Have you ever been sick or injured on vacation? (not Covid)

wilbret

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever had a trip ruined due to illness or injury? (could be a work trip, too). Where you had to cancel, leave early, or just miss out while there.

Went with buddies to Cancun when I was a young, single, man... and proceeded to get Montezuma's revenge. I spent almost the entire trip in the room.
We missed Christmas one year with the family because I had the flu. Diagnosed on 12/24. Ugh.
Our daughter broke her leg on a Labor Day weekend trip.

I am sure there might be others, but those are the only 2 I can think of.

ill? oh yeah. bronchitis at a ski resort, nasty head cold at wdw, diminished enjoyment of trips.

injured? nasty fall at a wdw restaurant that resulted in sprained wrist. it happened w/in first couple of days so i didn't do any of the rougher rides. slammed in the back by one of those massive luggage carts the cruise lines use the last night to gather everyone's luggage for disembarking. ended up with whiplash but the worst part was b/c it happened the same day we had to fly back home by the time we landed my whole back and neck had tensed up and i could barely move.

Oh no, those sound awful.
Can't prove it but one year while in Orlando SOMEONE, not me, wanted to do something different so we deviated and went to visit crocagators at what I now call Salmonella Land. Everyone says it tastes like chicken, we should NOT have tried the fried nuggets to be adventurous.

When I was about 14 at Typhoon Lagoon I got the worst sunburn on my back. It was really bad. Fortunately it was close to the end of the trip, but we did have a Universal day planned. I went ahead and made the most of it, but it wasn't too pleasant. We drove too, so for the entire car ride back I curled up so my back wouldn't touch the seat. That was the most painful sunburn I ever had and I swore it would never happen again. It hasn't. I'm the guy putting sunscreen on every 15 minutes, but I don't take chances anymore!

Last edited:
DH had his hand caught in a conveyor belt at work while repairing equipment. His hand was sewn to his stomach (yes, really 🤢) for 3 weeks to regenerate the tissue. We couldn't get a refund on our beach vacation. We still went and poor guy sat inside all week. He figured being miserable with an Oceanview was better than home.

Caught a stomach bug at Disney the night before we were supposed to leave. We called the front desk and told them there was no way we could go anywhere the next day, so they extended our stay by two days. Had to reschedule the airline too. Then we just crashed in the room until we felt better. Thank goodness it worked out that we could stay.

Anyone ever had a trip ruined due to illness or injury? (could be a work trip, too). Where you had to cancel, leave early, or just miss out while there.
Since most of our trips are long ones, I almost always wind up with some sort of cold/sinus issues at some point.

We've never had to cancel or leave early, but I have spent the day in my room instead of out and about at least 3 or 4 times. Recently injured my hip during an RV trip. Wound up in emergency and was told to "rest it as much as possible". So did a lot sitting during that trip.

Kids were 2&6. Got food poisoning at Cinderella’s castle mid afternoon. I was determined we were not leaving. By the time we got back on the bus I had to puke. We got off the bus 1 in stroller and one running along side me. We made it back to our room and I was so sick. Thank goodness my 6 yr old helped with my 2yr old. We ended up having a great trip anyway.

Me! First trip to Disneyland in 1996. Got food poisoning (from KFC) the second day there. Ruined 3 days of my trip. Spent 3 days in the hotel in the bathroom and bed :(

My DH also got Montezuma's Revenge on the ONE trip he took to Mexico with a previous girlfriend. He at least got to swim with sharks (and hold one) before he got sick.

I got sick one year on a trip to Chicago to visit my family. We arrived and went out to dinner the first night. Overnight, I got very, very sick and I spent the entire next day on my cousin's couch, watching TV and sipping Gatorade. I missed out on lunch and shopping with my cousin and aunt. I was able to at least function after that, but I could barely eat. Missed out on a LOT of good Chicago cuisine on that trip!

I also got Montezuma's revenge in Cancun. Luckily it was only my last couple days and I had already done most of the stuff I wanted to. I chugged Pepto like it was happy hour $1 drinks 😂. On that same trip I learned how sunburned you can get even on an overcast day. I had blisters all over my shoulders and I couldn't wear a bra for a few days. Mexico is not a great vacation spot for me.

Not personally but my mother in law did.

We were on a combined LA/DisneyLand/Disney Cruise trip. While in LA my daughter came down with strep and we had to visit an immediate med place. At no time did my mother in law mention anything was wrong with her.

On the day in Mazatlán my mother in law came to breakfast and was unable to swallow. Her husband took her to the ships doctor who called for an ambulance. Since almost the beginning of the trip she had felt bad and her throat sore. Even while we were at the immediate med place for our daughter she never said anything because she did not want to be a bother.

She was admitted to a hospital in Mexico and had surgery to clear out an infection that would have been knocked out easily by an antibiotic days earlier by just speaking up while we were at the immediate med place.

I got to pack up the cabins and the ship helped us make reservations at a resort. The ships agent, always saw that mentioned on the ships port documents for the day, took our passports and got us stamped into the country.

Later that day we stood on the beach of the resort and watched the ship sail away.

In the end we arrived home the same day we would have if we had remained on the ship, we just flew home from Mazatlán instead of Los Angeles.

Buy trip insurance!

Be a bother!

Went with buddies to Cancun when I was a young, single, man... and proceeded to get Montezuma's revenge. I spent almost the entire trip in the room.
We missed Christmas one year with the family because I had the flu. Diagnosed on 12/24. Ugh.
Our daughter broke her leg on a Labor Day weekend trip.

I am sure there might be others, but those are the only 2 I can think of.

First day of Disney trip my daughter diagnosed with flu, second day I am diagnosed with the flu- she was back up and about in 2 days to the parks etc but I was down for 4 days.

I got a stomach virus in March on a cruise. Had it been a week later we probably wouldn’t have been allowed to come home.

Couple years ago I got sick at the Grand Canyon. I made myself go out and explore but I Couldn’t do all I wanted to do.

When I was riding around Lake Ontario on the bicycle I flipped over the bike with my 110 lb. worth of gear and bicycle whipping up over my head.

Spent a couple hours waiting to get stitched up in Rochester hospital. Had 3 days of riding to do and that next morning when I emerged from my tent, my buddy was busting laughing. Said I looked like I had it out last night with Rocky Balboa. Finished 3 days of riding with only 1 eye. It was the left eye swelled shut and the last day I had to run down on the streets with traffic back to the car with not being able car traffic to the left of me.

Just once. I got the fever and chills flu halfway through a two week solo WDW trip at WL. I checked In the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and was assigned an accessible room with a roll in shower, shower seat, and tons of grab bars in the bathroom. That was a fortunate thing, as I was too weak to walk very far. I didn’t leave the room for three days. I wanted something hot to drink so bad, and because they didn’t have coffee makers in the rooms back then, I resorted to drinking warm tap water (blech!). I had asked that housekeeping not come in while I had a fever, and I remember the housekeeper coming in with a mask and gloves when I finally let them in. The hardest part was packing and getting everything to the car and getting home.

My lesson learned? Travel with enough cold meds to cover the entire trip, and make sure I have access to hot water to make tea. If I am not going to a hotel with a microwave, I take the immersion heater I bought after the WL trip. I have never been that sick on vacation again, but I have caught a cold once in a while and that heater has been a life saver.

While on a houseboating vacation at Lake Powell I developed horrible kidney stones. I have never had such pain in my life (prior to having kids). There was no way to get to a hospital since we were far away from the boat launch. I had to suck it up and deal with the pain. I did take several trips out on the sea doo to try and bump them apart and then out.. It took about 2 days until I felt better and then it was a great vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter