Having a wig made? Any recommendations?

Neesy228

DIS Veteran
I realize that it's unlikely that someone can help, but I'm going to ask anyway....

I am searching for a reputable and caring company that will make a wig for my MIL out of her own hair. She is starting chemo and is devastated over the thought of losing her long hair. At the suggestion of an oncology nurse, we believe that having one made of her own hair will be the least traumatic for her.

We have found several companies online, but I am hesitant to commit to somewhere without any recommendations.

Grateful for any insight or suggestions. Thanks.

Gosh, it has been over 14 years that we had done this with my late MIL, and it was locally done, and I asked my FIL and he doesn't remember.. So sorry for everything you are all going through.

It was the oncology department that had directed us.. I understand your hesitation.. Hope you can find some type of recommendation..

I work in Oncology and I have found the synthetic wigs to be much better than the ones made of real hair. No bad hair days! I would suggest you take you MIL to a local wig shop and let her pick one out. Insurance will usually reimburse if you get a prescription from the Dr. for a hair prosthetic.

I would also suggest you gather a collection of greeting cards, that you can give her throughout her treatment to encourage her. I have also found that laughter is a great soother: I Love Lucy works wonders!

When I was in treatment I thought I'd want a real hair wig. I didn't like them at all. I got a really nice, super comfortable synthetic wig and I was very active with it - I remember sledding with the kids one day with it on worried it would come off and it didn't. That's the key to a successful wig experience: a good fit.

I drove by this place and it looked like what you might need???

http://www.premierhair.net/

Thank you for this. And to everyone else who has posted. I appreciate your suggestions.

Since I posted several months ago she has lost most of her hair and it continues to be the most brutal part of the treatment for her...every day is tear-filled as she continues to battle. She has yet to find a wig that she is comfortable wearing and says that they are all too hot for her to wear all the time. The results of her most resent CT were not as good as we had hoped and she will continue chemo for a few more rounds, followed by radiation. Thoughts and prayers on her behalf are welcome.

Belinda and I wil add her to our daily prayers. Extremely sorry I can not give you answer to your question.

Belinda and I wil add her to our daily prayers. Extremely sorry I can not give you answer to your question.

Thank you. We moved her into at-home hospice care at end of last week. She's so tired and ready to be done. Prayers and thoughts are appreciated.

So sorry to hear that. Will definitely keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter