids programs improved?? or are they still lame?

fred ferdlap

Mouseketeer
First of all we travel with our kids to be with our kids, but I think it's good to have a variety and our own time (us and them)!

We were on the Wonder last Nov and I posted a comment about the Kids clubs. Our kids could have taken or left it.

We are going again in Jan on the Magic.

What are the differences in the clubs between the 3 day and 7 days? DD 9 and 11

First of all, I've seen it posted here recently that someone's kids did not like the club. too

Here is my general observation. The programs are loosely structured and more effort is spent checking kids in and out, and shuttling them around the ship, than organized activities.

It appeared computer games and video games were the norm to pass the time. I have already stated that the gameboy stays at home and hope to spend minimal time planted infront of the BOOB tube!
I would like to see more group games and activities, scavanger hunts and snipe hunts?

Fred,

I too just replied to your post on the thread where the recent cruiser said that their kids did not really like the Lab...

Here is a copy of my post...
I too am interested in the deal on the kids clubs. I have heard both ways. Recently emailed a very distant relative on my Husbands side who took a cruise on the Wonder with their kids... I know that the youngest is eight, so I am assuming that the kids were all in the 8 - 12 group? Anyhow, I do not think that this person is here on the DIS. And I regard her opinions as highly objective and mainstream. She said her kids LOVED the kids club, and she had to drag them outa there! PS: They had a great cruise, and highly recommend it!

Now, something here is clicking in this old brain of mine... I am thinking that many of the people who mention that their kids did not like the club had checked it out the first day, and didn't go back. If I can assume that this means Embarkation day, then isn't it true that there are no real planned activities? It is more of a 'check out the club' and get aquainted type situation. Where the parents and the whole family stop by? Hhhhmmmm????

I think we need a good thread on the kids clubs!!! What the kids liked, didn't like, good experiences (and bad?). I wouldn't want this to become any kind of debate. But, we need some good information here! Seems like restaurants, cabins, seating times, etc.... are all discussed to death...

Anyone care to begin a whole new thread about the kids, and the kids clubs?

So, now I think I will start a more general thread... with a really positive subject line... Perhaps "Let's share info about kids clubs." I think this could benefit many future cruisers!

The separate thread is up to you all, but here's my two cents on our recent 7 day with a 9 yr. daughter and 7 yr. son.
DD9 had a blast going to the club with a girlfriend that she met at the Hyatt the morning of the cruise. They were inseparable and went to do club activities together. I honestly don't think she would have wanted to spend so much time there if she hadn't found a buddy. She had another buddy already in place from our DIS thread. So I whole heatedly encourage you to be supportive of your kids making friends right away. A 4 day would be harder than the 7. Be active in a "roll call" thread for your cruise date ahead of time, and the kids can email a few times prior to the cruise.
My DS7 also made a friend on the first day and they rode together on the bus to the ship, but his parents were not into planning set times for the boys to get together. The one time I asked my son to please go to the club (Palo's night) he found that friend there and had a blast. Otherwise, he just hung out with us, which was great too.
SO, the moral to this story is... the club counselors can baby-sit, but it took some one-on-one friendships to make the club really fun.

DD6 loved kids camp last year and is counting down the days till she can go back! She participated in numerous programs - learning to draw piglet, pj party and just playing with her new friends. She thought it was so cool to keep going back to kid camp to get more stars on her name badge.
As much as I love DH & DD, kid camp on a cruise ship gives me 'Mommy Time' which I deserve...it's payback for car pools, snow days, soccer games, swimming lessons, drama lessons, DH business trips.... and she has a blast! We still have family time but I'm not 'forcing' her to participate in activities that I want to do.
:bounce:

"Fred"

Both my kids (9 & 5) loved the clubs on both the 7-day and the 3-day. It was a bit more fun to the older as she is a social butterfly. The younger was mainly interested in the scheduled activities, not the free time.

Buddy

I can only speak for my son who has visited the Oceaneer club. His excitement about the club has increased with each cruise. (He has done 3-4 once and 5-7 three times. He is so excited that he will be in the Lab on our next cruise.

I agree with Becka and Robin...my dd loves the clubs.

She calls it "MY CLUB" and she meets so many friends. While we are waiting to get on the ship..she zips around meeting new friends and arranges to meet them at the club.

IT is not for all kids....but ours loves it and cannot wait to go
back.

If you ask her what her favorite thing is on the ships...she'll tell you "her club" and the pools.....

As Becka said..we need mommie time and especially on a 7 night..they need kid time too.....

Just our(my) opinion....

Phyllis
:cool:

Our kids love them.

They have been on 4 cruises and seem to want to spend more time in them each time. When we told them about our next planned cruise, my 6 year olds first comments (with great excitement) were about going to the clubs. There are more activities on the 7 day but...that's because there is more time and they try not to repeat. I guess it depends on what your kids like to do and which events/programs they plan to attend. There are the "free times" when a lot gravitate to the video games, etc. but we tried to offer them times when there were fun things going on (making flubber, sports activities on deck 10, pirate training...the good stuff).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter