• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever felt looked down upon..?

DisneyRN1

Dis Veteran
This may seem like a trivial question, but has anyone felt like they were given less desirable seating in the resturants because there was only 2 people instead of 3 or 4? We just got back from WDW and when we went to at least two of the resturants we asked to sit in a certain spot and were told that the tables in that area were for more than two people. The resturants were not busy at this time and many tables were empty. This also happened our last trip. We had PS at Tony's Town Square. We were shown to a little table in the corner(very cramped) even though we had requested a seat in the glass patio area. When we asked to be reseated, the waitress was very rude and told us those tables were for 3 or 4 people. I asked to talk to the manager and we did eventually get seated on the patio, which again was not crowded. I realize they want to seat as many people as possible, but I don't feel like we should not be able to enjoy our meal just because there are only 2 of us. At this time, we were on the Grand Plan and can pretty much guarantee our bill was as much as many of the tables that has 3 or 4 people at them. Has anyone else felt this way or have we just had some bad experiences?

I have to say I haven't felt this before. I have always had the table that I wanted at Californian Grill and this has been normally for 4 people. Even at Beaches & Cream even though there were only 2 of us we were still given a booth at 9.30pm at night which is when they're quite busy, in fact I felt quite guilty as there were parties of 4 waiting for tables as well but the guilt didn't last too long..........hey I'm on vacation too ;) ;) and why shouldn't we have good tables even though there are only 2 of us.

RN1 - you were right to speak to the Manager especially if they were not busy.

This has never happened to me either. I'm glad you spoke with the Manager and got it straightened out.

I've gotten shafted a lot as a couple, but I've always assumed it was because I'm young and look like I don't have much money. I assume that's why I get ignored in clothes stores, too. :confused:

That's to bad that something like this has to happen. You did the right thing by speaking to a manager.

In my case I have never had this happen to me...either on solo trips or with others. In fact on solo trips the CM's appear to be more friendly. I was at a resturant last year where they told a family of 3 that there would be a 50 min wait. As I was about to leave they asked me how many and I told them one.....low and behold she was walking me to my table with no waiting.

Well, I'm glad that this has not happened to a lot of people, and isn't the norm. Maybe we just had some bad experiences. It may also make a difference that we always try to eat early and maybe the staff are afraid big groups may arrive without PS and are trying to hold tables for that situation I don't know, but it hasn't stopped us from eating at our favorite places.

BTW Doc Rafiki you really shouldn't be treated differently because you are young or "look like you don't have any money". Looks can be deceiving. My DH is 55 and I am 47, we always dress "nice", are DINK's and save so we can splurge a little at WDW. Everyone should have a magical trip to WDW.

I've only felt that way at two restaurants: California Grill and Bistro de Paris. Every place else we've been treated as well as anyone.

Originally posted by DisneyRN1

BTW Doc Rafiki you really shouldn't be treated differently because you are young or "look like you don't have any money". Looks can be deceiving.

I guess if it really bothered me, I would dress more nicely, LOL. It might all be in my head, too. :confused:

Never had that happen, just the opposit. EVERY time DH and I go to dinner alone, we ALWAYS get seated by a family with a TON of kids! LOL! We DREAM of a table away from people, oh well :rolleyes:

Try making a PS for CInderella Royal table for 1 or 2 and you will know how it feels.(and I'm talking lunch here not breakfast). They only have a small number of tables for 2 and will not reserve a larger table. Even when I called 60 days ahead, the times weren't great(2:30pm for lunch), but ask for a table for 3 and you could get any time you wanted.

I also stopped by Rainforest Cafe at AK once by myself. The seater told me I could sit at the bar. I told him I'd prefer a table and even though it was it off times and they had lots of empty tables, he told me it would be a long wait then if I wouldn't sit on a stool at the bar to eat. The next person came by about 2 minutes later when the first was talking to another party and I got my table immediately.

Julfre,
Your post brings up something I had forgotten-I had someone once tell me that they have made a reservation for 3 people for just that very reason-to get a better table, or more room at the table, and then after they are seated, tell the waitress/waiter that the other person just called and won't be coming. (another reason cell phones shouldn't be allowed in resturants) I have never tried that because it doesn't seem right, but I guess it worked for them.

I have never had a problem as a party of 2, either with a PS or by walking up. We went to CRT for dinner one night, walked up, were seated in less than 15 min and had a window seat. The restaurant was busy, but I guess we came at a good time.

Sometimes being near others isn't a bad thing. At some restaurants there are sections where half the table has booth seats, and has chairs across from it. The booth is connected along the back so three or more tables can have seating with the back booth (Le Cellier has this, as well as other places) we have sat next to some of the nicest people.

I have never felt shafted. I might be upset if I had previously requested a specific seat, but I think you have to keep in mind that someone has to sit at the tables for 2. While they might not be as roomy as tables for 4, you can't expect the hostess to break up a larger party. Also just because seats look vacant when you arrive, it doesn't mean that they are not currently being reserved for other parties with PS.

WE were at the Princess Storybook Breakfast in Epcot in late Sept. There was just me and DD and we were sat in a very undesirable location.. We were wedged in by a wall and it was hard for the princesses to get to us (but they did get there). I thought we got a bad spot b/c there were just 2 of us

That's too bad poohgirl, but you <i>did</i> get to see the princesses after all?

lol we did! The princesses were GREAT and spent a fair amount of time with us. Our location and server left plenty to be desired.

That's really good to know! I'm looking forward to experiencing the newest princess breakfast in December :)

I would not expect the restaurants to split up large tables, and don't usually request a specific table. I guess one of my disapointments is that frequently the tables for two are in out of the way or cramped places. My DH and I are no where near the point that we need special seating, but both could stand to lose a few pounds and sometimes it is akward to get in and out of tight spaces-especially my husband because of back problems. And we have had some very nice tables for two in good locations. But I can almost guarantee it there is a table for two, in a crowded corner, we will be seated there. :rolleyes:

Yes I have the same problem was the restuarant - Liberty Tree - we were first seated next to the door to the cooking area - I complain quick and we were moved to the front.

My real problems have been with a party of 6 - they book you then when you get there - the table is for 4 not 6 - this was a big problem!!! I didn't complaint (like I would now) - but it was funny - not a good funny - the poor waitress had a lot of trouble trying to place the food - I really wish that WDW would not try to make 6 people eat in any area for 4. And yes they knew the reservations was for 6!!!

Of course I don't know what I would do - if the restuarant refuses to move us - probably leave. they are a bunch of other places to eat at WDW -

Maybe I just never notice it, but I've never had a problem. I've been twice, once with a friend of mine, and once by myself. When I went with my friend we ate at Planet Hollywood, the only sit down we had, and I didn't notice a problem. When I went solo I didn't do a sit down, but even then I really didn't notice a problem going solo. But if you do have a problem, just talk to Management.

steven

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter