Have you ever not been excited for a vacation?

EveDallas

Always keep fighting
Most everyone here who knows me knows that I LOVE Universal. I'll be there again in 18 days and I just can't get excited for this trip. In the past, my son and I have always stayed on-site, used buses/boats to and from the park, and Uber to get around town. This time, we are going with my two older brothers - both of whom have health issues. My oldest brother is in kidney failure and on dialysis, as well as being almost completely blind and - while not wheelchair bound - can only walk very short distances (think less than 30 feet at a time). My other brother is partially blind (he has no peripheral vision so can only see straight ahead) and is very hard of hearing. So this is going to be a very different kind of trip.

We are also renting a vacation home about 25 minutes from the parks and renting a minivan for the length of our trip. I will be the only driver and am nervous, having never driven in Florida. I just want to be able to enjoy myself while making sure everyone has a great trip!

I keep telling myself that everything will be fine, that I'm just stressing myself for no reason, etc. After all, I WILL be in Universal - my happy place!

Does anyone have any experience navigating the parks with a wheelchair? How about just drinking in Orlando in general? Do you find out easy to get around? What about tolls? I read about a visitor toll pass - does anyone have experience with that? Sorry for all the questions - this just feels so foreign to me and my family is looking to me to make sure things go smoothly!

Thanks for any help 😊

Last edited:
Yeah, I know what you mean. We took my husband's parents to Disney one year for Thanksgiving, and while I wanted to be excited about it I just couldn't be because I knew it wasn't going to be "our kind of trip" due to their physical limitations. I remember lots of waiting for them to get ready, and verrrry slow movement, and problems with them maneuvering the ECVs they weren't used to. It took a lot of patience on everyone's part. I know they were often tired and overwhelmed, and I know my kids were often chomping at the bit to DO something, and my husband and I were frustrated at being in the middle of it, and I was stressed out because I'm the "Disney person" and I felt responsible for everyone having a good time.

I don't know how much your brothers are interested in doing, but my advice is that if they tell you to let them sit and rest a bit while you and your son go do something-- do it. My in-laws repeatedly said this but we felt that they were just being nice and that we should all stay together. Finally we took them up on it when we were in Epcot and they ended up having a long, leisurely lunch at Chefs de France while we ran around and rode the rides. When we met back up again we were more on the same level energy-wise-- we had tired ourselves out running around and they had recharged themselves over a nice long lunch. Then we were all more able to have a good time together just touring the countries. They wanted to enjoy seeing the kids have a good time, but they didn't need or want to be dragged along behind us ALL the time.

Regarding driving in Orlando, I don't know about toll roads-- I have a SunPass so I don't worry about them, but I don't think I ever end up getting on any when I'm in Orlando. Does it look like you'd need to use any from the rental home to the parks? Oh, but maybe you mean driving into Florida-- are you driving the minivan from your home to Orlando or renting one at the airport? Anyway, just use a good navigation system and take it slow. If you make a wrong turn or miss a turn, don't sweat it; just wait until the navigation system corrects you and do what it says. If it takes a little longer to get where you're going, so be it, you're on vacation and not in a hurry. There's only so lost you can get and only for so long these days with the navigation systems we have. And don't let anyone "backseat drive." I am an extremely unaggressive driver and I'm always hearing from my kids "Mom, you were supposed to turn back there!" and I'm like "I know, but I couldn't get over in that lane in time." I always get there eventually but it makes me more nervous to have other people trying to tell me what I should be doing. If anyone does this to you just offer to let them drive. That usually shuts my kids up, although I'm waiting for the day one of the little buggers tries to take me up on it.

It will be different than what you're used to, but stay open-minded about it (and it sounds like you're keeping your expectations low, so that may work in your favor, haha) and hopefully you will all come away from the trip feeling that it has been a success. Like you said, just being there in your happy place will put you in a good mood, and being there with people you care about has got to be fun, even if it's a lot slower-paced than the trips you usually take.

Wow the 1st responder completely nailed it and I really have nothing to add, except to keep telling yourself (and your son) it doesnt have to be the perfect Universal trip for it to be amazing in it's own way. You will be demonstrating to your child how to show Kindness, patience, Compassion, empathy and Family Love. His uncles wont be around forever and may have less sight and mobility in the future. Explain ahead of time that this is a different kind of trip. A quieter, slower trip. Plan to enjoy little moments like all of you enjoying the hottub for a few minutes say, or relaxing in the park with a great snack and watching and discussing the crowds. Encourage your child to help you care for his uncles. It's all about expectations and attitude. Dont fall victim to "We paid xx number of dollars and have only done one ride!" mindset. It's not about that. Good luck and Enjoy.

Ive used manual wc in UO before and had no issues
Line rides allows manual wc

Probably get the AAP at guest services for your brothers
You and son can be added to brothers card

If park will be crowded, you can use the assistance card to have a time period listed to return for specific rides
TM at ride entrance will handle that

I’ve had trips with my parent, trips with just the kids, trips with a friend and trips all by myself! They are all very different and I go into each with a different set of expectations. As long as you know that things will be slower, you’ll get much less done and you’ll have to deal with other peoples wants and needs, you’ll be fine. Expect many breaks and some waiting around as they’ll be moving much slower than you. Think of this trip as a trip to spend time with your brothers instead of a trip to the parks. Enjoy time with them and hopefully get a few rides in as well. As far as the drive, I4 can test your patience. Make sure you plan on traffic and delays and be pleasantly surprised if you don’t encounter it. EVCs where actually the easiest thing ever although we rented in the parks. When my mom finally got to the point where she would rent one, we laughed that we had to run after her instead of waiting for her to catch up. Enjoy this time with your brothers and then take a trip later with just your son. I'm sure you’ll end up treasuring both.

Yes! I am going in 9 days and I couldn't be less excited. I just got back from Paris last Sunday and I'm still exhausted from that trip and have no interest in traveling again so soon. I don't know what I was thinking when I booked these back to back trips?? I've gone to Disney/Universal a ton of times so it's gotten to be old hat for me but we wanted to check out the new Hagrid ride but from all of the reports I've seen, that's going to be an ordeal in itself...not to mention the cost. I've gotten to the point where I don't HAVE to go to Disney all the time anymore to get my "fix". I'm good with every few years at this point but here we are. I think this will be my last trip for a long while. I'll be waiting for all of the new construction to be completed in Epcot before I decide to go back. I need a break from all of the money grubbing and I've discovered that cruising is much more relaxing and affordable for me. I can do 2 or 3 cruises a year for the price of a week at Disney/Universal so that's what I intend to do from now on. All of this price gouging has gotten ridiculous and has totally sucked the fun out of my vacations. We have gone to Paris/London for 9 days for much cheaper than I can drive to Disney for a weekend. Now THAT is insane!

Sometimes when you are stressed, it can take some of the excitement out. I know for my next trip this thanksgiving. I am going with my elderly parents. I am so worried about finding them things to do. Also worried about the new pet sitter and how the dog and cats will fare. Take a deep breath., 1GoldenSun offered excellent advice. Just be flexible, keep communication open.

Driving and navigating itself is very easy in Florida, all the main roads are clearly marked and with using ur phone or other navigation device, u shouldn't have any problems getting around. As far as tolls are considered, when u pickup the rental vehicle, there will be an option to add a toll pass if u want but it's not necessary, because of all the tourist in Florida, the state actually has a policy in place specific for this. You can just go through the tolls with ur rental vehicle and pay for them later, u will not be fined. But if u prefer, u can just pay cash or card at the toll booth as u go, almost every toll has an attendant but there are a couple that dont, so just keep a few dollar change on ya and u will be fine. But if ur just driving from Disney to universal or around those places, u wont need to worry about tolls. The biggest issue I've ever had driving around Florida is the other tourist. No offense but there are a lot of foreigners that dont understand our laws or can even read the signs and yet they get a rental car, so definitely be on the defensive side when driving around Disney or Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter