Have you sold DVC points only to buy others later

sachilles

DVC coming to this space soon
Mostly curious to find out what happens to the sellers of most of these re-sale contracts.

Reasons for selling in my mind:
  • Money crunch, can't afford it, so they have to sell.
  • Don't need it anymore, family doesn't use it anymore, why keep it?
  • Frustrated at Disney, I'm out!
  • Divorce or other major family event, death etc.
  • Sell one contract at resort A to purchase at resort B.

I see many of you have add onitis. So some of you are hoarding points. Are you picking up extra points with the intent to rent them etc. Do you add on, only to drop somewhere else?

Just looking ahead at what my families pattern might become. Right now, we love going. I think you can go too often. We go once a year, and every other year or so, wife and I do a parents only trip for food and wine.

If you have bought direct with a perks qualifying contract, and bought more contracts later, did you consider direct again and why?

Lots of random questions in here. Answer what you like, and impart your wisdom upon me.

We had 3 SSR contracts totaling 420 points. When AKL opened, we sold 120 SSR to help pay for 160 AKL. Sometimes I wish that we had kept them but it is what we could afford at the time.

Yes, sold BCV to add on more at OKW. Family was growing, more grand kids, needed a GV for more trips. BCV does not have any GVs.

At one point or another we've owned VWL (BRV), BCV, AKL, OKW, and CCV. After about 20 years of DVC, we pretty much know where we prefer to stay (OKW and CCV) so we did sell the other contracts.

No sales yet. Still in Acquisition mode. 1070 points and counting at 3 different resorts. And I have around $27,000 saved at the moment to buy more. Still looking at my options for it. I was going to put it as a down payment on Riviera, but I don't think I'm interested in that, now. Riviera will be way too restricted.

In the process of selling to be able to buy another home with more points.

Have purchased resale and direct, sold some contracts and bought others. Have now decided on our favorite resorts and we rotate staying at them. Unless the older resorts have something great going for them, we find that we don't like paying for a resort the needs updating.

:earsboy: Bill

I was considering selling my second VGF contract that had 130 points to buy direct at Riviera -- but with the new restrictions for resale buyers, I likely won't be buying RR direct.

Have sold once from divorce column and once to help pay for new house and baby which was delaying return trips anyway. Recently closed on CCV for third time membership as we are back on 1-3 times a year Disney Trips for the foreseeable future. Its an addiction

Yep! Had 300 SSR/ BLT points. As the kids grew up we no longer needed 1-2 beds. I sold when we were building our house. A few years later when Poly opened we bought 125 there as we love the studios at that resort. Suits where we are in our lives now. No regrets!

No, not at all my style. I have direct points I have had more than 20 years so they were in the low $60s to prchase.

Why would I throw away money?

Bought 250 resale points at AKV in 2012 (a 200 and a 50 point contract sold together), so the only direct benefit we don't have is not using points for a cruise and the adventure/concierge collection.
We have been every year since 2013. We took last year off. We stay at AKV and OKW.

We enjoy Disney, but we like doing other things too. We don't really have any interest in accumulating points at other resorts or going down a bunch of times a year. It's still really shocking for me to see some of the incredible number of DVC points that some people own.

However, our kids enter middle school next year, so we'll see how this changes as they get older.

I doubt we will ever sell because the cost of buying back in if we ever wound up with second thoughts would be more than I would want to spend for something like this. Direct pricing is outrageous, and I'm not pleased with the resale "second class" that Disney is creating. Even if my wife and I want to come down less, we'd be more than happy to let our kids use the points to come with their friends or cousins to Disney as they get older, if that's something they want to do. Or we'd rent our points. So the points will get used one way or another; I wouldn't pay for them to just go unused. But I would never sell unless we experienced some kind of complete and unforeseen personal event that lead to personal finance disaster.

While AKV is a lovely resort I was just not as happy staying there as I was at OKW. I recently sold two AKV contracts but
replaced them with OKW contracts.
I think I am content with what I have right now,
Regards
Mel

We have bought and sold points to adjust our ownership as use and options changed. Our purchases have been both direct and resale. We currently own at four resorts across two use years and that is working well for us currently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter