Having 2 Southwest Credit cards

come join us on the credit card thread if you have questions. You can apply for the CSP as long as it has been 48 months since your last sapphire (CSR or CSP) bonus. And you cannot currently hold either of them.

I have personally transferred to Hyatt, United and SW and they are all pretty instantaneous.

Thanks for the info. The cc thread moves a bit fast for me to keep up.
So if i cancel one of our CSP cards, I can wait a few days then reapply? Our bonus was in 2016.
Is there any reason not to? It’s no the oldest credit account so that would not be affected.

That 100,000 points offer makes me want to cancel one of our cards and reapply. I wonder if they allow that. Probably not.
Thanks for the info. The cc thread moves a bit fast for me to keep up.
So if i cancel one of our CSP cards, I can wait a few days then reapply? Our bonus was in 2016.
Is there any reason not to? It’s no the oldest credit account so that would not be affected.
Don't cancel the CSP, if you do you need to wait 30 days before applying and the 100K offer may be gone by then. Instead, call customer service to downgrade it to one of the no annual fee Chase Freedom cards. (The card will keep the same number, and does not appear as a new account on your credit report.) Then wait at least four business days before applying. Make sure your total credit lines with Chase are <50% household income and/or <$70K combined before applying. Are you under 5 new cards in 24 months? If not, then you need to wait until you are.

Also, make sure to use your DH's link to earn an extra 20K URs.

Thank you for the information. I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I can open the CSP card, do the 4000.00 spend in 3 months and earn 100,000 points on this card. I can then transfer these points to my Southwest Rapid Reward account and I would have the 100.000 points now as Southwest Rapid Reward points to redeem on flights through the Southwest Website. How soon do they post the points after you reach your 4000.00 spend on the CSP card.
Why transfer the points? When you transfer them it is a 1 for 1 transfer. IF you use the point to book SWA tickets on Chase they are worth 1.5 So you will be cheating yourself out of 50K in points because using them on Chase means you have 150k in points to use.. Transferring the points to SWA does not get you closer to the companion pass because transferred points don't count toward the CP so keep them in your Chase acct. To book SWA flights using your chase points you have to call Chase to book the flights.

I don't know if you can get the same card again but the website Doctor of Credit lists all the credit card and banking bonuses available. Even if you can't get another SW card, you could get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card then transfer the Ultimate Reward points to your SW RR account. They transfer at a 1:1 ratio so you don't lose any points due to the transfer. I was a die-hard lover of my SW card and swore I'd never drop it but while in a Chase branch (signing up for a $300 bonus for a checking account) we were both offered the CSP card with a 50,000 point bonus. I told the banker I'd do it only for the bonus but I was certain it could never replace my SW card.

Well, that's when I quickly learned that I was almost never earning double points through purchases on the SW card, whereas the CSP card earns double points for all travel and dining purchases. This is for everything from ordering a pizza to paying for airport parking. We got the 2 CSP cards in 2016 right before we put a small addition on our home and knew we'd easily make the spending requirement. We still have both of those cards! I keep the 2nd one as a spare and to put larger, occasional expenses such as car/homeowners insurance, travel, etc. If I try to use only 1 account, it makes our everyday purchases balance appear huge and I start getting panicky. For me, it's better to keep 2 accounts going, so I can keep track better. I can easily transfer UR points from one account to the other.
But if they transfer those points at a rate of 1 for 1 they are loosing out. If you use the points on CHase to book a trip the points are worth 1.5 so they gain 50% more points by not transferring and just booking SWA flights on Chase. You must call Chase to book SWA flights.

Why transfer the points? When you transfer them it is a 1 for 1 transfer. IF you use the point to book SWA tickets on Chase they are worth 1.5 So you will be cheating yourself out of 50K in points because using them on Chase means you have 150k in points to use.. Transferring the points to SWA does not get you closer to the companion pass because transferred points don't count toward the CP so keep them in your Chase acct. To book SWA flights using your chase points you have to call Chase to book the flights.
That is a good idea! I forget that's possible becasue SWA doesn't show up in search results. Calling works!

So I would call Chase and they would use those points for points on a SW flight?

So I would call Chase and they would use those points for points on a SW flight?

I would first calculate the points needed if booking directly through SWA-RR. This way you will be able to compare point costs instantly, while still on the phone, which method uses fewer points to book.
For us, we’d never earn a Companion Pass by flying, without massive cc bonuses, so earning RR points would not be an incentive for me. It might be for others. Booking directly with RR points is extremely convenient when you want to change or cancel a flight but again, that’s just me.

I would first calculate the points needed if booking directly through SWA-RR. This way you will be able to compare point costs instantly, while still on the phone, which method uses fewer points to book.
For us, we’d never earn a Companion Pass by flying, without massive cc bonuses, so earning RR points would not be an incentive for me. It might be for others. Booking directly with RR points is extremely convenient when you want to change or cancel a flight but again, that’s just me.
Thank you. We have JetBlue and are very loyal to them. However they don’t offer many flights out of buffalo or Rochester where SW does. So we are thinking about opening just to book flights down. I just read the 65000 pts after 2000 spent is gone. It’s only the 40000 points. Not sure what to do. Do you have the plus or the Premier card?

I would caution that this needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. You are correct that with a CSR you redeem on the chase portal at 1.5x, but you do not lose out 50k points by transferring to Southwest. Southwest points typically redeem at 1.3 to 1.6c per point. Therefore in some cases it is a better use of points to transfer to SW.

The other main advantage of transferring the points to SW - flexibility. Flights booked using SW points can be changed/cancelled easily - you get the points back and they never expire. It is very easy to refare if you see the price go down.

If you book using URs through chase - 1. It is a pain as you have to call, 2. If you need to change/cancel, you will get a travel credit that expires 12 months from date of booking.

I book several Southwest trips each year,and have rarely decided that booking through Chase was my best option. However, if the numbers make sense, and you are sure that you don't need the flexibility, then I can see that it may sometimes be a good option.

Thank you. We have JetBlue and are very loyal to them. However they don’t offer many flights out of buffalo or Rochester where SW does. So we are thinking about opening just to book flights down. I just read the 65000 pts after 2000 spent is gone. It’s only the 40000 points. Not sure what to do. Do you have the plus or the Premier card?

Sorry, I forget which card we have. We only got it because at the time they were offering a one year companion pass +30,000 RR points.

I would caution that this needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. You are correct that with a CSR you redeem on the chase portal at 1.5x, but you do not lose out 50k points by transferring to Southwest. Southwest points typically redeem at 1.3 to 1.6c per point. Therefore in some cases it is a better use of points to transfer to SW.

The other main advantage of transferring the points to SW - flexibility. Flights booked using SW points can be changed/cancelled easily - you get the points back and they never expire. It is very easy to refare if you see the price go down.

If you book using URs through chase - 1. It is a pain as you have to call, 2. If you need to change/cancel, you will get a travel credit that expires 12 months from date of booking.

I book several Southwest trips each year,and have rarely decided that booking through Chase was my best option. However, if the numbers make sense, and you are sure that you don't need the flexibility, then I can see that it may sometimes be a good option.
You do loose out because you have just threw away a 50% bonus by not using them on the Chase webpage. If you need to change the SWA flight booked through Chase you can go on and do it yourself so you dont loose the ability of the flexibility to manage your own flight. You only have to can to book the flight. I have managed our flight right on my SWA RR page when prices drop or I want to switch flights or flight days

I applied for SW card on July 9th (when the 65,000 point reward was still available.) I did not receive instant approval but did receive approval today. Can I assume I will get the 65,000 points (provided I meet the spending requirements) even though the offer expired on 7/14?

I applied for SW card on July 9th (when the 65,000 point reward was still available.) I did not receive instant approval but did receive approval today. Can I assume I will get the 65,000 points (provided I meet the spending requirements) even though the offer expired on 7/14?
Yes, you will get the bonus you applied for. You can always secure message Chase to confirm

You do loose out because you have just threw away a 50% bonus by not using them on the Chase webpage.....

I think you misunderstood my post.....here is a real life example based upon a flight I just looked up......

Cost of flight on Southwest.com $158 or 10,235 southwest rapid rewards pts + $5.60 tax (so those 10,285 SWRR pts get you $152.40 of value = 1.49c per point)

Cost of flight on Chase $158 or 10,533 URs (1.5c of value per UR)

Both methods in this example cost effectively the same (with Chase slightly edging it) - but you have not lost 50% by not using the Chase portal.

.... If you need to change the SWA flight booked through Chase you can go on and do it yourself so you dont loose the ability of the flexibility to manage your own flight. You only have to can to book the flight. I have managed our flight right on my SWA RR page when prices drop or I want to switch flights or flight days

Sorry - i did not mean to convey that you lose flexibility in managing your flight on the website. Just that if you book through chase, and want to refare, change or cancel, you get a travel credit which expires versus booking using SW RR pts and getting your points back with no expiry.

My husband and I have each had our own Southwest credit cards for years. How easy is it to get another card and keep open our first one? We have a large purchase coming up and would like to get some bonus points.
Just an update, did not get instant approval. Got the message that would be notified in 2 weeks by mail when I would call .The account did show on line after about 10 days with my other chase accounts. They did reduce available balance on another which is not a problem, since we don't carry balances. I sent an secure message to ask when the card would be mailed. They responded they were sending over night rush delivery. Received next day .

Just an update, did not get instant approval. Got the message that would be notified in 2 weeks by mail.The account did show on line after about 10 days with my other chase accounts. They did reduce chase available balance which is not a problem, since we don't carry balances. I sent an secure message to ask when the card would be mailed. They responded they were sending over night rush delivery. Received next day .
Applied online- instantly approved. Have been sent emails to link online to Apple Pay etc but still haven’t got card. Been 5 business days.

I was was just emailing to ask when the card would be sent out. Very surprised they offered to put a rush and received it the next day.

I was was just emailing to ask when the card would be sent out. Very surprised they offered to put a rush and received it the next day.

You might actually get 2 cards - the one that was being processed and the one that was express delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter