Having guests to your villa?

DisneyMama21

Mickey...wait for it...Mouse!!!
We are traveling to Disney for Spring break and have some friends going down at the same time (they are staying off property). They want to visit us at our resort (AKV - Jambo) and maybe have dinner together up in our room. Is this okay? Is there anything they can/can't do at the resort? How about parking? Swimming?

They can visit you with no problem. You can get them a parking pass from the front desk. They would need to tell the guard shack your name and they are going to see you.

The pool is for registered resort guests only.

No problem for small number of day visitors. You need to inform bell services/security that they are coming so they will be allowed in without problem. They can use anything in the resort if with you (e.g., you may need your room key to get through gates at pool). Note if you are considering more than a small number, there can be issues -- once at BWV a guest misused the ability to allow friends to come visit by hosting a party at the pool for 50 people and after the crowd became rowdy, the guest was informed that her friends would have to leave.

Having them up to your room is no problem. Use of the pool, though, is for registered guests only.

We have family who live in Orlando. When we're staying in a studio (2 of us), we'll usually put their names (2 of them) on our reservation, too, even though they won't be sleeping in the room. We're still within the occupancy limit, and putting their names on the resevation gives them full access to the resort ammenities during our stay.

Since we don't use the dining plan, having them on the reservation doesn't cost us anything.

One thing I do is make sure there's no room charging authorized on their keys. Not because I'm afraid they'll charge something to us, but more because I'm not sure they realize they need to protect a room key as if it's a credit card. That means not being able to use online check-in, since there's no way to specify no charging for 2 of the 4 keys when checking in online.

That means not being able to use online check-in, since there's no way to specify no charging for 2 of the 4 keys when checking in online.

You do, however, set up a PIN for charging. Robo on the themeparks board mentioned that ALL purchases now require a PIN (that keeps changing, how exhausting, but that's the most recent info I have), so if the person doesn't have the PIN they can't charge.

You do, however, set up a PIN for charging. Robo on the themeparks board mentioned that ALL purchases now require a PIN (that keeps changing, how exhausting, but that's the most recent info I have), so if the person doesn't have the PIN they can't charge.

That's only using the 'Touch to Pay' terminals. If they were to go to a Table Service restaurant, they could charge to the room without needing to enter a PIN if the KTTW cards allowed charging.

One option is you want them to be able to use the pool is to register them on your room if you have allowable occupancy. In other words, if you have a 2 bedroom but only four people in it, you can add up to 4 more. Or, if you have a 1 bedroom or studio and there's only 2 of you you can add 2 more people. Not sure of your party size or number of guests, but that's an option if it works within the allowable numbers.

I hear you, but the use of those PIN terminals is hit-or-miss. Even at the shops where I could clearly see it sitting on the counter, I was never asked once to input the PIN I'd selected at check-in. (Believe me, I was itching to do it. I'm a geek for new technology and wanted to play with it.) And even if the locations where they have been installed were using them reliably, as orionm says, there are many locations that don't have these terminals. (They were only installed at Epcot retail locations when we were last there.) I'm not sure they'd ever be in restaurants, unless servers start using a tablet or something that they bring to the table.

I'm not sure they'd ever be in restaurants, unless servers start using a tablet or something that they bring to the table.
Now that I think about it, I guess they'll have to have something. They'll have to be able to scan MagicBands for room charges.

I'll feel like I'm at home then.... instead of signing to use credit card we use a pin up here in the majority of places... it'll be no different and I agree with having to enter a pin to approve charges.

What about if under parking restrictions?

Last week we stayed at Boardwalk, and they were under parking restrictions: registered guests or dinner reservations only. They were turning away a lot of cars, so the parking lot was very good all week as we always got a close spot.

Wanted my sis, bil and nieces to come for a vist to Boardwalk and fireworks, but didn't think that would be possible.

Did we mess up, and should have asked for this visitor pass?

Tiger

OKW is great for entertaining outside guests. Plenty of parking, big condos. We've never had anyone check us at the pools -- I guess cause it's not a big pool hopping favorite. Of course the kids are well behaved and I've not seen the pools there close to occupancy.

What about if under parking restrictions?

Last week we stayed at Boardwalk, and they were under parking restrictions: registered guests or dinner reservations only. They were turning away a lot of cars, so the parking lot was very good all week as we always got a close spot.

Wanted my sis, bil and nieces to come for a vist to Boardwalk and fireworks, but didn't think that would be possible.

Did we mess up, and should have asked for this visitor pass?

Tiger

What about the parking lot across the street? You also could have them park at DTD, and have them take the bus.

What about the parking lot across the street? You also could have them park at DTD, and have them take the bus.

Downtown Disney would have taken too long as they were tired cuz they had spent all day at Universal.

Not sure what parking lot across the street, as we always park right at Boardwalk?

Thanks, Tiger

Downtown Disney would have taken too long as they were tired cuz they had spent all day at Universal.

Not sure what parking lot across the street, as we always park right at Boardwalk?

Thanks, Tiger

There's a small parking lot for Boardwalk visitors on the right side of the street. So kind of behind the Hess Gas Station.

There's a small parking lot for Boardwalk visitors on the right side of the street. So kind of behind the Hess Gas Station.

Thanks for letting me know. I have heard about it on here, but didn't know anything about it.

I wish we would have asked, as maybe we could have secured a visitor pass, although they were very busy and turning cars away all day long.

Thanks for the info, Tiger

We had guests visit us at our 1BR at AKL-Jambo. We had a group of about 15 to 20 adults in our villa for a pre-wedding welcome dinner. It was nice. We were respectful.

Some of our group enjoyed the pool after. It was late in the evening, so the pool was nowhere near capacity. All the while, though, we made sure everyone acted respectfully toward other guests. Since we were mostly over 30 YO, we didn't have to worry about teens being rowdy.

I look forward to doing that again when we visit (with a much smaller group) in August.

The next day, no one had problems getting in to the room either - my bridesmaids all came in, as well as my mother and my father's wife.

Just be advised - once they see the DVC, you may get questions from your guests - how much $, etc. My brother (who gave me such a hassle about going to FL for our wedding :furious:) now is an uber-planner for our August trip, and just last week talked to me about setting up a tour of DVC! :rolleyes1

OKW is great for entertaining outside guests. Plenty of parking, big condos. We've never had anyone check us at the pools -- I guess cause it's not a big pool hopping favorite. Of course the kids are well behaved and I've not seen the pools there close to occupancy.

We were at the South Point pool once (staying in that area) and other guests took over the pool. When we found out they were not even staying at OKW and were not DVC members currently staying at a DVC resort, we reported them. They were noisy and took over all the chairs and tables, leaving none for the guests that were staying there.

Please don't bring your offsite guests to the OKW pools unless they are occupants of your villa.

And people shouldn't park at DTD unless they are shopping, dining or doing something at DTD. It shouldn't be used as free parking for "free loaders".

We were at the South Point pool once (staying in that area) and other guests took over the pool. When we found out they were not even staying at OKW and were not DVC members currently staying at a DVC resort, we reported them. They were noisy and took over all the chairs and tables, leaving none for the guests that were staying there.

Please don't bring your offsite guests to the OKW pools unless they are occupants of your villa.

And people shouldn't park at DTD unless they are shopping, dining or doing something at DTD. It shouldn't be used as free parking for "free loaders".

Good for you! I would have done the same. Funny how when people know they are doing something wrong they always mention how well behaved they or their guest are.They feel somehow if good people do something bad then it is OK. Or they feel the event they are having is more special than all the other people's vacation so it is OK to break the rules just this one time. As far as people breaking the pool policy it has nothing to do with good behavior. The DVC members who pay the MF will have to pay more money sooner if a bunch of people who should not be there help run down the pool area before it would normally be run down by only DVC members over a longer period of time. Not to mention a crowded pool is not as enjoyable as one that is not. And people bring 10 or 20+ non members to the pool is unbelievable. People might think I am a grump but I find this behavior totally disrespectful and self entitled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter