Have You Ever Gotten Sick From a Disney Restaurant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only once and it was totally my fault. Just before the trip I had been diagnosed with an allergy to lectin, and was still learning what to eat and what not eat. At one meal at POP I forgot what was on the no-list and had mashed potatoes and green beans, both highly problematic for me. I barely made it back to the room.

Got sick first time eating at California Grill. Ate one sushi piece and needed the bathroom immediately. Was a quick bug and felt back to 85% by the next morning. I would go back, but I might avoid the sushi.

I got so sick from a lobster roll at the American Food and Wine booth about 8-9 years ago.
Have not eaten lobster since.

Homecoming at Disney Springs. Both my husband and I were sick after eating there. Both woke up in the middle of the night and sick for hours. Will never eat there again.

Honestly, unless you go see a medical professional and actually have tests run, you have no idea what made you sick. Food poisoning, depending on specifics, can hit over a long period of time. So even if it IS food poisoning, it may not be the last thing you ate. Most "food poisoning" is simply a stomach bug of some sort that has nothing to do with the food.

Now, I have had food poisoning. It is hell. I was hospitalized due to dehydration and because I was throwing up so hard my throat started to bleed. They took samples and were able to figure out exactly what I had, contacted the health department, and it was figured out to be some BBQ roast chicken I had had the night before I got ill.

I've always trusted Disney's culinary cast members, and I personally have never had an issue with any of the dining options (quick service or table service) on property. I'm curious to hear whether anybody here has dined on Disney property and gotten sick from a particular dish they/their party ate. And whether or not you gave that dish a second chance.

Post your horror stories. :earboy2:

DH got sick after a surf n turf type burger at POFQ back over DD's spring break 2011. He was fine beforehand, and the only place we ate for about 36 hours was the food court there at POFQ. He got sick about 12 hours after eating the burger on the 2nd day. (Ate dinner at the food court after arriving; the next day massive storms hit, so we stayed at the hotel and ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the food court again; he ate the burger for lunch that day). May not have been the burger, but everything at breakfast was the same for both of us; and the only thing he ate the day before that wasn't at the food court was breakfast at 10am at home.

Two vacations in a row I ordered crab cakes at Boatwright's. Both years I became horribly ill. I decided I must have developed a shellfish allergy so for the next decade I consumed no shell fish. Last year I was tested and am not allergic to shellfish. No idea!

I got super sick after eating at Olivia's like a decade ago. Had biscuits and gravy. Body Shakes and like a gallon of puke. But I'm not going to say I know thats where I got sick, since many things that cause food poisoning take hours/days to actually infect you. But most ppl blame the last thing they ate, when they really can't know unless you can pin down commonalities with multiple sicknesses from the same time/place

Never because of a problem with the food. A couple years ago when we had the Deluxe Dining Plan one year, we ate at Sci-Fi in DHS and shared the huge appetizer sampler, had burgers for our meals and then shakes for desert. It was REALLY hot that day and after eating all that heavy food and then going back out in the heat, we had to leave the park because I felt so sick.

Honestly, unless you go see a medical professional and actually have tests run, you have no idea what made you sick. Food poisoning, depending on specifics, can hit over a long period of time. So even if it IS food poisoning, it may not be the last thing you ate. Most "food poisoning" is simply a stomach bug of some sort that has nothing to do with the food.

Now, I have had food poisoning. It is hell. I was hospitalized due to dehydration and because I was throwing up so hard my throat started to bleed. They took samples and were able to figure out exactly what I had, contacted the health department, and it was figured out to be some BBQ roast chicken I had had the night before I got ill.
Exactly. Eating something and getting sick immediately probably means that you are getting sick from the previous meal. Heat stroke will make you vomit. Lots of other reasons. But I do agree with those who say they never ate again at the place they think they got sick. The association is sometimes terrible.

Yes, we took the Backstage Magic tour and our lunch break was at Mama Melrose.
The server put all the food at one end of the table and said pass it down. I think we got
everything they didn't like and I don't even remember what it was. Not sure if was some spice
or something else. Haven't been back since

I got food poisoning twice from Backlot Express a few years apart and that is the only place that it has happened to me at WDW. I imagine it was norovirus since it came on really fast. I am fastidious in hand washing and do not touch any food unless I have washed my hands. So we will order our food and then go and wash our hands right before we touch any of it. I imagine that not all employees are as diligent.

Homecoming at Disney Springs. Both my husband and I were sick after eating there. Both woke up in the middle of the night and sick for hours. Will never eat there again.
I felt yucky after eating there as well, but I chalked it up to it being greasy. If I crave southern food that won’t make me nauseous, I’ll go visit my MIL.

It really depends on what it is. Things like Staph or norovirus can hit you almost immediately and once you expel everything, you start to feel better. So that would not be a "stomach bug". Because a stomach bug does not not come on violently and only last an hour or two and then you are fine. Most people can track what they eat and can narrow it down pretty accurately, especially if you are in a group where those who got sick ate something the others didn't. People digest things much faster then you might think. Every eat asparagus? That smell comes out within and hour of eating it, so it goes through your system pretty darn quick.

My son got sick after eating at Columbia Harbour House. He says food poisoning, I’m not 100% sure, could have been a tummy bug ???

Yeah, I think this is missed on a lot of people. I've never had a problem at WDW. My only real food poisoning issue was at a food court in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter